Quantcast
Achievements

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Achievements

Achievements, should they stay or go?

Yes 31 29.25%
 
No 13 12.26%
 
Only Sony/Micro should keep them 8 7.55%
 
Nintendo should consider getting them 53 50.00%
 
Total:105

I like trophies and don't completely understand the people against them. If you don't care for them, just ignore them. Nintendo should definitely consider getting them since for some people achievements/trophies are a selling point.  Also, on PS4 you can change your settings so that only you can see your trophies.



Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:

I like trophies and don't completely understand the people against them. If you don't care for them, just ignore them. Nintendo should definitely consider getting them since for some people achievements/trophies are a selling point.  Also, on PS4 you can change your settings so that only you can see your trophies.

Agreed. I don't get the hate for them, they are easily ignored.

Oh and it isn't just PS4 where you can hide them from everybody else, that option is also available on PS3 and Vita and both Xbox consoles.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

I like trophies and don't completely understand the people against them. If you don't care for them, just ignore them. Nintendo should definitely consider getting them since for some people achievements/trophies are a selling point.  Also, on PS4 you can change your settings so that only you can see your trophies.

Agreed. I don't get the hate for them, they are easily ignored.

Oh and it isn't just PS4 where you can hide them from everybody else, that option is also available on PS3 and Vita and both Xbox consoles.

It's like people think that achievement/trophies will ruin the experience, when in reality it depends completely on the user whether they let something as insignicant as achievements/trophies to ruin their experience.

Yeah I've never had an Xbox so I didn't know if you could hide them and since PS4 trophies are connected to your PSN account, I assumed PS3 & PSV were implied.



Sentient_Nebula said:
I don't care for achievements/trophies. And I pretty much ignore them.

That said, I don't think they should go away... I don't really know how to answer the poll with "yes/no" either.

Yeah I messed up on the poll. The yes option is meant for achievements to stay, while the no option is meant for them to go. Sorry about that.



[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

[Wii U/NNID: Jaekization]

[3DS Friend code: 2852-7052-1758]

Ka-pi96 said:
They are incredibly important! The lack of achievements is the main reason I play little to no Nintendo and PC (steam achievements don't count) games.

Please elaborate why Steam achievements (or other systems with achievements like UPlay,iOS game center, Google play game services or Amazon Game circle) "don't count"?

They are working the same way as Xbox achievements and PlayStation trophies. You can track your game progress with them. You can share and compare them with friends. It can be an incentive to get the most out of a good game you like or to try different strategies.



Around the Network

I really don't see the point in achievements. They don't give me any incentive whatsoever to either keep playing a game, replaying a game, or doing 'good' in a game. Nor do they make me search for all kinds of trivial things for little more reason than a tiny text message if I don't feel like it. I honestly think it's the most useless invention to ever come out of the industry. I don't need them to 'track' my progress in games, or what else they're for, my memory is good enough for that. I'd rather take a full list of stats on everything, or something.

That said, I don't care. Not in the slightest, because it doesn't hurt me either way.

I don't care if they stay, I don't care if they go. I don't care if Nintendo doesn't include such a system ever, I don't care if they actually do.



Conina said:
Ka-pi96 said:
They are incredibly important! The lack of achievements is the main reason I play little to no Nintendo and PC (steam achievements don't count) games.

Please elaborate why Steam achievements (or other systems with achievements like UPlay,iOS game center, Google play game services or Amazon Game circle) "don't count"?

They are working the same way as Xbox achievements and PlayStation trophies. You can track your game progress with them. You can share and compare them with friends. It can be an incentive to get the most out of a good game you like or to try different strategies.

Because they don't add up to anything. There is no place to look at a summary of your achievements, no place to even see which games have achievements unless you check each one individually. They have no overall value, there is no incentive to actually get them.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Conina said:
Ka-pi96 said:
They are incredibly important! The lack of achievements is the main reason I play little to no Nintendo and PC (steam achievements don't count) games.

Please elaborate why Steam achievements (or other systems with achievements like UPlay,iOS game center, Google play game services or Amazon Game circle) "don't count"?

They are working the same way as Xbox achievements and PlayStation trophies. You can track your game progress with them. You can share and compare them with friends. It can be an incentive to get the most out of a good game you like or to try different strategies.

From what I've seen Steam achievements are just used in a highly inflationary way, losing the meaning of doing them. (at least to me)
It's like they allow the devs to do them in whatever way they like.

Tales of Maj'Eyal has almost 1400 achievements
Team Fortress 2 over 500
Age of Empires 2 HD ~250
etc.

http://astats.astats.nl/astats/Steam_Games.php?DisplayType=Achievements

when I started TF2 it had maybe 70 or so. There's really no point in trying to get them when there can be weekly updates adding new achievements. Not good for completionists.

Also no really unified score system. Sony has levels and specific kind of trophies that add to the progress depending on their difficulty within the game. Now 360/X1 uses the same distribution with Gamerscore and sure there are some terribly easy-to-add-Gamerscore games that are able to skew the meaning of a high score/level, but those are few.

My ranking:
1. MS Achievements
2. Sony Trophies
3. Steam Achievements

MS being at the top for the only reason that they started it with the 360 and thus made ALL games compatible with it. Other than that there are pretty much the same as trophies.



Barozi said:

Tales of Maj'Eyal has almost 1400 achievements

I'd never even heard of that game, but that's just crazy!



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Unified achievements are nice I guess, but not necessary. Games have had achievements for a very long time now, just not a unified system.



Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling