Quantcast
MICROSOFT FY15 Q2: Analyst estimates beaten again. Revenue $26.5bn, Op income $7.8bn. Xbox 6.6m shipped.

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MICROSOFT FY15 Q2: Analyst estimates beaten again. Revenue $26.5bn, Op income $7.8bn. Xbox 6.6m shipped.

Quarterly combined Xbox shipments?

2.5m to 3.0m 58 22.92%
 
3.1m to 3.5m 12 4.74%
 
3.6m to 4.0m 13 5.14%
 
4.1m to 4.5m 9 3.56%
 
4.6m to 5.0m 17 6.72%
 
5.1m to 5.5m 14 5.53%
 
5.6m to 6.0m 17 6.72%
 
6.1m to 6.5m 16 6.32%
 
6.6m to 7.0m 58 22.92%
 
7.1m to 7.5m 37 14.62%
 
Total:251
Zekkyou said:
Why can't they just release the individual platform shipment numbers? I really don't understand what they're trying to achieve in clouding the numbers (same goes for Sony). It seems so pointless.

If anyone can give me a proper explanation, i'd be interested to hear.


MS to hide the fact they are being soundly beaten by PS4.

Sony to hide Vita's terrible sales

And probably because the overall figure is what share holders care about most and they aren't interested in breaking it down so guys on forums can discuss them



Around the Network

I don't believe these Xbox shipments. I think Microsoft is lying.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

true_fan said:
sully1311 said:
true_fan said:
So how many are we assuming are sitting on shelves according the VG tracking.


1m. That sounds fine to me too.

IDK that sounds too high. 1 million on shelves during the slow months would be too much, I doubt retailers ordered that many.

Given the success of the price cut, I could see some serious channel stuffing. It also remains to be seen how much of an impact wholesale resellers had, trying to screw the customer by buying low in bulk. If you're MS, you really don't care who's ordering lol.



Zekkyou said:
Why can't they just release the individual platform shipment numbers? I really don't understand what they're trying to achieve in clouding the numbers (same goes for Sony). It seems so pointless.

If anyone can give me a proper explanation, i'd be interested to hear.


Because the media would compare the numbers to Sony directly, and would paint MS in a negative light.



Insidb said:
It looks like they emphasized the increased market share of the X1 to assuage investors, so they can expect a return on the back end (XBL, DLC, etc.). While the revenue falloff is significant, it is definitely tolerable for a company as successful as MS. There is a lot of rhetoric about investor tolerance for the X1 division losses, but I'd imagine that MS is a Delaware C corp., where investors effectively have no rights (This is how big business is always done.). The only tolerance that matters is that of executives and whether or not they want to ride the storm out. Since they can, it is a choice. Sony had a similar predicament with their mobile devices segment, but they had to cut the division to prevent the damage it was doing to the overall bottom line. From a financial perspective, the X1 may be a loser, but the brand is too valuable to offhandedly discontinue. If anything, this press release shows they are committed to defending and extending its lifecycle. If I put that much money into development, I'd sure as hell be doing the same.


What? You do realize that the 2 divisions that hold the X1 and X1 software had gross margin (profit) of close to $1Billion.



Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
riecsou said:
VGC seems to be spot on with the tracking:
Xbox One and 360 at 6 Millions and 83.3 Millions as of October 4th
Xbox One and 360 at 11 Millions and 84.4 Millions as of January 3rd.
So that means Xbox One and 360 sold 5 millions and 1.1 millions during the quarter for a total of 6.2 Xbox Sold. Leaving 400 K on shelves + whatever was on shelves for the previous quarter. Unless the previous numbers on shelves was really high, that is a very good tracking by VGC

Nah. - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=197304&page=1#



 

Insidb said:
true_fan said:
sully1311 said:
true_fan said:
So how many are we assuming are sitting on shelves according the VG tracking.


1m. That sounds fine to me too.

IDK that sounds too high. 1 million on shelves during the slow months would be too much, I doubt retailers ordered that many.

Given the success of the price cut, I could see some serious channel stuffing. It also remains to be seen how much of an impact wholesale resellers had, trying to screw the customer by buying low in bulk. If you're MS, you really don't care who's ordering lol.

MS only ships what retailers order. 



Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
Insidb said:
It looks like they emphasized the increased market share of the X1 to assuage investors, so they can expect a return on the back end (XBL, DLC, etc.). While the revenue falloff is significant, it is definitely tolerable for a company as successful as MS. There is a lot of rhetoric about investor tolerance for the X1 division losses, but I'd imagine that MS is a Delaware C corp., where investors effectively have no rights (This is how big business is always done.). The only tolerance that matters is that of executives and whether or not they want to ride the storm out. Since they can, it is a choice. Sony had a similar predicament with their mobile devices segment, but they had to cut the division to prevent the damage it was doing to the overall bottom line. From a financial perspective, the X1 may be a loser, but the brand is too valuable to offhandedly discontinue. If anything, this press release shows they are committed to defending and extending its lifecycle. If I put that much money into development, I'd sure as hell be doing the same.


What? You do realize that the 2 divisions that hold the X1 and X1 software had gross margin (profit) of close to $1Billion.

Gross margin is not profit.



kowenicki said:

-snip


Thanks , I appreciate the info.

To be honest, it has been a while since I looked at MS from an economic perspective.I was not aware of all these changes happening within the corporation, but I am liking the direction in which is going, it looks like a pretty safe investment(not too fond of those), and since my financial adviser told me to make some of these, well why the hell no. 

Anyways thank you for your time, and have a good day.



thx1139 said:
Insidb said:
It looks like they emphasized the increased market share of the X1 to assuage investors, so they can expect a return on the back end (XBL, DLC, etc.). While the revenue falloff is significant, it is definitely tolerable for a company as successful as MS. There is a lot of rhetoric about investor tolerance for the X1 division losses, but I'd imagine that MS is a Delaware C corp., where investors effectively have no rights (This is how big business is always done.). The only tolerance that matters is that of executives and whether or not they want to ride the storm out. Since they can, it is a choice. Sony had a similar predicament with their mobile devices segment, but they had to cut the division to prevent the damage it was doing to the overall bottom line. From a financial perspective, the X1 may be a loser, but the brand is too valuable to offhandedly discontinue. If anything, this press release shows they are committed to defending and extending its lifecycle. If I put that much money into development, I'd sure as hell be doing the same.


What? You do realize that the 2 divisions that hold the X1 and X1 software had gross margin (profit) of close to $1Billion.

Gross Margain isn't profit by the way.