Quantcast
B-but they say PC requires hours of modding to get games to work... /s

Forums - PC Discussion - B-but they say PC requires hours of modding to get games to work... /s

I'm sorry, who said that? Names, otherwise you are pulling that out of your ass.



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
ofrm1 said:
rolltide101x said:
sc94597 said:

No 450$ PC is going to match the PS4 on anything lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds

*edit* those are some excellent builds. Some people done some good shopping on that thread. But does not include the price of a mouse, keyboard, monitor (most people already have HDTVs and an HDTV as a monitor is annoying but possible...) Windows, etc.


The cost of a mouse and keyboard is around 5 dollars at a thrift store. You might even be able to find a monitor there for 30 dollars as well. Windows is $65 and it unnecessary as you can use Linux.

It's important to know that they really haven't done much of any work. They just went to pcpartpicker, which really does all the work for you.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ofrm1/saved/2c8zK8

That's actually a more expensive build, too. I could have cut several corners and dropped the price more than $50.

Just goes to show you that price is no longer an argument for consoles as they easily will cost more than a pc will.

LOL I am a Linux user and I do not even buy that. Lets put the average gamer on Ubuntu and play Windows games using Wine with a garbage keyboard and mouse and a garbage keyboard XD 



CladInShadows said:
vivster said:
Mr.Playstation said:
errorpwns said:

Yet somehow my mom was able to open skyrim and just play it. No setting changes, no technical issues. No downloading of patches after buying a disc in a store. Just download it in minutes on steam and play it. She has no technical PC skills. Her PC was cheaper to build than a used PS3 too and runs it better than a PS3 could ever dream of running it. Required no extra talent to run.

I have a hard time beliving that it was cheaper than a second hand PS3.

Maybe he means second hand PS4 and runs like PS2. Just some ill placed typos there.

Considering that my wife's non-gaming HP laptop can run PS3 quality games for less than 500 bucks...purchased more than a year ago, I don't see the above statement being too far from the truth for a desktop.


Just out of curiosity, what's the model of that laptop?



Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah

michael_stutzer said:
ofrm1 said:
michael_stutzer said:

You can't do a comparison like that. If you include 5$ keyboard and mouse, you should substract the price of the DS4 and add a 5$ gamepad. My mouse was 50$ and DS4 costs about the same.

Also how is Windows unnecessary? Very few games  support Lİnux ( though it is improving). With a quality mouse, keyboard, and 65$ Windows, you are way over console price. 

No offense, but your mouse isn't the standard here. You can find mice for free, but I actually figured people wouldn't be that thrifty. What do you mean add a $5 gamepad? Are you saying replace the DS4 with some crappy gamepad? Can you even do that? I don't own a PS4, so I don't know, but I figured the system would be closed to their controllers, or dedicated third party manufacturers like madcatz, in which case they'd be cheaper than the DS4, but still at least $30, likely $40. Either way, you can't find a regular DS4 for $5, but you can find a mouse and keyboard for free, or for $5, and this isn't hard. It's remarkably easy.

As far as Linux support for games:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2824526/steam-for-linux-tops-700-games-as-big-name-games-increasingly-call-it-home.html

And that's just for steam alone. SteamOS is linux-based, so of course support for Linux has been expanding for the last year.

As far as I'm concerned, my comparison is more than fair.  Not to mention that I'm going a more eccentric route by avoiding AMD and insisting on Haswell with the G3258 which results in the build being more expensive. If I had gone AMD, I would have shaved off at least $50. So the notion that you can't beat a PS4 for $450 is just wrong. Sorry, but since the Maxwell graphics cards have come out, the AMD has slashed the prices of their entire line, meaning that you can get a cheap AMD CPU, and a cheap AMD GPU which tend to be the most expensive parts on a PC by a wide margin. If we up the price to $550, the performance gulf expands greatly as an r9 280x is in price-range then, and that will run laps around the consoles.

PS4 features a high quality controller. A 5$ mouse+keyboard combo will be crappy. I don't know how it is so hard to understand.  You can't just skimp on one of the most vital points in gaming and say this is cheaper. Of course you can find a mouse for free. You can even find a computer for free if you look at garbage bins long enough.

It is easy to play the numbers game. Do BF4 support Linux for example? Unity? The list can go on.

My point was specific to that point so you don't need to be sorry I didn't say anything about power. My upcoming PC in the pcpartpicker is about 10 Tflops. Just waiting to see 980 TI to see whether it is worth the premium over the 980. Going to do SLI with one of them.

sorry bud but don't get your hope up for the 980Ti as it's very unlikely, http://wccftech.com/tsmc-buys-14b-worth-equipment-16nm-volume-prediction-begins-q2q3-2015/



Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.

So, is your mom single?



Around the Network

rolltide101x said:

LOL I am a Linux user and I do not even buy that. Lets put the average gamer on Ubuntu and play Windows games using Wine with a garbage keyboard and mouse and a garbage keyboard XD 

Over 18% of all steam games now support linux. That number will rise even more dramatically because SteamOS is their priority at the moment.

michael_stutzer said:

It is easy to play the numbers game. Do BF4 support Linux for example? Unity? The list can go on.PS4 features a high quality controller. A 5$ mouse+keyboard combo will be crappy. I don't know how it is so hard to understand.  You can't just skimp on one of the most vital points in gaming and say this is cheaper. Of course you can find a mouse for free. You can even find a computer for free if you look at garbage bins long enough.

High quality is subjective. Trying to argue this won't get us anywhere because your preferences for quality are going to be different than mine which are going to be different for the next person. The fact remains that you can game with bargain bin stuff, but you can't game on the PS4 without a controller, and that is going to cost way more than $5.

Yeah, the list of AAA publishers is low, but by next year that won't be the case as additional steam machines are released. Also, this is irrelevant as I already stated that I could drop the cost of the build below $450 with a copy of windows. Although I don't personally like using AMD processors for gaming, they do result in sub-400 dollar builds which can edge out the next-gen consoles.

r3tr0gam3r1337 said:

 sorry bud but don't get your hope up for the 980Ti as it's very unlikely, http://wccftech.com/tsmc-buys-14b-worth-equipment-16nm-volume-prediction-begins-q2q3-2015/

 

 

So is the 380x expected to compete with the 980, or is it supposed to be better than it? Because if it's supposed to be a step above it, then it sounds like Nvidia is going to be in second place for awhile.



errorpwns said:

Yet somehow my mom was able to open skyrim and just play it. No setting changes, no technical issues. No downloading of patches after buying a disc in a store. Just download it in minutes on steam and play it. She has no technical PC skills. Her PC was cheaper to build than a used PS3 too and runs it better than a PS3 could ever dream of running it. Required no extra talent to run.


B-but most people don't say that (@ the title)? There's an infinite amount of reasons why someone would choose to game on a console rather than a PC. Its preference. And great! How does her PC play Uncharted? See? Preference.

 



ofrm1 said:

rolltide101x said:

LOL I am a Linux user and I do not even buy that. Lets put the average gamer on Ubuntu and play Windows games using Wine with a garbage keyboard and mouse and a garbage keyboard XD 

Over 18% of all steam games now support linux. That number will rise even more dramatically because SteamOS is their priority at the moment.


I use Ubuntu everyday on 3 different PCs, Linux gets nothing but indies. The only real AAA game I can think of on Linux is the Civilization series. But I can run most indie games on Wine in Ubuntu but that is not for the average user. Do not pretend Linux gets good game support because it does not. Hopefully SteamOS will catch on and change that



Why are people still commenting in this thread when the Op has basically just vanished and has offered no support or argument about anything that he/she sated? And used the PS3(a freaking almost 10 year old gaming system at that) for something that he feels people have said? As it has been pointed out here in the states you can get a used PS3 for about $150 dollars and he is claiming his mom PC which would cost less than $150 to build can run and play it better.....why even argue with something like that?



The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

rolltide101x said:
ofrm1 said:

rolltide101x said:

LOL I am a Linux user and I do not even buy that. Lets put the average gamer on Ubuntu and play Windows games using Wine with a garbage keyboard and mouse and a garbage keyboard XD 

Over 18% of all steam games now support linux. That number will rise even more dramatically because SteamOS is their priority at the moment.


I use Ubuntu everyday on 3 different PCs, Linux gets nothing but indies. The only real AAA game I can think of on Linux is the Civilization series. But I can run most indie games on Wine in Ubuntu but that is not for the average user. Do not pretend Linux gets good game support because it does not. Hopefully SteamOS will catch on and change that

Borderlands, The Witcher 2, Metro Redux, XCOM, any Valve games. My point is that the number is much better than it was just a year ago and will get even better as more steam machines are released.