Quantcast
Watch Dogs shifts almost no copies on its Wii U launch in UK

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Watch Dogs shifts almost no copies on its Wii U launch in UK

Soundwave said:

I think my general point is sound ... very, very few developers can consistently create casual games that are hits.

Some have been able to manage 1-3, but I've yet to see any one developer in the world consistently catch lightning in a bottle time after time after time. 

Because it's not workable. It's like asking a musician to make a Gangam Style viral hit every year ... it's impossible (sorry Psy). 

Your general point is flawed because it is contradicted by the facts.

Brain Training, Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World, New Super Mario Bros., Brain Training 2, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

That's ten games that meet your criteria within the span of five years (2005-2009), all made by the same developer. And that's just covering the big hits and ignoring titles that sold in the 2-5m range.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

IT's no surprise Ubisoft spit in the face of nintendo fanboys .

 

 

Fuck you Ubisoft,no one cares about you games.




phaedruss said:
There were some on here expecting a million lifetime or some ridiculous crap LOLOLOL


There are also some who think wii u will outsell xbox one



chidori-chan2 said:
IT's no surprise Ubisoft spit in the face of nintendo fanboys .


Really? Why is that exactly?



RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

I think my general point is sound ... very, very few developers can consistently create casual games that are hits.

Some have been able to manage 1-3, but I've yet to see any one developer in the world consistently catch lightning in a bottle time after time after time. 

Because it's not workable. It's like asking a musician to make a Gangam Style viral hit every year ... it's impossible (sorry Psy). 

Your general point is flawed because it is contradicted by the facts.

Brain Training, Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World, New Super Mario Bros., Brain Training 2, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

That's ten games that meet your criteria within the span of five years (2005-2009), all made by the same developer. And that's just covering the big hits and ignoring titles that sold in the 2-5m range.


Well half of those IP existed before, Mario and Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart were on the GameCube. I don't really even understand the logic, you're mad at Nintendo for not making these games anymore ... yet they still make basically all of them? 

In terms of Brain Training, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit ... yes they certainly hit the jackpot there. 

But since then? Wii Music. Nope. Nintendo Land. Nope. Style Savvy. Nope. Art Academy. Nope. Tomodachi Collection? Big in Japan, not a blockbuster hit anywhere else. None of these have broken out into big hits comparable to Wii Sports or Brain Training. Some of these may have done OK, but they weren't enough to keep casuals, for that they needed another Wii Sports and they failed with Nintendo Land. 

And meanwhile Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U both floped, and Nintendogs + cats underperformed and could not carry the 3DS even for a couple of months (Mario had to come and bail them out)

Against Apple they just can't compete. Nintendo was lucky that they got to that market for a short period of time before Apple moved in with the iPhone. 



Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Well half of those IP existed before, Mario and Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart were on the GameCube. 

In terms of Brain Training, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit ... yes they certainly hit the jackpot there. 

But since then? Wii Music. Nope. Nintendo Land. Nope. Style Savvy. Nope. Art Academy. Nope. Tomodachi Collection? Big in Japan, not a blockbuster hit anywhere else. None of these have broken out into big hits. 

And meanwhile Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U both floped, and Nintendogs + cats underperformed and could not carry the 3DS even for a couple of months. 

Even if you only want to count half of those games for arbitrary reasons, the number still comfortably exceeds your previous goal posts.

Your general point doesn't hold water.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

chidori-chan2 said:

IT's no surprise Ubisoft spit in the face of nintendo fanboys .

 

 

Fuck you Ubisoft,no one cares about you games.

If that was true their games wouldn't be selling millions of units.



RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

Well half of those IP existed before, Mario and Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart were on the GameCube. 

In terms of Brain Training, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit ... yes they certainly hit the jackpot there. 

But since then? Wii Music. Nope. Nintendo Land. Nope. Style Savvy. Nope. Art Academy. Nope. Tomodachi Collection? Big in Japan, not a blockbuster hit anywhere else. None of these have broken out into big hits. 

And meanwhile Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U both floped, and Nintendogs + cats underperformed and could not carry the 3DS even for a couple of months. 

Even if you only want to count half of those games for arbitrary reasons, the number still comfortably exceeds your previous goal posts.

Your general point doesn't hold water.

My point that it's very hard to repeat casual success doesn't hold water?

Nintendo, Guitar Hero, Just Dance, Angry Birds, Candy Crush, etc. tell a fairly different story. 

You can go to Vegas. You can even maybe hit a jackpot on day 1 and day 2, but if you're going to tell me that's a valid strategy for making money, I'd say no way. If you gamble, you may be able to get lucky for a day or two, but eventually you will get burned. 

Nintendo can't compete against Apple anyway, even if they could make some magically great Wiimote game today or even release a full-on casual console with nothing but Wii ____ titles and "approved for Mom" games released all year long ... it would not sell today. 

Wii filled a gap that was not being served at all in 2006. Today there are a million ways for a person who doesn't feel comfortable playing "hard" games with physical controllers to play. They're carrying it in their pocket virtually 24/7 for starters. 

And yes, Apple even trumped Nintendo with their interface ... multitouch screen is easier and more intuitive than even the Wiimote and stylus control of the DS was. 3 year old kids can pick up an iPad and start playing games without much fuss. With my 6 year old niece I still have to guide her through the Wii menu when she wants to use Netflix on it to watch cartoons because she doesn't understand that you have to point the Wiimote at the sensor bar or that the Wiimote sometimes needs to be recalibrated. 



Im one of the 20 people in the UK that bought this game. I got it for a good price, and so far its been a competent port. Im a Wii U only owner,and there is some of us out there that dont have the luxury of owning multiple consoles. Im enjoying the game and pleased it wasnt cancelled. Ubi wont make anything from it, but thats their problem not mine. Wii U is my primary console because Nintendo games and exclusive matter to me most, and i cherry pick the odd 3rd party games that interest me most.



GTAexpert said:
chidori-chan2 said:

IT's no surprise Ubisoft spit in the face of nintendo fanboys .

 

 

Fuck you Ubisoft,no one cares about you games.

If that was true their games wouldn't be selling millions of units.


True. I wish their games were shit. Its tough loving the developers, but hating the publisher:(