Quantcast
Eurogamer: Mario Kart 8 "best looking console game of the year"

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: Mario Kart 8 "best looking console game of the year"

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:
Nem said:

Mario kart also has the grey of the road and the brown of the dirt. But then it has so much more aswell.

Look at the screenshot in the last page. Theres also red, blue, white and alot more colourful shades of colors. Everything on those games is dark grey and brown, even the green of the trees. Realistic? Definitly! More appealing or impressive design wise? No, its as boring as it can be. Its alot more impressive to see a new world created from scratch than a rip from real life.


Why is it boring? DC seems as amazing as it can, it looks incredibly beautiful, the scenarios are outstanding, the cars also look amazing, it's all in total another level compared to MK8, really.

Art can be subjective, you can find one thing and another person something totally different, but there's no denying which is the game that looks better here.



Squared mountains, circle trees, low definition chars, vehicles, etc (we can easily see the edges from everything that try to be angular), poor lightning and shadows and that's go on...



The road actually looks like it's not a carpet, the trees look real, cars are beautiful, lightning is great, etc.

There's not even a comparision to be made here.

MK8 can have a fantasy look, but that's not even close to making it "look better" than DC.


Yes, we know that on a technical level Forza has more polygons and higher definition textures, but graphics are more than that. Good graphics are a feast on the eyes, not a feast on the numbers. Mario Kart 8 definitly achieves this in a more sucessful way. Especially at 60 FPS. It makes all the difference.



Around the Network
Nem said:
BraLoD said:
Nem said:
 

Mario kart also has the grey of the road and the brown of the dirt. But then it has so much more aswell.

Look at the screenshot in the last page. Theres also red, blue, white and alot more colourful shades of colors. Everything on those games is dark grey and brown, even the green of the trees. Realistic? Definitly! More appealing or impressive design wise? No, its as boring as it can be. Its alot more impressive to see a new world created from scratch than a rip from real life.


Why is it boring? DC seems as amazing as it can, it looks incredibly beautiful, the scenarios are outstanding, the cars also look amazing, it's all in total another level compared to MK8, really.

Art can be subjective, you can find one thing and another person something totally different, but there's no denying which is the game that looks better here.



Squared mountains, circle trees, low definition chars, vehicles, etc (we can easily see the edges from everything that try to be angular), poor lightning and shadows and that's go on...



The road actually looks like it's not a carpet, the trees look real, cars are beautiful, lightning is great, etc.

There's not even a comparision to be made here.

MK8 can have a fantasy look, but that's not even close to making it "look better" than DC.


Yes, we know that on a technical level Forza has more polygons and higher definition textures, but graphics are more than that. Good graphics are a feast on the eyes, not a feast on the numbers. Mario Kart 8 definitly achieves this in a more sucessful way. Especially at 60 FPS. It makes all the difference.

According to you any cartoony game automatically looks better than a realistic game. Maybe you dislike reality then.

Driveclub barely has any grey in it, I have actually PLAYED it myself (I had bought it at launch) and it looks like a beautiful depiction of reality. Your just taking sides with MK8 here cuz its a Nintendo game.



GTAexpert said:
Nem said:
 


Yes, we know that on a technical level Forza has more polygons and higher definition textures, but graphics are more than that. Good graphics are a feast on the eyes, not a feast on the numbers. Mario Kart 8 definitly achieves this in a more sucessful way. Especially at 60 FPS. It makes all the difference.

According to you any cartoony game automatically looks better than a realistic game. Maybe you dislike reality then.

Driveclub barely has any grey in it, I have actually PLAYED it myself (I had bought it at launch) and it looks like a beautiful depiction of reality. Your just taking sides with MK8 here cuz its a Nintendo game.


I think its funny that you think that. Is it cause Mario Kart looks cartoony? No, what i find boring is a direct rip of reality. Say mass effect has good graphics in many areas. Its realistic looking but it can be original and impressive. FFXV looks impressive aswell and its realistic looking.

I'm taking MK8 side because its true. From all the games i saw and played this year, MK8 was the one that impressed me the most and ran in a beatiful 60fps. Perhaps if those other games were running at 60fps they could have impresssed me aswell. At 30fps, there is just no chance.



curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:
walsufnir said:
Hehe, that will be upsetting many users because they confuse technical aspects with good looking. Mario Kart on WiiU is indeed a very, very good looking game! I am glad they didn't use an Xbox One or PS4 title by default because way better hardware.

But he said best looking console game, which means he took the technical aspects into the consideration as well, otherwise he would have just said best looking game period.

One can gloat about the subjective beauty of MK8's artstyle, but that kind of argument isnt enough to back up his statement of MK8 being the best looking game of 2014. The fact is, when we take technology into consideration (which thr author clearly did), MK8 doesnt even come close to your averige PS4 game, let alone being the best one out there

Big hole in your logic: maybe he thought a non-console game this game was artistically prettier? 

We all know what people mean when they use the words 'best looking' and 'console' in the same sentence, lets not act naive



Nem said:
GTAexpert said:
Nem said:
 


Yes, we know that on a technical level Forza has more polygons and higher definition textures, but graphics are more than that. Good graphics are a feast on the eyes, not a feast on the numbers. Mario Kart 8 definitly achieves this in a more sucessful way. Especially at 60 FPS. It makes all the difference.

According to you any cartoony game automatically looks better than a realistic game. Maybe you dislike reality then.

Driveclub barely has any grey in it, I have actually PLAYED it myself (I had bought it at launch) and it looks like a beautiful depiction of reality. Your just taking sides with MK8 here cuz its a Nintendo game.


I think its funny that you think that. Is it cause Mario Kart looks cartoony? No, what i find boring is a direct rip of reality. Say mass effect has good graphics in many areas. Its realistic looking but it can be original and impressive. FFXV looks impressive aswell and its realistic looking.

I'm taking MK8 side because its true. From all the games i saw and played this year, MK8 was the one that impressed me the most and ran in a beatiful 60fps. Perhaps if those other games were running at 60fps they could have impresssed me aswell. At 30fps, there is just no chance.

Have you even played Driveclub? It doesn't seem so, as anyone who has played both DC and MK8 will agree with me. Framerate doesn't make as big a difference as you make it out to be. MK8 graphics have a charisma, but Driveclub's graphics are very beautiful, impressive and stunning at the same time. Even Forza Horizon 2 on XB1 looks better than MK8, inspite of being open-world.



Around the Network

I don't think I'd disagree. Having both MK8 and Drive Club, there's no doubt Drive Club has a LOT more technically going on, but MK8 looks perfect wherever you look. It's a complete picture, all the scenery is in place, there's no "okay, that's a lower resolution texture there. That scenery could have done with a few more polygons" etc which as great as it looks, Drive Club suffers from.

60fps also always looks better than 30fps.



RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Kindergarden logic never ceases to amaze me, even more when it comes from teens who think they are all-knowing men...
Do the Bender! Do the Bender! Do the Bender! Hoooooooooooo!!!



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

What about this:

`



GTAexpert said:

Have you even played Driveclub? It doesn't seem so, as anyone who has played both DC and MK8 will agree with me. Framerate doesn't make as big a difference as you make it out to be. MK8 graphics have a charisma, but Driveclub's graphics are very beautiful, impressive and stunning at the same time. Even Forza Horizon 2 on XB1 looks better than MK8, inspite of being open-world.


Instead of aimlessly making claims like @bold, stop your damn fanboying. Objectively look at the games. Where Driveclub, which I personally played fails in places Mario Kart makes up for it. 

Driveclub has some nice locations, but Mario Kart 8 seemlessly is a visual experience. From start to finish you are awed by the environments, the design, the artsyle, the detail and the fact it runs at 60fps is a plus. 

Yes Driveclub is more detailed and has more filtered effects to make you think what you are thinking, but when you get down to the nitty gritty it's not about what you can see, it's about what you can't see. No one is disagreeing with you because it's your opinion so i suggest you start respecting everyone elses opinions. Your whole multipage rant started because you disagreed with an opinion and think it's wrong because it's not your opinion. 

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags



Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:

But he said best looking console game, which means he took the technical aspects into the consideration as well, otherwise he would have just said best looking game period.

One can gloat about the subjective beauty of MK8's artstyle, but that kind of argument isnt enough to back up his statement of MK8 being the best looking game of 2014. The fact is, when we take technology into consideration (which thr author clearly did), MK8 doesnt even come close to your averige PS4 game, let alone being the best one out there

Big hole in your logic: maybe he thought a non-console game this game was artistically prettier? 

We all know what people mean when they use the words 'best looking' and 'console' in the same sentence, lets not act naive

But let's look at the context, in the paragraph where he makes the proclamation he never mentions any technical terminology, he just talks about design touches:

"It's that detail that made Mario Kart 8 sing earlier this year - from small animations like the Luigi death stare that became a viral phenomenon to subtler, more meaningful changes like the introduction of new boost mechanics that always kept the player engaged. It's that detail, too, that meant while others were preoccupied with the new generation arms race, Nintendo quietly produced the best-looking console game of the year. That detail is all present and correct in the new tracks and riders, making for some great little flourishes. Like how Tanooki Mario turns to stone when performing his stunt boost, momentarily frozen in mid-air, or how rupees replace coins throughout the Hyrule Castle circuit."