Quantcast
The Silent Hill P.T demo is amazing.

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Silent Hill P.T demo is amazing.

sundin13 said:
As a playable teaser it is great, but if the game is anything like this, I will think it is absolute garbage...

care to elaborate on that?



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Areym said:
sundin13 said:
As a playable teaser it is great, but if the game is anything like this, I will think it is absolute garbage...

care to elaborate on that?


Sure...basically, the design of PT was purposely obtuse. You as a player weren't really supposed to know what was going on and what you were supposed to be doing and to go even further, half of the "goals" were just pixel hunting. Now, as a Playable Teaser, which is essentially marketing material, that can work. It gets the player interested in the game and it increases communication on forums and whatnot. But would that be good for a game? It was stated that a lot of the teaser was supposed to be the interactions between players online trying to figure everyhing out and that they expected it to take two weeks for someone to beat it. 

That model does not work for a horror game. Its cool at first, and the presentation for PT was great, and you could have fun if you didn't want to go all the way, but a horror game that basically requires you to go onto message boards or hunt for pixels for hours on end would not work (imo). A lot of people complain about when horror games force other NPC on you, breaking the solidarity and aloneness that horror games give you...well PT shoves the entire internet at you. That isn't exactly ideal for immersion. It might work for some experimental social game (maybe on mobile or something), but as a horror game, it breaks the core rules of the genre. 

It worked in PT because it was a small chunk and you could see creepy stuff by just walking around for half an hour, but make it bigger or even a part of a bigger experience and it just isn't self contained enough to work. It would need a much more intuitive "goal" system which would lead the player more, because I'll tell you, pixel hunting sucks (see: Metroid: Other M's find the furball or the archaic bullshit of old point and click games) and walkthroughs destroy immersion (I don't know about you, but whenever I'm forced to play a walkthrough, the game loses a little something...).



There's a rumor going around that Daryl from The Walking Dead is going to be gay (like the awesome Jesus from The Walking Dead comics). If this happens this season, I wonder if it will have any impact on Daryl's fans and if so, any impact on Norman Reedus in this game.

The demo was pretty awesome, btw. Not graphically impressive by any means but incredibly atmospheric and scary. Much like Outlast in my opinion.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Kane1389 said:
badgenome said:
I should get my PS4 today, and PT is the very first thing I'm going to play.


You wont get far without checking for solutions online


Very true.



kowenicki said:
Am I right in thinking this "demo" has nothing to do with the actual Silent hill game?

After the reception I don't think they will change it.

The new Silent Hill trailer at TGS showed the same game with other places/enviropments.



Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Areym said:
sundin13 said:
As a playable teaser it is great, but if the game is anything like this, I will think it is absolute garbage...

care to elaborate on that?


Sure...basically, the design of PT was purposely obtuse. You as a player weren't really supposed to know what was going on and what you were supposed to be doing and to go even further, half of the "goals" were just pixel hunting. Now, as a Playable Teaser, which is essentially marketing material, that can work. It gets the player interested in the game and it increases communication on forums and whatnot. But would that be good for a game? It was stated that a lot of the teaser was supposed to be the interactions between players online trying to figure everyhing out and that they expected it to take two weeks for someone to beat it. 

That model does not work for a horror game. Its cool at first, and the presentation for PT was great, and you could have fun if you didn't want to go all the way, but a horror game that basically requires you to go onto message boards or hunt for pixels for hours on end would not work (imo). A lot of people complain about when horror games force other NPC on you, breaking the solidarity and aloneness that horror games give you...well PT shoves the entire internet at you. That isn't exactly ideal for immersion. It might work for some experimental social game (maybe on mobile or something), but as a horror game, it breaks the core rules of the genre. 

It worked in PT because it was a small chunk and you could see creepy stuff by just walking around for half an hour, but make it bigger or even a part of a bigger experience and it just isn't self contained enough to work. It would need a much more intuitive "goal" system which would lead the player more, because I'll tell you, pixel hunting sucks (see: Metroid: Other M's find the furball or the archaic bullshit of old point and click games) and walkthroughs destroy immersion (I don't know about you, but whenever I'm forced to play a walkthrough, the game loses a little something...).

Those are pretty spot on, honestly. PT is certainly a fantastic demo/teaser but as a whole, it is frustrating because it is so confusing. It creates a sense of "WTF do I do now" and in that state on confusing, I think you are much easier to be scared.

The disclaimer at the end was well placed, as most fans don't dig first person view it seems.  I also can't see myself having to go between game and walkthrough (at least, on my first go) just to get through the game. It will be interesting how the final game will end up and if it will be as unnerving as PT was.



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

zumnupy10 said:

Played it last night after work and it's frighting as hell.  I'm amazed with Konami's games for PS4 so far.

MGS:GZ, PES 2015 and P.T are high quality games.   Hope this means a rebirth for Japanese home console games.


Couldn't have said it any better. Konami hitting this gen running while the likes of EA are slipping up. Just incase you don't know Fifa 15 on the PS4 at least is a glitchy laggy mess. 

The demo was great but I hate scary games! Actually played MGS: GZ today and it's crazy how good it looks. The phantom pain will be one of the few really hyped AAA games that actually meets the hype upon release. I've no doubt about it. In Kojima San we trust. "That was Perfect" :D 



d21lewis said:

The demo was pretty awesome, btw. Not graphically impressive by any means but incredibly atmospheric and scary. Much like Outlast in my opinion.


????

The games runs on Fox Engine, and it looks almost photo realistic



KazumaKiryu said:
yes, you are right.

cant wait of metal gear solid 5 phantom pain - best game ever maybe.

Yeah, MGSV Phantom Pain is shaping up like a true Masterpiece.  PS4 Version thanks.



”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.