Quantcast
Destiny and the flaws in game reviewing systems.

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny and the flaws in game reviewing systems.

lord_of_flood said:
While I in general think the reviews system needs to be overhauled in favor of a common critical language as well as a critics association for games, what you're presenting is simply personal opinions and nothing more. IMO, it's totally fair to grade based on high bar that Bungie themselves set for the game, and many reviewers felt that Bungie really failed to deliver on the expectations they had set for Destiny. Even worse, many felt that the things it tried to do, it did worse than its contemporaries in the same field, hence the average scores.


That's a terrible thing to say... I played Bastion and loved the game... it got good scores... based on music? originality and fun... I liked the game...

However when reviewers reviewed the game, they reviewed it as an indie studio developing a game. If they had made Destity, critics scores would have been through the roof. The same thing would probably happen with another less reputable company.... is a game better or worse based on who makes it rather than the game value? If a game has a budget of $20m and another has a budget of $100m, does the game automatically becomes worse and less fun to play?

I don't think a review should take in consideration such things... we aren't doing a financial management analysis. We just need a game review on a game for what it is.



I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Around the Network
Shoestar said:
bigtakilla said:
Your personal enjoyment is great, and at the end of the day that's all a game has to deliver to you. But while it does a lot of things well, it fails to do anything on a greater scale than what can be provided elsewhere in the eyes of reviewers. That's where the 5s and 7s come in.

It's the jack of all trades but the master of none.

I saw the Jack of all trades/master of none comment in the polygon review and it's quite silly from them to be honest. You can only say that if there is another game that attempts to blend the genre of gamming(trades) like Destiny did and then did better in some extent than Destiny to provide a better experience(master).

As I see it, there exists no such game like Destiny. There is no game that provides a similar holistic experience. What Destiny tried to do, they were first to (I had a friend who told me MAG tried a bit but it was just masses playing online), so you can say they didn't master their subject. Destiny isn't trying to be like borderlands or world of warcraft... it is trying to be something different and provides a differnet experience than both.

A reviewer like Polygon (and the 5-6 others who gave it 60% or less - Okay, only level.nu gave it less but you get my point) are just doing the same thing... comparing the game with what they want it to be... The game delivers on its promise (it's a fun and addictive game that's logging in record number of hours on current gen). It isn't just me... when playing online... I've rarely found people as involved and engaged in playing... it's nice and enjoyable. :)

What you discribe is the very definition of being a jack of all trades. It borrows from different series and combines, but does not innovate or greatly surpass.



Sry review doesn't count since you've only played 6 hrs. Wait till your at 20 and have played the same strike for the 20th time.



Here's a solution to your problem, which is one I've been trying to do for a long time now.

Ignore the score, focus on the review. If it's scored a '6', but the review makes it sound like a '10', then it is far closer to a '10' than a '6'.

At the end of the day, those are just numbers arbitrarily tacked on by the reviewer based on how well it performed against his standards.



 
I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Lafiel said:
if a reviewer made a review after just 6-7h of playing he would be flamed to all hell (by op aswell I guess)


Of course they are and they rightfully should... Even Bungie said that you need to play 20hrs to fully be able to grasp the game.... but you do realise you can be on venus within 7 hrs playing. And while you cannot know about how the story will end, you can already test out the crucible and you've played enough to be find it strange how a game so fun got only 5/10 from a reviewer.

Seriously... I am at pains to understand how badly this game can go from now on to warrant a 5/10



I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Around the Network

"Master of none...?" The FPS is top notch. What's everyone talking about? The PVP is classic Bungie. The mmo/rpg is just a bonus. And a very welcomed one in an over saturated, generic FPS market.

The hate is coming from the saltiness of it not being exclusive as well as overly hyped children. Bungie promised things which they delivered. There is a difference between hype and advertizing.

If the game was not hyped as much (by fanboys) as it has been and made by a different company it would be getting 11/10s right now. Sure the story is not a masterpiece, but comparing it to Halo right now (4 games + books and movies and all that crap) is just stupid.



antfromtashkent said:
If the game was not hyped as much (by fanboys) as it has been and made by a different company it would be getting 11/10s right now. Sure the story is not a masterpiece, but comparing it to Halo right now (4 games + books and movies and all that crap) is just stupid.

That's what Bungie invited on themselves. You are going to be judge by your best work. It's like people being upset with SeaQuest. It was made by Steven Speilburg. But the writers/Network fucked the series up.



if it doesn't go your way... it is flawed... someone will be a future CEO



 

archer9234 said:
antfromtashkent said:
If the game was not hyped as much (by fanboys) as it has been and made by a different company it would be getting 11/10s right now. Sure the story is not a masterpiece, but comparing it to Halo right now (4 games + books and movies and all that crap) is just stupid.

That's what Bungie invited on themselves. You are going to be judge by your best work. It's like people being upset with SeaQuest. It was made by Steven Speilburg. But the writers/Network fucked the series up.

 

I didn't play a lot of Halo, so I can't be considered an expert on this but when I look at Destiny, it is a VERY different game. Sure you have some similarities as in every game, you point a gun and shoot at aliens... you jump(or teleport in one and jet in the other) but the mechanics are different... the style is different and the art is different. A lot of people say that it's like Halo 3 but it's still different.

It's not a question of not going my way because I'm a fanboy or fan of Bungie. I was actually not hyped at all for this game and it was only because a lot of my friends were playing it that I kind'a 'had' to check it out... If I had read the reviews beforehand... I would have thought that was a horrible game not worth touching... the way some reviewers were describing it, it was an absolute failure on every level which is the opposite of what most people who 'are' playing the game have told me and I've found out by myself.

Moreover, I think I am amongst the few who didn't play the alpha or beta which I've just realised gave people the ability to get to level 8 and see out most of the moon... I don't understand the hype or overhype for this game because it's one of those rare games which pretty much divulged the whole thing for free (if you cancel your pre-order) prior to buying the game. I suppose it was a good thing from Bungie to do as it made a lot of the reviews irrelevant since many people(except a some like me) already knew first hand about the game... else, I doubt it would have sold millions.



I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Shoestar said:
archer9234 said:
antfromtashkent said:
If the game was not hyped as much (by fanboys) as it has been and made by a different company it would be getting 11/10s right now. Sure the story is not a masterpiece, but comparing it to Halo right now (4 games + books and movies and all that crap) is just stupid.

That's what Bungie invited on themselves. You are going to be judge by your best work. It's like people being upset with SeaQuest. It was made by Steven Speilburg. But the writers/Network fucked the series up.

 

I didn't play a lot of Halo, so I can't be considered an expert on this but when I look at Destiny, it is a VERY different game. Sure you have some similarities as in every game, you point a gun and shoot at aliens... you jump(or teleport in one and jet in the other) but the mechanics are different... the style is different and the art is different. A lot of people say that it's like Halo 3 but it's still different.

It's not a question of not going my way because I'm a fanboy or fan of Bungie. I was actually not hyped at all for this game and it was only because a lot of my friends were playing it that I kind'a 'had' to check it out... If I had read the reviews beforehand... I would have thought that was a horrible game not worth touching... the way some reviewers were describing it, it was an absolute failure on every level which is the opposite of what most people who 'are' playing the game have told me and I've found out by myself.

Moreover, I think I am amongst the few who didn't play the alpha or beta which I've just realised gave people the ability to get to level 8 and see out most of the moon... I don't understand the hype or overhype for this game because it's one of those rare games which pretty much divulged the whole thing for free (if you cancel your pre-order) prior to buying the game. I suppose it was a good thing from Bungie to do as it made a lot of the reviews irrelevant since many people(except a some like me) already knew first hand about the game... else, I doubt it would have sold millions.

I have a feeling a lot of those people hyped to endless levels simply ignored most, if not all reviews anyway. I've done that in the past. Were I saw a game, saw the trailer. Went OMFG, pre-ordered it and just kept watching trailers. Then I didn't really like it. Even with the Beta. If you're that pumped for something. You usually will just go OMG threw it. That could be why a lot of people feel burned. When they reached the end, it hit them like a wall. I put it more simliar to Christmas presents. You are waiting so hard for the day. You open the box. And didn't get what you wanted.