Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I feel like Nintendo is in big trouble at this point. Here's why:

Now I know doom threads have been done to death latily, but I really don't see that many people bringing this up:  Nintendo is about to face a massively uphill battle in the next 10 years due to a complete failure to lay any groundwork for the future:

Terrible Online:The evidence is everywhere!  I have seen about a dozen polls on VGchartz asking Sony/MS fans if they would buy a Wii U if it had no tablet and similar hardware.  The answer is always  arounf 80% no because simply put it isn't just the graphics.  Nintendo's network is 2 generations behind.  I don't think I have ever seen a game with more than 12 players on a Nintendo console and the PS2 even had 32 player games. Heck the PSP did!

 

Very Few Games to Play:In addition to this, they have completily alienated 3rd parties.  Generally speaking, Playstation has been the home of Ubisoft games and COD was better on Xbox.  However it is nearly fact at this point that 3rd party games are lazy ports on the Wii/Wii U, and Nintendo fans are lucky at this point if they even get any good third party games.  It can not be understated how terrible for nintendo it is that these games series are never coming to a Nintendo console: GTA, Bioshock, Battlefield, Far Cry, Dark Souls, MGS, Tomb Raider, Borderlands, Metro, Crysis and the list goes on and on.  

 

But if you own a Playstation or Xbox, you can sleep easily knowing that you will be able to play the next big game.  A couple Nintendo games released every year that we've seen a dozen times before does not make up for this.  (Whether you believe the games justify being called "Rehashes" or not is up to you).  But the very real and prevalent perception is there.

 

It's Already Too Late:  So how about Nintndo just fixes these things?  Well problem is that these things take time.  Time Nintendo doesn't have.  

-Microsoft's Asure and Sony's Gaikai cloud tech can not be set up overnight.  

-Third party relations have been spited too many times in a row by Nintendo for them to think second about going back; especially when Steam/MS/Sony are sitting right there with massive install bases.

-Already people think twice about switching brands in order to keep their Trophies/Achievements, DLC, and gaming group of friends.  Many people have grown up at this point with out ever using a Nintendo console more than their PC/PS2/360 etc.  The people raised on the NES no longer makes up the core market.  Nintendo has spent all of their loyalty points.

 

Or is it?!:  Could Nintendo come back?  Absolutily, I never say never!  But I feel the great majority of people are underscoring just how hard a comeback would be for Ninty.  In order to have the market presence they had in the good ol days of the NES (The Wii was clearly an outlier), they need to make a comeback greater than the PS3->PS4.  No wrong moves, all right ones.  

Please do not bring up the PS3 btw.  Sony was coming off of the BIGGEST market share domination of all time, and they still didn't come in first.  Meanwhile the Wii U is tracking below the Dreamcast.

 

Their only option: At this point I think they really only can follow this path if they want to succeed:

-Hold on for dear life in the short term, and prepare for the future.  Right now they have a good 2 years before they need to launch a new main console.  In that time it is imperitive that they form a network that beats PSN.  Prepare their next console.

-Launch a new conservative console in 2016.  It needs to be priced reasonably while also beating the PS4 in performance by at least a factor of 3  (In order to not be completily obsolete the following generation that will shortly follow), selling at a minor-medium loss should be acceptable.  The Network must be competitive with PSN while also being free.  They use the next 4 years to slowly claw back third party support and fans.  New mature IP's are a must!

-After getting an install base of 40-60m, they pull out their big guns.  In 2020 they launch a brand new console with the best online (Paid) and massive 3rd party support.  It would have the best party/family friendly games while also offering all of the hardcore gaming Nintendo's lost fans came to expect.  With it they could really have a chance of outselling the Wii.

 

P.S.  If you made it this far: Good job and thank you!  Please keep in mind that I am not saying Nintendo's current offerings aren't good enough for YOU, I am saying they aren't good enough for most people to make the Wii U their main console.



Current PC Build:

i7-4770K @ 4.625 GHz, Sapphire 7970 at 1215/1830, 4GBx2 2133MHz RAM, 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Blue Ray Drive, and an awesome little case.  

Around the Network


But seriously, this has all been said before...

You ask them to "prepare for the future" and then immediately tell them to release another middling console that will be way behind next gen? Why?

Also, you don't see online games with over 12 players because 3rd parties don't release online games on Nintendo consoles very often, and when they do, it is with minimum effort. The online on the Wii U is actually quite good, its just the online games aren't really there.

But really, this has been discussed so many times, that saying anything more would just be me saying what I've said so many times before...

Captain_Tom said:

It's Already Too Late:  So how about Nintndo just fixes these things? 


Who is Nintndo? Why should they fix Nintendo's problems?



-Launch a new conservative console in 2016.

Too early. Even if the hardware is better than the current gen hardware Nintendo is still likely to fall behind because they're trying to keep the price low.

  

Nintendo has already hinted its strategy for the upcoming years:
They wont release a new console while wi U owners dont be satisfied with the console. That means, no new console for while.
They foresaw profit even with very few units of wii U sold. So it is not a problem anymore to sell few wii Us.
Also, they said it wont peak in 2014, so it will sell more in 2015 than 2014. So we can thing they are prepearing something that sells more wii Us than MK8 for 2015.

Also, for profiting, they will bet in:
2014-2015, figurines
2015-2016 QoL.
with large profits in 2017.


Around the Network
sundin13 said:


But seriously, this has all been said before...

You ask them to "prepare for the future" and then immediately tell them to release another middling console that will be way behind next gen? Why?

Also, you don't see online games with over 12 players because 3rd parties don't release online games on Nintendo consoles very often, and when they do, it is with minimum effort. The online on the Wii U is actually quite good, its just the online games aren't really there.

But really, this has been discussed so many times, that saying anything more would just be me saying what I've said so many times before...

Well I can see you actually read it, thank you.  I didn't say to release another middling console.  I said to finally release a standard console done right.  The N64 had massive storage bottlenecks that chased away several franchises, and the Gamecube did the same thing while also looking like a kids toy.  They need to do this since they cannot afford the gamble of another shot in the dark like the Wii/ Wii U.  A well thought out above-average console is something Nintendo hasn't done sice the NES.  Forget gimmicks, make something that works!



Current PC Build:

i7-4770K @ 4.625 GHz, Sapphire 7970 at 1215/1830, 4GBx2 2133MHz RAM, 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Blue Ray Drive, and an awesome little case.  

Squeezol said:
-Launch a new conservative console in 2016.

Too early. Even if the hardware is better than the current gen hardware Nintendo is still likely to fall behind because they're trying to keep the price low.


That's what I am saying.  They need to grow up and realize that sometimes it takes money - to make money.  No PS3 losses, just a respectable $100 loss on a $400-$500 console.



Current PC Build:

i7-4770K @ 4.625 GHz, Sapphire 7970 at 1215/1830, 4GBx2 2133MHz RAM, 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Blue Ray Drive, and an awesome little case.  

This is a joke thread. I don't care if you think otherwise.

jonathanalis said:
Nintendo has already hinted its strategy for the upcoming years:
They wont release a new console while wi U owners dont be satisfied with the console. That means, no new console for while.
They foresaw profit even with very few units of wii U sold. So it is not a problem anymore to sell few wii Us.
Also, they said it wont peak in 2014, so it will sell more in 2015 than 2014. So we can thing they are prepearing something that sells more wii Us than MK8 for 2015.

Also, for profiting, they will bet in:
2014-2015, figurines
2015-2016 QoL.
with large profits in 2017.


I said it before and I'll say it again. What is Nintendo's definition of satisfying the Wii U users? What is the definition of being satisfied by the Wii U users? Nintendo can finish up their game catalog by end of next year, release smaller titles through 2016 and launch a new console in Fall and think that satisfies their users. While you, might want them to support the system through 2017.



Around the Network
I thought it was a good OP and I agree with many of your points.

Hindsight is always easy, but a Wii HD when (shock horror) Pachter predicted it would've been great. The tablet is, in my opinion, a device that breaks the console. Adding little (or nothing) to games, increasing the price while decreasing the specs, and no one is raving about it.

Honestly I have no idea what Nintendo will do. I hope they manage to claw back some marketshare one day.