56 reviews saying the game is great, most also stating it looks great. One of the highest rated games this year.
1 review stating the game has no AA (most of us knew it was 720p) and people start losing their minds, with the predictable bevvy of naysayers saying I told you the WiiU sucks etc. etc.
People need to make their own judgement, in person, about how the game looks if this kind of thing really matters to them. I sincerely hope that most of the people in this thread 'genuinely complaining' are trolls, because if this kind of thing affects truly affects your decision to purchase a game like this, then I am sorry for you.
You have to allow for the bias because it's a Mario game. Reviewers aren't expecting cutting edge graphics in a MK game.
* "The new art direction and stunning visuals really go a long way to showing off every nuance of every level, and I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best-looking games out there right now on any system."
* "Its also worth remembering that Mario Kart 8 is the series first outing in the wonderful world of HD, so you're probably left wondering exactly what the game looks like on a glorious HD screen. Truth be told, it looks absolutely fabulous, blowing any of its predecessors out of the water. So much so that other Mario Kart games just feel shallow in comparison to this one. HD provides clarity during races and new effects out on the track, water looks lovely. In short, Mario Kart 8 is a treat on the eyes."
* "But it’s the visuals that mark the biggest jump in the series; because they look incredible."
* "Mario Kart 8's graphics are some of the best I've seen in a game made by Nintendo."
* "Mario Kart 8 also marks the series first foray into the HD era and it does a masterful job. It’s one of the, if not the best looking games on the Wii U to date. The new tracks are just awe inspiring and will make you want to go back and watch the highlights. Nintendo has always been a master of color and the purity of the color within Mario Kart 8 is something to marvel at. I’d put Mario Kart 8 up against almost any game on the market today, it’s that gorgeous."
* "It may not be the photorealism that seems to be the pursuit of other major developers, but Mario Kart 8 is the most gorgeous looking video game... EVER!"
* "Outside of the shiny HD graphics, the big new addition for Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart TV. Technically, it is very impressive."
* "The graphics throughout all 32 tracks are stunning and not just in a ‘not bad for the Wii U’ kind of a way. Nintendo’s peerless art design and superb lighting effects makes the game as visually striking as any other this generation."
* "Mario Kart 8 is easily the best looking WiiU game to date, and it also does a great job of being a showcase piece for the console. This game looks so good at times it's amazing to see what a first party development team is capable of considering all the derision directed toward the power of Nintendo's console. The courses, character models, and even the periphery are incredibly detailed, all while pushing some impressive visual effects on the side, like when coming out of water, or the fireworks present on the Rainbow Road N64 track."