Quantcast
Is remastering a 1 year old overkill??

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is remastering a 1 year old overkill??

I know apparently Last of Us was a great game, but it just came out less than a year ago and it's already getting a remaster.   Is it really that important to play a game again and spend another $65+ dollars already just for enhanced graphics?



Around the Network

It worked for Tomb Raider. And honestly, it's no different than having a last gen port coinciding with a current gen version of a game (e.g. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, etc.)



I am the Playstation Avenger.

   

Viltgance said:

I know apparently Last of Us was a great game, but it just came out less than a year ago and it's already getting a remaster.   Is it really that important to play a game again and spend another $65+ dollars already just for enhanced graphics?

Not really a remaster just an port of a popular game, can easily be upgraded to HD since it was developed on PS3 I also expect the loading to be much quicker.



In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

It's supposed to have the DLC bundled in with some fancier graphics. It may exist to justify the PS3 version still selling at full retail.

Coming up, I think the PS4 will have enough other titles coming up for it that the game will get lost in the shuffle and not sell more than 2 million tops lifetime.

I think the title will find greater success as a PSNow title.



I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

To be honest I just see this as a GOTY edition...Except it's for a completely different console.

Most GOTY editions just offer up all the DLC and charge 60$. With this you're getting the DLC and improved graphical fidelity (Possibly Framerate as well).

You're not forced to purchase it, so I don't see a problem with it.



Around the Network
fleischr said:
It's supposed to have the DLC bundled in with some fancier graphics. It may exist to justify the PS3 version still selling at full retail.

Coming up, I think the PS4 will have enough other titles coming up for it that the game will get lost in the shuffle and not sell more than 2 million tops lifetime.

I think the title will find greater success as a PSNow title.

Selling two million for just porting a game they'd otherwise make little money on.  Why wouldn't they spend the money to do so. 

The port more than likely won't cost them more than a few million and even if they get one million in sales at MSRP, they're making around $40 million in profit.



Its nice for people who own a PS4 but didnt have a PS3, for example people who upgraded from 360 to PS4.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Viltgance said:

I know apparently Last of Us was a great game, but it just came out less than a year ago and it's already getting a remaster.   Is it really that important to play a game again and spend another $65+ dollars already just for enhanced graphics?

Not really a remaster just an port of a popular game, can easily be upgraded to HD since it was developed on PS3 I also expect the loading to be much quicker.

Loading? The Last of Us, like all the Uncharted games, doesn't have load times does it?



I am the Playstation Avenger.

   

So firstly this can be looked at as a GOTY Edition.
Secondly this is great for those who never owned a PS3 or those who didnt buy it for PS3.
Thirdly why the fuck not?? We port games to different consoles all the time and they dont always launch at the same time.



adriane23 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Viltgance said:

I know apparently Last of Us was a great game, but it just came out less than a year ago and it's already getting a remaster.   Is it really that important to play a game again and spend another $65+ dollars already just for enhanced graphics?

Not really a remaster just an port of a popular game, can easily be upgraded to HD since it was developed on PS3 I also expect the loading to be much quicker.

Loading? The Last of Us, like all the Uncharted games, doesn't have load times does it?

Maybe a couple sections here and there, but TBH I've played the game three times and I don't even think I've ever noticed a loading screen. They're usually only for when starting a cutscene or ending one, and they take maybe 5 seconds at most to load up.