Quantcast
Kojima wants Snake in the new Smash Bros., but itís not likely to happen

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kojima wants Snake in the new Smash Bros., but itís not likely to happen

seiya19 said:
oniyide said:

Oh i think its quite easy to determine how much MP gamers are out there. Well...depending on the gen. THe thing about Ninty systems and im just going to say it they miss a LOT of 3rd party games period. its been that way since N64 and its that way with Wii U and I dont see that changing. Now with that being said their is a conditioning where you HAVE to get another console or you miss out.

You know, whenever the discussion of Nintendo and 3rd parties comes up, a vital element of it gets usually (and conveniently in some cases...) ignored... Handhelds. For a lot of Nintendo fans, handhelds are part of their steady gaming diet, with not only plenty of support from Nintendo themselves, but also a ton of 3rd party support. And for anyone that plays Japanese games, a Nintendo handheld becomes just as much of a must have as a non-Nintendo console, specially DS and 3DS. Do Nintendo fans in general need more than this ? I don't think so... And if you do, there's also PC to consider here, or those who just play other consoles through friends and such.

Basically, I'm skeptical of Nintendo fans being more prone to get another home console than other gamers, and I believe it's more of an individual choice than anything, with factors such as gaming budget, personal taste, and time to play games being crucial here. Hardware sales can indeed add to your point when they favor other platforms, but then again, the same could be said of Wii, DS and 3DS, yet people usually talk about there being different demographics when it comes to those... So, which one is it ? Different demographics or multiplatform gamers ? The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, and without actual data, we can only speculate.

I'm also of the opinion that the issue gets a bit overblown in general... I mean, sure, too many 3rd party "AAA" games skip Nintendo consoles, but it's not like there's nothing to play... You still always get a good share of exclusives and ports, like Sonic, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Tatsunoko VS Capcom, No More Heroes, Lego games, Just Dance, ZombieU, Watch_Dogs, Project Cars, Harvest Moon, etc... So, it depends of what kind of gamer you are.

oniyide said:

Think it comes back to Ninty vs. video games. Is Smash supposed to be a celebration of Ninty history? Or game history in general? Becasue IMHO it doesnt matter if Alucard, Simon, Soma or whoever shows up. Its stopped being strictly about Ninty the moment they announced Solid Snake in the game. But maybe they are trying to close pandora's box. Hell as soon as they said they would have 3rd party characters it stopped being about just Ninty.

Well, as much as I think Snake was not the best choice for Smash, he still arguably had some relevant history on Nintendo platforms, so he's far from being the worst choice. It would've been far worse if someone like Cloud got in for example, without ever being before on Nintendo. So, as I said before, I think the requirement should basically be to have a significant history on Nintendo platforms and be a good fit for Smash. You can be a bit more selective in the future and be certain that whatever character you choose has a good reason to be there, with a strong bond to Nintendo in one way or another. I would definitely disagree with using Snake's case as an excuse to fully open that pandora's box and just let any popular character in... But of course, it's not up to me anyway...

In any case, Smash will always be about Nintendo first and foremost, and Sakurai makes this quite clear when he says that the likes of Mega Man are special cases, limited from the start. Whoever gets in in the future, it will not change that.

Supepupes said:
The other possible Konami reps (Simon and Bomberman) are also worthy characters in their own right, but what chances do they have against a veteran?

I'm not sure what you mean by "veteran" here... If you're refering to his long history, let me remind you that Simon and Bomberman have existed since 1986 and 1983 (1985 on Famicom) respectively, being among the first 3rd party characters on Nintendo platforms. And Bomberman in particular has appeared on pretty much every Nintendo platform since then...

ive own every handheld Ninty made. IMHO 3rd party is nto that relevant. Firstly cause western devs never really messed with it and def arent not. and how well do those games do? Especially in comparison to Ninty's own titles? Are you really going to tell me that the handhelds make up for the lack of 3rd party on consoles? Come on, they are not even the same games. Where are the AC, COD, MG, etc. ANd when I say where are they im not talking some 2d spinoff. or old port. Even with PC you still miss stuff. I find it hard to believe that all those franchises that skip the system most Ninty fans dont want to play them. I think sales says otherwise.

The truth is somewhere in the middle thats true. I bring up demographs for WIi because that was a blue ocean machine, there were not blue ocean machines prior to Wii. Look at the best selling software versus the HD ones, VERY different. The portables that has always been Ninty's field they never had any real competition until PSP and even then.



Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Carl2291 said:
RolStoppable said:

Super Smash Bros. is an IP that is about iconic video game characters and series. It's about legends and legacy. Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid don't fit this theme, so they should have never been included in Brawl. 

For this, I hope they actually come to an agreement for MGS2 Raiden.

SSB's female cast is big enough as it is.

I see what you did there.

But what version of Raiden do we get?



NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

 My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Kojima needs to understand if you support Nintendo, Nintendo will support you. Like they did with Brawl because of twin Snakes. Sorry Kojima I hope Nintendo don't put your character in there game. Free advertising of your character should be done by yourself, like making a game for that hardware in the first place..



Lets be honest, Snake isn't returning.



NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

oniyide said:

ive own every handheld Ninty made. IMHO 3rd party is nto that relevant. Firstly cause western devs never really messed with it and def arent not. and how well do those games do? Especially in comparison to Ninty's own titles? Are you really going to tell me that the handhelds make up for the lack of 3rd party on consoles? Come on, they are not even the same games. Where are the AC, COD, MG, etc. ANd when I say where are they im not talking some 2d spinoff. or old port. Even with PC you still miss stuff. I find it hard to believe that all those franchises that skip the system most Ninty fans dont want to play them. I think sales says otherwise.

The truth is somewhere in the middle thats true. I bring up demographs for WIi because that was a blue ocean machine, there were not blue ocean machines prior to Wii. Look at the best selling software versus the HD ones, VERY different. The portables that has always been Ninty's field they never had any real competition until PSP and even then.

Yes, they don't offer the same type of games, that's the beauty of it. As I stated before, it depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you prefer to play platformers, JRPGs (including SRPGs), puzzle games and other niche Japanese games, DS and 3DS are a must have. Not every gamer is in love with sims, FPSs, open world games and WRPGs. I'm definitely not. And it's obviously not a Nintendo fan thing, just a matter of personal taste. I actually got a PS2 for games outside those. Japanese games. Games that are currently largely on handhelds (ignoring smartphones here...), and now more than ever coming to PC (SF IV, Revengeance, KoF XIII, Naruto UNS3, Killer is Dead, Deadly Premonition, Binary Domain, Resident Evil, etc), with even talks of MGS V and FF XV releases. My point here was not to say that these games compensate the lack of 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles directly, but indirectly. That a Nintendo fan can still have a lot to play without getting a Sony/Microsoft platform. That different gamers have different needs, and most people don't need to play everything out there.

The success of Japanese 3rd parties on Nintendo handhelds is undeniable, and whether they get to the level of Nintendo games or not is irrelevant. They wouldn't be there if it wasn't worth it. Would you really argue that the likes of Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Shin Megami Tensei, Bravely Default, Harvest Moon, etc are of little relevance ? On what grounds ? I mean, it's fine if you don't personally care about them, but a few of these are million-selling franchises, while others are beloved niche titles. Just because they don't sell as much as Assasin's Creed or Call of Duty doesn't mean they don't matter. They are part of the reason many gamers pick a 3DS, being part of its exclusive lineup, unlike the series you mentioned.

Anyway... We're getting off-topic now, and this is a long discussion... I'll read anything you want to add, but I won't post again. Good talk though. ^_^



Around the Network
theARTIST0017 said:
Lets be honest, Snake isn't returning.


And good riddance.



Ah, Kojima and his penis. He wants it in everything.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Azzanation said:
Kojima needs to understand if you support Nintendo, Nintendo will support you. Like they did with Brawl because of twin Snakes. Sorry Kojima I hope Nintendo don't put your character in there game. Free advertising of your character should be done by yourself, like making a game for that hardware in the first place..

did MGS3d not release on 3ds?



oniyide said:
Azzanation said:
Kojima needs to understand if you support Nintendo, Nintendo will support you. Like they did with Brawl because of twin Snakes. Sorry Kojima I hope Nintendo don't put your character in there game. Free advertising of your character should be done by yourself, like making a game for that hardware in the first place..

did MGS3d not release on 3ds?


Nintendo fans are not stupid. They know when they're getting the main dish and they know when they're getting the leftovers. Make a poll thread and see how many people want Snake in smash.



NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

DevilRising said:
theARTIST0017 said:
Lets be honest, Snake isn't returning.


And good riddance.


Well, tbh I don't care if he's in it or not. But the way Kojima was commenting on it makes us to believe he hasn't even tried to talk to Sakurai. Not any of our problems. If Sakurai doesn't include him, then I understand why.



NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .