Quantcast
Best way to learn to read Japanese?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best way to learn to read Japanese?

I wish i have the power of the Echo.



Around the Network
d21lewis said:
The absolute BEST way is to be born in Japan. Aside from that, it would probably be wise to never listen to anything I say on any subject, ever.

lol you nailed it xD



 

mai said:

Try finding TUFS (Tokyo University of Foreign Studies) workbooks for beginners on the net if you're planning more regular approach of studying it. I have good memories of them, but it was years ago (the ones I have are ancient -- and all in Japanese lol -- published in the 1990s, there must be smth newer). Since then I wasn't practicing much of Japanese -- switched to Chinse --  so can't advise any better.

//Learning alphabet is like an hour, the rest is practice. Kanji might be a bit more complicated task -- there're plenty of separate kanji courses (how to write, memorize and search them), for basics even Chinese ones will do.


Do you know what the Japanese games are in? That is what I would need to learn, or are you saying you learn something else first and the characters the games are in later.

 

I want to be able to read and comprehend this

http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Nobunaga-4.jpg

 

and this

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/qGzFvBjjTg4/maxresdefault.jpg (just wondering why is there so much English on there too?)

 

http://senpaigamer.com/sites/default/files/news/sony/2012/09/14-sangokushi-12-1.jpg

 

etc.



rolltide101x said:
IsawYoshi said:
I'm interested in learning Japanese as well. Could be practical to know for stuff other than gaming as well.


I thought so too, but upon thinking about it I could not think of any thing I could use it for other than gaming. But gaming is a good enough reason for me.

I'm going to study to be an engineer, so the more languages the better (as Norwegian engineers often work with foreigners, also some Japanese). Sure, could just use English, but Japanese would be 10 times more impressive. :D In reality though, I just want it for gaming, and will probably only use it for gaming. XD 



Get a Japanese girlfriend to translate for you.



Around the Network
rolltide101x said:
d21lewis said:
The absolute BEST way is to be born in Japan. Aside from that, it would probably be wise to never listen to anything I say on any subject, ever.


Well I can not do that now can I? =D    If that was the case I would probably be on an Japanese forum right now saying I want to learn English so I can play games not in Japanese LOL

....an alternate universe where Japanese rolltide101x wants to learn English and possibly an alternate Japanes d21lewis? Hmm.  I must say, the idea intrigues me.

 

Let me say this, though. Sorry I can't offer any help (and I mean ANY help) on the matter but I do respect you.  Learning a foreign language is no easy task and along with Chinese, I think Japanese, is one of the absolute hardest to learn.  I wish you luck!



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Mr Khan said:
rolltide101x said:
Lafiel said:
well, the very first step should be to learn Hiragana and Katakana, those are syllabary the japanese use (Katakana only for english words, to be "cool" or for phonetics)

these always have the same reading (which is not the case for the Kanji, the complex chinese letters the japanese use aswell) and no additional meaning

learning these should only take you about a day


By default Rosetta Stone has Kanji/Furigana as how it reads I should change that to Hirigana and Katakana?

Furigana is hiragana (or rather, the characters of Furigana are rendered in hiragana). Katakana words will never be rendered in kanji in any case.

Honestly reading is the hardest part in Japanese, though more all-ages games like Pokemon will be easier, more adult-focused like, say, Catherine is going to presume adult-level literacy (games in-between, like, say, Final Fantasy, will be more middling in terms of vocabulary).

Really, i should say "reading aloud" is the hardest part in Japanese. There are a LOT of Kanji that i recognize, and so can patch together the meaning of a word, but would have no idea how to pronounce.

For reading, though, i'd buy myself a textbook and keep with that. Watch a lot of subtitled anime, too, as that gets you word recognition off the words that you're seeing (and some others).


That is a brillant idea you had there that will probably help me in the future with this. (Playing children's games, should be tons of children's DS games huh? Are DSs region free? If not I wonder if there are a decent amount of children's games for PC (in Japanese). But I obviously am not to the point of reading anything yet. Thanks for the future idea though



I'm took Japanese for three years at University level.
The most important thing is learning the hiragana katakana.
Then, get a book on kanji. Kanji is based in grade levels, and books will have them listed by grade, so you can read first grade, then second grade, etc.

But don't get the wrong idea. The grammar is completely different from English. It's a difficult language. You can't just read it and understand, as meanings vary wildly just from one particle being changed to another.
For example:
1Nani ka nomimasuka: Are you/will you drink something?
2Nani o nomimasuka: What are you drinking?
3Nani ka nomimasenka: Won't you have a drink something (implied: With me?)?

Literal:
Nani: what
ka: choice/some kind of - when paired with nani can read as something
o: direct object
Nomimasu: drink
ending ka: question mark
masen: negative form

So the first is:
1 something will drink/drinking?
2 what drinking?
3 something not drinking?



IsawYoshi said:
rolltide101x said:
IsawYoshi said:
I'm interested in learning Japanese as well. Could be practical to know for stuff other than gaming as well.


I thought so too, but upon thinking about it I could not think of any thing I could use it for other than gaming. But gaming is a good enough reason for me.

I'm going to study to be an engineer, so the more languages the better (as Norwegian engineers often work with foreigners, also some Japanese). Sure, could just use English, but Japanese would be 10 times more impressive. :D In reality though, I just want it for gaming, and will probably only use it for gaming. XD 


lol I am about to be a certified Network Engineer so I can not think of anything it would help me for in my career. But it would be awesome to be able to say I can read Japanese



Mr Khan said:

Furigana is hiragana (or rather, the characters of Furigana are rendered in hiragana). Katakana words will never be rendered in kanji in any case.

Honestly reading is the hardest part in Japanese, though more all-ages games like Pokemon will be easier, more adult-focused like, say, Catherine is going to presume adult-level literacy (games in-between, like, say, Final Fantasy, will be more middling in terms of vocabulary).

Really, i should say "reading aloud" is the hardest part in Japanese. There are a LOT of Kanji that i recognize, and so can patch together the meaning of a word, but would have no idea how to pronounce.

For reading, though, i'd buy myself a textbook and keep with that. Watch a lot of subtitled anime, too, as that gets you word recognition off the words that you're seeing (and some others).

yea, once you know the meaning of the Kanji you can often get by without knowing the real reading of the word, but some words have a totally different meaning than the Kanji it's composed of ;)

I think the hardest part is reading names. It's simply impossible to know all these readings they can use for a Kanji if it's used in a name.