Quantcast
%99 of music is crap today.

Forums - Music Discussion - %99 of music is crap today.

This sounds like either ignorance or nostalgia.

Your pick.



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
This sounds like either ignorance or nostalgia.

Your pick.

In 15 years, you'll probably be saying the same thing as him. Just as OldSchoolFool probably had your exact mindset when he heard people in their 30s talk about music he liked.



I am the Playstation Avenger.

   

Very subjective but, just like videogames, there is more shit out now than good stuff, you just have to find the ones you like.



"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

 

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

adriane23 said:

In 15 years, you'll probably be saying the same thing as him. Just as OldSchoolFool probably had your exact mindset when he heard people in their 30s talk about music he liked.

You're just proving my point. It's nostalgia. And sometimes a refusal to accept change.



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

NintendoPie said:
adriane23 said:

In 15 years, you'll probably be saying the same thing as him. Just as OldSchoolFool probably had your exact mindset when he heard people in their 30s talk about music he liked.

You're just proving my point. It's nostalgia. And sometimes a refusal to accept change.

Yes, I am.



I am the Playstation Avenger.

   

Around the Network

Great music released in 2013 (that I listen to and that is critically acclaimed)

David Bowie - The Next Day
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon
Arctic Monkeys - AM
CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady
James Blake - Overgrown
Laura Marling - Once I was an Eagle






Take a look at my photos on flickr

kowenicki said:
no it isn't... it just takes a bit more effort to find decent music.

If you are going off the most popular music and charts then of course you will think its shit.



Hate comments like this. I've tried high and low, fucking everywhere and can not get into anything made in the last 3 - 5 years. 

Everything I hear a song I have never heard before, and end up liking it, it turns out to be from the 80s, 90's or early 2000's. (rock, metal, grunge, alt rock, electronic, gangster rap, hip hop, trance, dance). 

The only two ''recent'' acts I dont mind listening to are Health and Warpaint. 



foodfather said:
kowenicki said:
no it isn't... it just takes a bit more effort to find decent music.

If you are going off the most popular music and charts then of course you will think its shit.



Hate comments like this. I've tried high and low, fucking everywhere and can not get into anything made in the last 3 - 5 years. 

Everything I hear a song I have never heard before, and end up liking it, it turns out to be from the 80s, 90's or early 2000's. (rock, metal, grunge, alt rock, electronic, gangster rap, hip hop, trance, dance). 

The only two ''recent'' acts I dont mind listening to are Health and Warpaint. 

IMO, Adele is probably the most amazing singer of these past years. I also think some French and German singers, such as Zaz, Silbermond and Juli are pretty awesome.

It is pretty hard to find things you like these days (harder than it used to be), but not impossible.



Sadly, the last two genres with any legitimacy is metal and indie. All other mainstream genres are full of fake artists who have their songs written for them and lip sync. It's all fake.

Unless you write your own music, you're a fraud.



episteme said:
chris_wing said:
episteme said:

There's stilll great stuff today, but the mainstream is much worse than decades ago.


Main stream music has sucked since the 80's, and that's ignorring the entire genre of disco from the 70's.  We've had Back Street Boys & a dozen different variations, we've had the Spice Girls & a dozen different variations, we've had Billy Ray Cyrus & a wave of "New Country" fecal matter.  Aron Carter, Brittany Spears, MC Hammer, Milli Vanilli & a bunch of cookie cutter crap just like it all the way up to American Idol.

I've done a bad job but I'm trying to illustrate how the mainstream music "industry" has been crap for 30 or 40 years.

Ok, I'm not thingking about Aaron Carter or the Spice Girls...

You can always find negative examples, but where are the positive examples of great mainstream artists today?

I think that some of the most successful artists of earlier decades are among the best artists of that time. That isn't the case anymore.

Not sure if those are the best examples, but I'm thinking about The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Queen, Van Halen, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Run-D.M.C. or even Michael Jackson until 'Bad'. These were all mainstream successes.

Some of those band still release new albums, but they're mostly crap.

Okay, yes, there may be more examples from the past that we can point to as mainstream artists who were actually good, but that's kind of the hindsight is 20/20 argument.  In thirty years there will be current mainstream artists that will be praised and held up as examples of how great music was in the 200x's / teens, but those artists will be greatly in the minority, as they always have been, to the total number of recording artist.

Since others are listing some of their favs I'll do the same

Titus Andronicus

Jack White

The New Pornographers / AC Newman

The Flaming Lips

Animal Collective (some)

Sufjan Stevens