Quantcast
Who's TV plan is the best, Sony or MS

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who's TV plan is the best, Sony or MS

Ashadian said:
toastboy44562 said:

Micro-soft


How surprising?

Sony's is better. And importantly has been revealed better and doesn't require 2 boxes!

Can you explain how Sony system is better without knowing what content and price of the service.  Also, will Sony service make people drop other subscription services like Netflix or Hulu.  Will Sony service sell consoles or make people drop their cable.  I believe without know what Sony serivice will provide its hard to say if its better.  It really could just be another streaming service like Netflix and Hulu.  Sony already sell their content to other providers and I highly doubt they will kill that revenue just to promote their own service.  In other words, what will separate Sony Service from the others that are out now.  If Sony is going to offer content the cable companies offer, how will their service separete from those cable companies offerings especially since those companies have apps as well.

Also as I stated, in this thread, you do not need a cable box to use cable services on the X1.



Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

Im not really sure I follow this one but wow those comments xD Mr Angry Pants 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on lol

Well Sony and Microsoft both seems to be adding to their libraries of channels. Maybe one day they'll both be able to rival Cable companies one day. We can only hope they dont have the same ridiculous pricing as cable companies.

Microsoft is also making their own tv shows now. Example would be Halo, Quantum Break, and Heroes. Which is def a cool idea.

Then you have sony who is making movies like Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, etc. Then again those aren't on sony consoles but branches from their movie division.

When it comes down to it I dont really compare TV companies to one another as most people dont. I just watch them and enjoy them.

Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad? Who cares if theyre made by different people if theyre both good :)

For this thread, I am actually making a comparision on stragety.  Sony is going for a content provider with their IPTV solution and MS is going for partnership with cable companies to provide their services on their console.  The 2 stragety are totally different and have pros and cons.  As a consumer of content, like most people, you want the content you like at a cheap price.



Machiavellian said:

For this thread, I am actually making a comparision on stragety.  Sony is going for a content provider with their IPTV solution and MS is going for partnership with cable companies to provide their services on their console.  The 2 stragety are totally different and have pros and cons.  As a consumer of content, like most people, you want the content you like at a cheap price.


lol Im not making fun of your thread :)  Just some of the comments in it lol  

As for which one is a better strategy I think someone earlier gave the right answer.

Sony fans will say sony and MSFT fans will say MSFT.



Actually with the apps Xbox 360 already offered MS is way a head of Sony on providing content. Many people I know of already cut cable out and use their Xbox 360 for all their entertainment. Stuff they cant get in the apps they buy yearly passes for. This is Sony playing catch-up. Just because they create a streaming TV service does not mean it will be like having cable service through the PS4. Microsoft has already announced a TV streaming service months ago that they were getting contracts together from various sources. MS also sealed a huge content deal from the NFL alone. They have the money and resources to bring a real alternative to cable. Much more so then Sony. I have both a PS4 (Playing Assassins Creed) and X1 (Playing Forza 5, Ryse, Dead Rising 3). In the end since I have both I am eager to see who eventually offers the most for the money. When that day comes I will cancel my FIOS.

John

Oh and for the people saying Xbox has nothing at all but the ability to control a cable box you are full of it and don't own an Xbox. My Xbox 360 is way a head of my PS3 in entertainment offereings. At the moment my X1 does not have much more then my PS4 but based on previous gen relationships X1 will offer at least as much content as the 360. Stop the hate! Both consoles rock!



Machiavellian said:
Ashadian said:
toastboy44562 said:

Micro-soft


How surprising?

Sony's is better. And importantly has been revealed better and doesn't require 2 boxes!

Can you explain how Sony system is better without knowing what content and price of the service.  Also, will Sony service make people drop other subscription services like Netflix or Hulu.  Will Sony service sell consoles or make people drop their cable.  I believe without know what Sony serivice will provide its hard to say if its better.  It really could just be another streaming service like Netflix and Hulu.  Sony already sell their content to other providers and I highly doubt they will kill that revenue just to promote their own service.  In other words, what will separate Sony Service from the others that are out now.  If Sony is going to offer content the cable companies offer, how will their service separete from those cable companies offerings especially since those companies have apps as well.

Also as I stated, in this thread, you do not need a cable box to use cable services on the X1.

SO no different to what we have in the 360 or PS3?



Around the Network
Ashadian said:
kitler53 said:
im sorry, can someone give me a link to this sony plan/service? this is the first i'm hearing about this.


http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/16/business/media/sony-and-viacom-reach-tentative-internet-tv-deal.html?_r=0

http://bgr.com/2014/01/07/sony-cloud-based-tv-service-launch/

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/sony-announces-cloudbased-gaming-tv-services-as-playstation-4-sales-top-42-million-20140108-30gd1.html

 

It was revealed at CES 2014

awesome, thanks!  i found a few articles on my own that that nytimes one was especially good.



I love how people saying that MS version is better aren't even talking about the big "selling point" feature of the one but instead are just talking about apps that have been around since the 360. Those apps and the new HDMI in feature actually negate each other right? One is supposed to let you replace your cable while one lets you watch it through your Xbox...

We know that Sony have a deal with Viacom already (VH1, MTV, CC, Nick, TV land, BET, CMT, Spike, etc.) and announced the other day as the CES that they have good relationships with other content providers. The also announced that testing had begun on the service and that it will launch sometime this year in the United States.

You also don't need a PS3 or PS4 to use the service as it is designed to work on any internet connected Sony device so even a Sony smart TV would work. Which is pretty amazing if you ask me. Having your cable box built into your TV without having any sort of box connected to it.



Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

ItNetPro said:

Actually with the apps Xbox 360 already offered MS is way a head of Sony on providing content. Many people I know of already cut cable out and use their Xbox 360 for all their entertainment. Stuff they cant get in the apps they buy yearly passes for. This is Sony playing catch-up. Just because they create a streaming TV service does not mean it will be like having cable service through the PS4. Microsoft has already announced a TV streaming service months ago that they were getting contracts together from various sources. MS also sealed a huge content deal from the NFL alone. They have the money and resources to bring a real alternative to cable. Much more so then Sony. I have both a PS4 (Playing Assassins Creed) and X1 (Playing Forza 5, Ryse, Dead Rising 3). In the end since I have both I am eager to see who eventually offers the most for the money. When that day comes I will cancel my FIOS.

John

Oh and for the people saying Xbox has nothing at all but the ability to control a cable box you are full of it and don't own an Xbox. My Xbox 360 is way a head of my PS3 in entertainment offereings. At the moment my X1 does not have much more then my PS4 but based on previous gen relationships X1 will offer at least as much content as the 360. Stop the hate! Both consoles rock!

No, not if it's true that Sony has a deal in place with Viacom or ends up making deals with other cable content providers.  If that really is the case, then Playstation would offer streaming content that Xbox cannot match without a cable subscription, at least until Google or someone else is able to market their own cable-over-internet service.



JayWood2010 said:
Machiavellian said:

For this thread, I am actually making a comparision on stragety.  Sony is going for a content provider with their IPTV solution and MS is going for partnership with cable companies to provide their services on their console.  The 2 stragety are totally different and have pros and cons.  As a consumer of content, like most people, you want the content you like at a cheap price.


lol Im not making fun of your thread :)  Just some of the comments in it lol  

As for which one is a better strategy I think someone earlier gave the right answer.

Sony fans will say sony and MSFT fans will say MSFT.

Very true that the fanboys will side with their console of choice but I do feel there are a few people who can take the blinders off.

Personally I am really interested in Sony service to see what they can bring to the table.  On the other hand, I see MS strategy and integration as a better solution if done right.

In the end we need more info on Sony IPTV service to make any real forward prediction.



Nintendo TVii

Im sure someone beat me to it though