Quantcast
Apple to buy Sony?

Forums - Sony Discussion - Apple to buy Sony?

I deem that in one huge move of protectionism this will be prevented by Japan itself.



Around the Network

The Japanese are waaay to stubborn to ever let something like this happen.



Stefl1504 said:
I deem that in one huge move of protectionism this will be prevented by Japan itself.
Gilgamesh said:

The Japanese are waaay to stubborn to ever let something like this happen.

These are actually the most cogent points of all, Sony is very big in Japan, and they are extremely protective of their companies.



I don't see what Apple would want with Sony.

Apple is the bigger name... and they don't really have a use for most of Sony's products... which are losing money.

It'd be interesting from a content perspective to get the movie and song rights and eventually get iTunes exclusivity i guess.

Outside that though... it'd be a huge waste.

If anything I'd think they'd just buy stake in a spun off Sony Entertainment.



Kasz216 said:
I don't see what Apple would want with Sony.

Apple is the bigger name... and they don't really have a use for most of Sony's products... which are losing money.

It'd be interesting from a content perspective to get the movie and song rights and eventually get iTunes exclusivity i guess.

Outside that though... it'd be a huge waste.

If anything I'd think they'd just buy stake in a spun off Sony Entertainment.

Patents.  Apple loves to suck up patents like it's going out of style, and Sony has an absolute truckload of them.



Around the Network
mornelithe said:
Stefl1504 said:
I deem that in one huge move of protectionism this will be prevented by Japan itself.
Gilgamesh said:

The Japanese are waaay to stubborn to ever let something like this happen.

These are actually the most cogent points of all, Sony is very big in Japan, and they are extremely protective of their companies.

Yeah... except this is Apple.  Who is actually pretty big in Japan.  If anyone coud do it... it'd be apple.

Hell, Apple is DOMINATING the japanese phone market right now.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5s-and-Apple-iPhone-5c-monopolize-Japanese-sales-charts_id49873

 

There's just almost nothing Sony could offer Apple, that Apple couldn't just as eaisly do themselves.   There's no reason for Apple to take on all of Sony's debt and unprofitable divisions.



Kasz216 said:
mornelithe said:
Stefl1504 said:
I deem that in one huge move of protectionism this will be prevented by Japan itself.
Gilgamesh said:

The Japanese are waaay to stubborn to ever let something like this happen.

These are actually the most cogent points of all, Sony is very big in Japan, and they are extremely protective of their companies.

Yeah... except this is Apple.  Who is actually pretty big in Japan.  If anyone coud do it... it'd be apple.

Hell, Apple is DOMINATING the japanese phone market right now.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5s-and-Apple-iPhone-5c-monopolize-Japanese-sales-charts_id49873

 

There's just almost nothing Sony could offer Apple, that Apple couldn't just as eaisly do themselves.   There's no reason for Apple to take on all of Sony's debt and unprofitable divisions.

If such a thing were to come to pass, I honestly don't think they would keep all of the unprofitable divisions, they'd either break them up and sell off the ones they aren't interested in, or just shut them down entirely.  Don't you think?  Sony has a major movie studio, and one of the larger music studios, and one of the larger groups of in-house developers, not to mention 2nd parties,  on top of all of the patents they hold.   Sony doesn't just make phones...afterall.  There's plenty there for Apple, who, of late have been very interested in content, could leverage into their own products/services.

And since they're so great at overcharging for....pretty much everything they sell, I'm sure they could make it profitable pretty quickly, especially if they sold off the divisions that they weren't interested in.

Still, all that aside, I don't want this to occur in any way shape or form.



Akvod said:

I don't really see the synergies.

The big black box for me is the value of Sony's media and patents.

But here's what I feel pretty confident about: Both Apple and Sony's value lies in their design. Like somebody already mentioned, Steve Jobs looked to Sony as a model for Apple back then.

So if Apple acquires Sony, what happens to all that human capital and knowhow behind Sony's design? The point is that each company needs to have a single design philosophy. It makes no sense to have two different sets of designers, especially with Jony Ive in such a commanding position at Apple.

So all that value from Sony would just be wasted. Negative synergy in my opinion.

Then the bigger issue. Sony is a giant conglomerate, and it's electronic division alone is a huge complex beast. Meanwhile, Apple is all about having a simplified portfolio.



So what the fuck are they gonna do with the huge portfolio of products Sony has? Maintain the Sony brand name and slowly have Apple relaunch each brand category one by one? And again, part of the success behind Apple is how easy it is to associate Apple with a few products.

When I say Apple, most people would think:
1) Smartphone
2) Tablet
3) MP3

Possibly (and if not, at least at the top of their mind)
4) Laptop
5) Desktop

What the fuck is Sony?
TV's?
Smartphones?
Cameras?
Stereos?
Game consoles?
Home theater?
Computers?
BluRay?

The problem with Sony is that they've failed to have their name identified with a certain product category. They're a leader in few things, and not where they want to be one in.

And you want Apple to take on that fucking mess?

Again, where are the synergies? Specifically revenue enhancing synergies.

Very nice post!!

I think the idea of the people who want apple to buy sony is the enormous pile of patents of sony and the music and movie business.
Apple needs to offer more content with their hardware products.



Stefl1504 said:
I deem that in one huge move of protectionism this will be prevented by Japan itself.

if they could choose between Apple or Samsung, I think the choice is made here (Apple)



DamnTastic said:
Stefl1504 said:
I deem that in one huge move of protectionism this will be prevented by Japan itself.

if they could choose between Apple or Samsung, I think the choice is made here (Apple)

if they could choose *only* between the two, yes, but honestly, I think they would consider a lot of other options before even considering giving sony up to one of these two... also, the point when apple buys sony it would be the time for me to turn to Nintendo/PC only