Quantcast
Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread (Drama!!)

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread (Drama!!)

Any one crying about sounds just be honest.

you want fake overblow fast and furious Forza sound effects.

hate to break it to you real cars don't sound like that, i doubt any of you ever driven real sports cars at wot to know what they sound like. Pd sounds are boringly realistic to a greater extent then all the bs sounds in other racing games.



Around the Network
Panicnausia said:

Yes sounds I forgot sounds, PD just seems to be ignoring the legacy issues fans have wanted for years. Credit payout is also brutally slow, worse then gt5....MAkes me wonder if Microtransactions  had a part to play, I hope not.


pure bs right there

iv gotten to 900k in credits while buying cars i dont need and modyfing them with out ever running the same race twice to grind money, gt5 was a brutal grind fest for me.  



BeElite said:
Panicnausia said:

Yes sounds I forgot sounds, PD just seems to be ignoring the legacy issues fans have wanted for years. Credit payout is also brutally slow, worse then gt5....MAkes me wonder if Microtransactions  had a part to play, I hope not.


pure bs right there

iv gotten to 900k in credits while buying cars i dont need and modyfing them with out ever running the same race twice to grind money, gt5 was a brutal grind fest for me.  

You're correct. Rose tinted glasses I guess. Graphics weren't better in GT5, certainly not at launch. And it was a grind before the addition of bloated payout seasonal events and daily login bonus. The only way to get decent money at the start was in the special events and they only paid out once. I did a lot of B-Spec grinding before the changes. At some point I was so used to it I could start the next race and repeat the tournament just by looking at the hdd indicator, no need to switch from tv. To be fair I wanted all the expensive le mans cars, I didn't actually need them to progress.



The grinding is way faster in GT6 than GT5... you get credits fast.



BeElite said:
Panicnausia said:
ethomaz said:

Panicnausia said:

How does that help in career mode?? The mode that needs better ai the most??? Just another really poor decision from PD.....A-spec needed better Ai for the last 5 years, yet they improve it in...arcade mode, making carer mode generally bad. I love GT but it  really is frustrating seeing the really bad decisions being made at PD.

The AI in GT6 is not bad... it is good and harder... the Carrer Mode is supposed to be easy... that's didn't allow you to say the AI is terrible or bad.

What our friend are saying the reviewers just played the first Carrer races and wrote "terrible AI" when the AI in the game is way more complex than what they saw... so if you want to challenge the AI for real you need to set it to higuest possible... so you will have everything the AI in GT6 can delievy... you will be surprised.

Reviews should be surprised with the AI too if they invest more time with the game.

Career mode is NOT supposed to be that poor at racing....nor that easy................ Other games do ti fine, why can't GT? No damage is also ridiculous in a  sim, smnashing into a wall, bumper car your way to first undermines GT's sim nature. Game needs a lot of work.


i dont get the whines about carrer mode.

career mode in Forza4 was utter shit.  I gave up on it as its was totally meaningless, there was no accomplishemnt to it.

so what racing sim has this awesome career mode ?

Shift, Forza, Grid, Dirt all have good career modes, as do many PC sims even though they are not all sim.. All reviews and most people who played 6, the single biggest complaint is AI, sounds, no damage, career mode lacking..Carer mode in GT is dull, a long time trial against brain dead pylons.

 

What accomplishment is there in GT?? There is no challenge in GT at all. Heck shift despite its rubbish handling had a great varied carer mode with challenging AI. All rolling starts, chase the rabbit format is just plain bad. There is a reason Pd has rolling starts, no qualifying, you always start at the end......................The AI are just pylons.



Around the Network
Panicnausia said:
BeElite said:

i dont get the whines about carrer mode.

career mode in Forza4 was utter shit.  I gave up on it as its was totally meaningless, there was no accomplishemnt to it.

so what racing sim has this awesome career mode ?

Shift, Forza, Grid, Dirt all have good career modes, as do many PC sims even though they are not all sim.. All reviews and most people who played 6, the single biggest complaint is AI, sounds, no damage, career mode lacking..Carer mode in GT is dull, a long time trial against brain dead pylons.

 

What accomplishment is there in GT?? There is no challenge in GT at all. Heck shift despite its rubbish handling had a great varied carer mode with challenging AI. All rolling starts, chase the rabbit format is just plain bad. There is a reason Pd has rolling starts, no qualifying, you always start at the end......................The AI are just pylons.

GT is a game about driving and overtaking other cars instead of qualifying in first place and staying there all race. No mad dash to the first corner and pass 90% of the pack in the smash um up. The accomplishment comes from making a clean pass and that perfect corner.

The problem with GT is that it leaves it completely up to the user to set their challenge level in career mode. It suggests a certain pp range, but also has an upper limit that leaves you massively ahead of the competition. Maybe they could add difficulty levels with different pp limits and payouts instead of leaving it up to yourself.

Shift was fun but I didn't like the career mode very much. The AI was too agressive, so I usually ended up with a powerful car and spend the whole race up front. No fun interacting with the AI. Dirt the same, just drive out front and let the idiot AI slam into each other behind you.
If I want to battle the ai I'll play an arcade racer.

Best career mode in a driving sim is ETS2. That was very addictive.



Panicnausia said:
adriane23 said:
Panicnausia said:
adriane23 said:
ethomaz said:

EDGE

"Polyphony has produced a handling and physics model that is unmatched by any other racer, but failed to provide AI competition capable of showcasing it to its fullest."

http://www.edge-online.com/review/gran-turismo-6-review/

7/10

I think maybe they didn't reace with AI set to max (10) because it is a hell of competition.

I think a lot of the complaints about AI come from reviewers only going through the novice part of the main races. It took reviewers weeks to get through GT5 when it came out, but now it seems like they just got the game, went through a few races and modes and called it a day.

I also think a lot of the gripes about engine sounds is due to them leaving the sound setting to Living Room instead of bringing it up to small theatre or large theatre. Collisions noise suck no matter the sound setting though, so they're right about those.

The AI is horrendous as are the sounds, and I am a big GT fan. It has nothing to do with reviewers only going through a few races. Career mode IN GT is really bad.

It's designed to get progressively more difficult, that doesn't mean the AI is bad. Other than the collision sound effects, and the lack of echo in tunnels, you can't say that the sound is bad. If that were the case, the sound in every racing game to date is bad because most don't match the level of authenticity in GT6.

I can say they sound is bad..because it is....The cars sound horrible, like vacumn cleaners.... The AI does not get better it's the worst I have seen ina  racing game period. No challenge, never fight for position, constantly sticking to the line and breaking whe it is not needed. Almost every race, the car that starts last ends up last and vice versa. Every other game has betetr AI, sounds. The racing is horrible. Gt right now  is ablout collecting cars and time trial, the racing is not good at all.

LOL so then give me an example of one car in GT6 that doesn't sound like its real life counterpart. Just one.

And please tell me of these other racing games that have better AI than GT6 on max difficulty.



I am the Playstation Avenger.

   

pezus said:
kabamarutr said:
I've put around 30 hours in the game. It is great. Visually, it is improved and more impressive than GT5. Especially those stages that involve natural backgrounds. Matterhorn is absolutely gorgeous to race in. Night-time is improved as well. Many lighting effects give a more persuasive impression of night-time than on GT 5. Moon stages are quite fun and twilight is a bliss.

On gameplay terms there are some improvements that change the experience. The suspension physics work like a charm and let the player feel the weight of a car better than ever. Driving through GoodWood Hill Climb with a 750 KTM and then switching to heavy Ferrari Dino, make that obvious as never before. This addition help the driver understand the balance of the car on the most bendy curves, feel the unload when it reaches the peak and estimate how to complete a turn succesfully.

Along with some refinements in menus, post race-stats and parallel events unlocking every now and then, the game is brilliantly fun to play. It actually is fun, yes. Not the "soulless" GT we all knew. Online is as it always were.

The game's economy is also unchanged. Credits come in large amounts and seldom is the player "forced" to buy a car in-game to participate in some special events. Bonus cars are also present after every completed event or car license.

Here! I hope I've helped some people get a taste of the game.

Thanks for your review. Sounds great, as expected.


You're welcome! It's not a proper review and the full version cannot be published here :P. Anyway, the more I play the game, the more I like it. What has striken me most though is not the improved visuals, day-night cycles or physics improvements. It's way more ... gamer friendly than any GT ever was in the past. I believe Yamauchi has finally got the balance point where fun comes in equal measures with realism. Or is really close to it at least.



This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Panicnausia said:
BeElite said:
Panicnausia said:
ethomaz said:

Panicnausia said:

How does that help in career mode?? The mode that needs better ai the most??? Just another really poor decision from PD.....A-spec needed better Ai for the last 5 years, yet they improve it in...arcade mode, making carer mode generally bad. I love GT but it  really is frustrating seeing the really bad decisions being made at PD.

The AI in GT6 is not bad... it is good and harder... the Carrer Mode is supposed to be easy... that's didn't allow you to say the AI is terrible or bad.

What our friend are saying the reviewers just played the first Carrer races and wrote "terrible AI" when the AI in the game is way more complex than what they saw... so if you want to challenge the AI for real you need to set it to higuest possible... so you will have everything the AI in GT6 can delievy... you will be surprised.

Reviews should be surprised with the AI too if they invest more time with the game.

Career mode is NOT supposed to be that poor at racing....nor that easy................ Other games do ti fine, why can't GT? No damage is also ridiculous in a  sim, smnashing into a wall, bumper car your way to first undermines GT's sim nature. Game needs a lot of work.


i dont get the whines about carrer mode.

career mode in Forza4 was utter shit.  I gave up on it as its was totally meaningless, there was no accomplishemnt to it.

so what racing sim has this awesome career mode ?

Shift, Forza, Grid, Dirt all have good career modes, as do many PC sims even though they are not all sim.. All reviews and most people who played 6, the single biggest complaint is AI, sounds, no damage, career mode lacking..Carer mode in GT is dull, a long time trial against brain dead pylons.

 

What accomplishment is there in GT?? There is no challenge in GT at all. Heck shift despite its rubbish handling had a great varied carer mode with challenging AI. All rolling starts, chase the rabbit format is just plain bad. There is a reason Pd has rolling starts, no qualifying, you always start at the end......................The AI are just pylons.

Things are not quite so in GT6. Opponents may occasionally block your path, move aside to ruin the slipstream, avoid collisions and even ram you to put you off course. It's not something really challenging, yet it is improvement.

The tracks are the real challenge. Hence comes any real sense of accomplishment and it is the core and soul of the GT series. Fullfillment and sense of success comes from besting a real tough curve, exiting a bend or taking advantage of extra energy acquired  from upslopes and downslopes to "trick" the driving line and improve your time.

I've come to a conclusion that throughout the series, the races are nothing more than time trials... with company. Which actually is the case with real races in most times. I've been searching (like mad) the racing line (in real tracks), to see how others drove through it and I certainly never even thought to try and hit another racer. Of course, no money were on stake, so I dont't know what occurs when a real prize is waiting the victor on the finish line.

All in all, GT6 has improved over its predecessors. In almost every term. Whoever even remotely enjoyed the previous installments will certainly love this one.



This, I stole from grandpa...It's called soap.

Forza 5 Meta score - 80 on 59 reviews
Gran Turismo 6 Meta score - 81 on 55 reviews

Seems like GT has taken back the review crown from Forza. Interesting.