Quantcast
Has the "million seller" status lost its significance?

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has the "million seller" status lost its significance?

I think reaching 1 million has become a success for indie games and the few middle end software that still exist. Practically all AAA stuff need much more than 1 million sales in order to be successful. 



Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

The sad thing is that I seem to remember a couple 5 million selling PS3/360 games being money sinks. Last gen publishers could cut their losses with Wii/DS games, but they don't have that luxury now.

Don't worry, there is big money to be made from mobile, browser and free-to-play.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
MontanaHatchet said:

The sad thing is that I seem to remember a couple 5 million selling PS3/360 games being money sinks. Last gen publishers could cut their losses with Wii/DS games, but they don't have that luxury now.

Don't worry, there is big money to be made from mobile, browser and free-to-play.

:(



RolStoppable said:
MontanaHatchet said:

The sad thing is that I seem to remember a couple 5 million selling PS3/360 games being money sinks. Last gen publishers could cut their losses with Wii/DS games, but they don't have that luxury now.

Don't worry, there is big money to be made from mobile, browser and free-to-play.

At the risk of drawing ire, I wonder if it would just be more profitable for Sony to go 3rd party with their handheld development. The Vita is a great system, but I'm not sure if Sony wouldn't just be better served developing for mobile or (god forbid) the 3DS.



 

 

MontanaHatchet said:

At the risk of drawing ire, I wonder if it would just be more profitable for Sony to go 3rd party with their handheld development. The Vita is a great system, but I'm not sure if Sony wouldn't just be better served developing for mobile or (god forbid) the 3DS.

Probably best served by making download-only games for their home consoles instead. They could also make more games for their PlayStation Mobile platform, but the whole games on phones thing is a really crowded space.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Yea, mostly. But I think I bring up Demon' souls here: It was released first only in Japan, but was such a weird/great game that it got very late world wide release and sits now at 1,61m. I think that is amazing for such a hardcore crazy game... Then when we have some "big titles" releasing that sell barely 1 million, that's what makes them feels like a failure.
And yea big games need to sell big or you and your game franchise is doomed.



 

 

Take my love, take my land..

COD sells 20+ million on a yearly basis
Assassins Creed sells about 10 million on a yearly basis

so yeah, being a million seller isn't a big deal anymore. Especially considering the massive development costs.



a million is still a big deawl for a loet of games - jsut bec ause some games sell 20+ million doesn't mean tejhat the boundary has been lowered in my opinion.



Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

radishhead said:
a million is still a big deawl for a loet of games - jsut bec ause some games sell 20+ million doesn't mean tejhat the boundary has been lowered in my opinion.

*adjusts shades*

Necrobumping a three days old thread, suspicious grammar... Okay, get out of the car and walk a straight line.



Last gen (PSWii60) had the most gamers of ANY generation. So yes, I believe 1 million right now for last gen games is not very successful. For this new gen it's a pretty damn good number for launch.