Granted, we, horror fans, are a minority, but even so, there are several reasons for investing in horror games, as follows:
- We are loyal, till the bitter end. See Silent Hill, it had mediocre game after bad game released and we cannot let it go, we always come back for a little more.
- Horror games make a system look cool. See Eternal Darkness on Gamecube, a kiddy weird console got instant street cred because of that one single game.
- We forgive everything: Bad graphics? We don´t care, see ZombieU, slow pace? We love it! Bad aiming? It is a horror feature, not a flaw. We forgive everything if it is horror.
- It is more fun to do horror games: the music is cool and can be inspired by the horror movies classics, the writting can be smarter and inspirate by the literature horror masters, devs just have a lot of fun doing horror.
- You will never be acused of being disgusting sellout like Call of Duty, unless you go the Dead Space 3 route.
- It is cheaper. Since we are so forgiving, production value becomes a sauce, not the main attraction, save some money while doing cool games.
- The good horror games are never forgotten: Solid games become masterpieces when we look back in terms of horror.
- Your brand becomes part of our psyche: no one forgets that game that gave him nightmares and the console it was played.
So, there you have it. What do you guys think?