Quantcast
Nintendo: We have failed to establish Wii U as a “worthy” Wii successor

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: We have failed to establish Wii U as a “worthy” Wii successor

STRYKIE said:
eyeofcore said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii U by design has aboslutely nothing to do with the Wii. Wii successor? Really? LOL Nintendo just needs to admit they went after the tablet market because of the tablet boom.


It aboslutely has to do with Wii because it is a successor to it like PlayStation 2 was to PlayStation and like it was PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 2...

It can play Wii games, it has backward compatibility and it could play Gamecube games if Nintendo wanted to implement that also it supports all Wii controlers and accessories, also how Nintendo went to tablet market when Wii U is not a tablet because it is a console with a controler that has its own screen that acts as secondary screen like on Nintendo DS/3DS while the game is on TV also that idea was in mind for original Wii yet NIntendo decided to ditch it because it was too expensive for the time.

They did not went after tablet market at all even when that tablet boom was tempting yet they already had DS and 3DS by the time it really exploded in 2011.

You need to admit that you have bias against their console because it is either you don't like Nintendo and/or you don't like Wii U's concept that you think it is a gimmick yet I and everyone else could call PS4 + Vita dual screen and off tv a gimmick because we have a valid reason since it is not in consoles design from the start like the Wii U.

Sony and Microsoft fans called Wii nunchuk a gimmick that was not and yet it also was really close to mouse and keyboard precision compared to regular controllers. Microsoft did kinect that was at least original while Sony made a complete rip off... Sony innovates no more... :/


Lol. Stahp.


Hahaha... Look at his profile picture, writen all over it.

Microsoft saw Wii and nunchuk and they decided to make a their own spin on motion controls and kinect is at least original when comes to hardware, ideas, implementation and execution while Sony made a complete rip off by making a "dildo" with that sphere/marbles that could be used for some pervy things and it basically a total rip off.

At least we saw all the crazy things with Wii nunchuk like breaking the LCD/HD TV and/or hitting accidentally someone with a nunchuk. lmao



Around the Network

Good. It took him only one full f*cking year full of droughts, delays, missed forecasts and bad sales to note this.



Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile


S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii U by design has aboslutely nothing to do with the Wii. Wii successor? Really? LOL Nintendo just needs to admit they went after the tablet market because of the tablet boom.


well that's a bunch of bunk now isn't it?

nothing to do with wii???  It's only bc with near all of Wii's software and accessories and a good many games have wii-mote usage.

And to people that get so crazy over the "tablet" (gamepad) and how they should make a normal controller...get a grip.  It's not a tablet, it doesn't function like a tablet.  It's a controller.  A well designed comfortable controller.  A freakin' gamer's controller with all the buttons and bullshit people whined about the wii-mote not having, plus nice sounding speakers, a mic, nfc, ir, gyros and accels, a camera...and I'll be damned if it doesn't have one fine ass touch screen display stuck in the middle of it so that you can do so much more with it than a "standard" controller.  Well shame on them for putting out something really different and really cool rather than a standard controller 4.5.

and if someone is really that resistant to change and just has to use a standard controller because "OMG, I couldn't use a standard controller with a screen on it", it has the pro controller as well, which is f'n sleek.

get a clue



KingdomHeartsFan said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

Yeah, why not try the Gamecube strategy again?

That would only perpetuate the death spiral.

I love how people always use the GameCube as an excuse as to why Nintendo never makes a normal console and doesn't just let their games be the revolutionary thing that ppl should be going out to buy the console for.  If you go back and actually look at Nintendo's first party support on the GameCube it was sub par compared to their other consoles, sure you have your tradional ssb, Mario kart and 3D Mario game then you see the crappy star fox games, the disappointing dk games and wario games, multiple Mario sports games, Mario dance and Mario party game after Mario party game basically ruining the series.  So I guess for the Wii u games will sell the system but for the GameCube the fact that it sold poorly had nothing to do with Nintendo releasing terrible games...


Actually, many of us do think the Wii U is closer to the Gamecube strategy than the Wii. Nintendo deliberately toned down their innovation to accomodate the same old multiplats that want two thumbsticks and four face buttons. We see how successful this strategy is in attracting third party games and the customers who buy them.



"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

eyeofcore said:
STRYKIE said:
eyeofcore said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii U by design has aboslutely nothing to do with the Wii. Wii successor? Really? LOL Nintendo just needs to admit they went after the tablet market because of the tablet boom.


It aboslutely has to do with Wii because it is a successor to it like PlayStation 2 was to PlayStation and like it was PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 2...

It can play Wii games, it has backward compatibility and it could play Gamecube games if Nintendo wanted to implement that also it supports all Wii controlers and accessories, also how Nintendo went to tablet market when Wii U is not a tablet because it is a console with a controler that has its own screen that acts as secondary screen like on Nintendo DS/3DS while the game is on TV also that idea was in mind for original Wii yet NIntendo decided to ditch it because it was too expensive for the time.

They did not went after tablet market at all even when that tablet boom was tempting yet they already had DS and 3DS by the time it really exploded in 2011.

You need to admit that you have bias against their console because it is either you don't like Nintendo and/or you don't like Wii U's concept that you think it is a gimmick yet I and everyone else could call PS4 + Vita dual screen and off tv a gimmick because we have a valid reason since it is not in consoles design from the start like the Wii U.

Sony and Microsoft fans called Wii nunchuk a gimmick that was not and yet it also was really close to mouse and keyboard precision compared to regular controllers. Microsoft did kinect that was at least original while Sony made a complete rip off... Sony innovates no more... :/


Lol. Stahp.


Hahaha... Look at his profile picture, writen all over it.

Microsoft saw Wii and nunchuk and they decided to make a their own spin on motion controls and kinect is at least original when comes to hardware, ideas, implementation and execution while Sony made a complete rip off by making a "dildo" with that sphere/marbles that could be used for some pervy things and it basically a total rip off.

At least we saw all the crazy things with Wii nunchuk like breaking the LCD/HD TV and/or hitting accidentally someone with a nunchuk. lmao

Yeah, so? Are you saying if Mortal Kombat was a system specific franchise, I'd be biased towards that system too? I think there's plenty of obvious Nintendo enthusiasts with Nintendo-associated avatars here who share his opinion.

But what I meant was, it's kinda strange that you cry foul about the Move's similarities to the Wiimote but don't call out any such thing corncerning the Kinect's similarities to the PS2's Eyetoy. I don't care about either of them, so whatever.

And I don't think I've ever heard anyone stress/complain about Sony becoming LESS innovative over the years, have I stumbled into an alternate dimension?

But either way, he is right, attempting to ride off of the success of a previous console hasn't fully worked since the PS2, by Nintendo taking this approach, it's just made the Wii U look like a standard Wii with a Tablet to the mass market who don't know any better, and that's a problem in itself since the Wii became stale to a large chunk of it's install base years ago, while almost everything about the PS1 was still very relevant to it's general install base going into the PS2.



Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Somini said:

Any thoughts on Iwata's comment?

It's anything but easy to establish a console as a worthy successor when it's nothing like its predecessor. That should have been realized before launch though, now it's too late.

Of course Nintendo made things even worse for themselves by omitting important titles altogether. Wii Sports 3 should have been a launch game, but that goes against the Gamepad. So basically, the Gamepad goes against the Wii which leads right back to my initial point. Another thing is that they refrained from announcing games for 2013 during 2012. They expected consumers to commit to a console without even a rough idea of what is coming when. This stands in stark contrast to the unveiling of the Wii: The little white box was all about games, the bigger black box was not. That's pretty damning for a video game console.

Your nickname should be "Nintendo's prophet".

I have to give it to you that, though you didn't formulate it as well as you are now, you always held this thought and it was 100% correct. Nintendo made a good effort to expand, but their attempt to succeed the Wii properly failed by virtue of the gamepad.

Some of us thought the gamepad could lead to DS-like sales, but even the DS' touch line is waning.

It's a bummer. I didn't expect it to turn out this way.



famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

Yeah, why not try the Gamecube strategy again?

That would only perpetuate the death spiral.

I love how people always use the GameCube as an excuse as to why Nintendo never makes a normal console and doesn't just let their games be the revolutionary thing that ppl should be going out to buy the console for.  If you go back and actually look at Nintendo's first party support on the GameCube it was sub par compared to their other consoles, sure you have your tradional ssb, Mario kart and 3D Mario game then you see the crappy star fox games, the disappointing dk games and wario games, multiple Mario sports games, Mario dance and Mario party game after Mario party game basically ruining the series.  So I guess for the Wii u games will sell the system but for the GameCube the fact that it sold poorly had nothing to do with Nintendo releasing terrible games...


Actually, many of us do think the Wii U is closer to the Gamecube strategy than the Wii. Nintendo deliberately toned down their innovation to accomodate the same old multiplats that want two thumbsticks and four face buttons. We see how successful this strategy is in attracting third party games and the customers who buy them.

What ever made them think that, this time, things would be different?...they fooled themselves yet again.



S.T.A.G.E. said:

The Wii U by design has aboslutely nothing to do with the Wii. Wii successor? Really? LOL Nintendo just needs to admit they went after the tablet market because of the tablet boom.


Yeah, because touch screens and 2 screen gaming was literally invented around the time of the rise of tablets.

 

There is absolutely no way that the  WiiU is an ectension of the dual screen concept of the DS with a little bit of Game Boy Advanve- GameCube sprinkled in.



happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:
Somini said:

Any thoughts on Iwata's comment?

It's anything but easy to establish a console as a worthy successor when it's nothing like its predecessor. That should have been realized before launch though, now it's too late.

Of course Nintendo made things even worse for themselves by omitting important titles altogether. Wii Sports 3 should have been a launch game, but that goes against the Gamepad. So basically, the Gamepad goes against the Wii which leads right back to my initial point. Another thing is that they refrained from announcing games for 2013 during 2012. They expected consumers to commit to a console without even a rough idea of what is coming when. This stands in stark contrast to the unveiling of the Wii: The little white box was all about games, the bigger black box was not. That's pretty damning for a video game console.

Your nickname should be "Nintendo's prophet".

I have to give it to you that, though you didn't formulate it as well as you are now, you always held this thought and it was 100% correct. Nintendo made a good effort to expand, but their attempt to succeed the Wii properly failed by virtue of the gamepad.

Some of us thought the gamepad could lead to DS-like sales, but even the DS' touch line is waning.

It's a bummer. I didn't expect it to turn out this way.

Haha, imagine what things would be like with Rol as Nintendo CEO.



famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
famousringo said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I wonder if they'll give up this need to revolutionalize next gen and just make a regular console because they are tramatized by the Wii U, considering it doesn't really pick up speed.  

Yeah, why not try the Gamecube strategy again?

That would only perpetuate the death spiral.

I love how people always use the GameCube as an excuse as to why Nintendo never makes a normal console and doesn't just let their games be the revolutionary thing that ppl should be going out to buy the console for.  If you go back and actually look at Nintendo's first party support on the GameCube it was sub par compared to their other consoles, sure you have your tradional ssb, Mario kart and 3D Mario game then you see the crappy star fox games, the disappointing dk games and wario games, multiple Mario sports games, Mario dance and Mario party game after Mario party game basically ruining the series.  So I guess for the Wii u games will sell the system but for the GameCube the fact that it sold poorly had nothing to do with Nintendo releasing terrible games...


Actually, many of us do think the Wii U is closer to the Gamecube strategy than the Wii. Nintendo deliberately toned down their innovation to accomodate the same old multiplats that want two thumbsticks and four face buttons. We see how successful this strategy is in attracting third party games and the customers who buy them.

Ya its closer but its still pretty far also I wouldn't think of it as the hardware attracts third parties, Nintendo should be going to these third parties and getting them to develop games for them, Sony actually went a step beyond that and went to these third parties when developing the system.  This isn't like the days of the NES when developers had to go through rigarous requirements to get their games on Nintendo's console, they will just pass up Nintendo and go to the competition, Nintendo has to be the one to make the first step.