Quantcast
Ni no Kuni has sold 1.4 Million Units on DS and PS3

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ni no Kuni has sold 1.4 Million Units on DS and PS3

Sad that JRPGs nowadays try hard to reach one million, but good to see the support is still there.



Around the Network

Japan

[NDS] Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi (Level 5) {2010.12.09} - 554,378
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Level 5) {2011.11.17} - 150,715
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (All-in-One Edition) (Level 5) {2012.07.19} - 17,328

Total sales as of December 30, 2012 - 722,421 (current shipped number is probably around 750,000)

Source: Media Create

Rest of the world

- About 650,000 (PS3 version)

Worldwide

- 1,400,000

Stole fromm gaf



Well deserved.

This will be my next RPG that I will be playing once I'm done with ToS!



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

Wright said:

Sad that JRPGs nowadays try hard to reach one million, but good to see the support is still there.


Ni No Kuni is the exception, but recent JRPGs aren't that good anymore.  Although unfair, Final Fantasy 13 tainted and turned people off from the whole JPRG genre.  




bevochan said:
Wright said:

Sad that JRPGs nowadays try hard to reach one million, but good to see the support is still there.


Ni No Kuni is the exception, but recent JRPGs aren't that good anymore.  Although unfair, Final Fantasy 13 tainted and turned people off from the whole JPRG genre.  


I wouldn't say that either. The Tales of series is a great JRPG franchise. Demon's and Dark Souls are particulary niche and old-school, yet they sold pretty well.

 

It's just that the interest of this genre has been dying. There are few JRPGs this generation that have cracked the one million mark. And we're counting DS sales here, with Ni No Kuni, otherwise it wouldn't have made it.



Around the Network

I'm tired of hear that FF XIII destroyed sales of JRPG in western countries.... That's not true, sales of JRPG not named Final Fantasy were normally poor and after FF XIII are still poor. Stop using FF XIII to blame the sales of an entire genre. FF XIII was not perfect, i admit, but it was just one game in an entire saga....

The list of jrpg games that sold 1m outside japan since ps1 era has to be very short....In my opinion JRPG didn't change too much, we are the ones that changed because we grew up and now we see things differently.



I wonder if it was a worthwhile investment. The PS3 version had to be expensive to make and the profit would have to be split somehow between L5 and Ghibli. I hope it's considered a success internally. I'd love to know their expectations or goals.



Wright said:
bevochan said:
Wright said:

Sad that JRPGs nowadays try hard to reach one million, but good to see the support is still there.


Ni No Kuni is the exception, but recent JRPGs aren't that good anymore.  Although unfair, Final Fantasy 13 tainted and turned people off from the whole JPRG genre.  


I wouldn't say that either. The Tales of series is a great JRPG franchise. Demon's and Dark Souls are particulary niche and old-school, yet they sold pretty well.

 

It's just that the interest of this genre has been dying. There are few JRPGs this generation that have cracked the one million mark. And we're counting DS sales here, with Ni No Kuni, otherwise it wouldn't have made it.



Nearly all JRPGs are successful before hitting 1 million, that's not a universal benchmark. 1 mil would be a big success. These overseas sales for NNK are great.




manuel said:

Yes, there was a DS version, but it's not the same game.
It's actually quite beautiful and came with an awesome spell book.

*beautiful pics that make me regret never attempting to learn Japanese*

 


Wow, looks great ! Did every game come with the book or was that just a special edition ?



I will be picking this up as after playing through Tales of Xillia, KH 1.5, and Xenoblade chronicles. I also have yet to beat Eternal Sonata...SO MANY JRPGS!! argh!!!



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian