Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why didn't Nintendo never release a Mario Golf/Mario Tennis on the Wii?

With how successful Wii Sports was, why didn't Nintendo further develop the existing Golf/Tennis games on Wii sport into more in depth Mario based version. It just seem such an obvious games to make for the time and both games could have been potentially been 10+ million seller each?



Around the Network

Well, they released Mario Power Tennis for Wii in 2008 under the New Play Control series, just like Pikmin and Metroid Prime.

I don't know if that counts, per se.

I think Mario sports games are better suited for portable play. Nintendo probably figured that since Wii Sports and Wii Fit were selling so well throughout all of Wii's lifespan, and since they couldn't be done on portables, that they might not have wanted to release motion-controlled Mario sports games to compete with the motion-controlled Wii series.

So, basically, just my roundabout way of saying that I assume Nintendo consciously decided no Mario Sports titles for Wii (other than soccer and baseball) in order to not cannibalize their own Wii Sports and Wii Fit games.



The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

i liked both games on wii-sports, but i would not have bought either of those titles.

There was so many other games like that. Plus the sales of the Mario sports titles were not stellar on the Wii. Not bad, but nothing to write home to Miyamoto about either.

 Bananaking was right, I was wrong. Like he always is. About the 3DS not selling at least 19.999 million in 2013...

Screamapillar said:

Well, they released Mario Power Tennis for Wii in 2008 under the New Play Control series, just like Pikmin and Metroid Prime.

I don't know if that counts, per se.

I think Mario sports games are better suited for portable play. Nintendo probably figured that since Wii Sports and Wii Fit were selling so well throughout all of Wii's lifespan, and since they couldn't be done on portables, that they might not have wanted to release motion-controlled Mario sports games to compete with the motion-controlled Wii series.

So, basically, just my roundabout way of saying that I assume Nintendo consciously decided no Mario Sports titles for Wii (other than soccer and baseball) in order to not cannibalize their own Wii Sports and Wii Fit games.

I don't think either Golf/Tennis Mario game could have possible hurt Wii sport sales for simple fact is you were forced to have Wii sports regardless as it came with the console (Japan excluded of course). I can understand somewhat the issue of cannibalize their existing sport titles. But Wii Sport was never really the complete full retail game in the first place and was more a tech demo to Wii potenial features. There was a lot potenial there for a more in depth game to be made based on Tennis/Golf section of Wii sports. Wii sport was no question the reason why the casual audience brought the Wii, so why not make follow up games which already proven to appeal heavily to the casual audience. It just seem like a no brainer really.



Around the Network
I think they didn't want Mario Tennis/Golf in part because Wii Sports was so huge. They wanted people to focus on Wii Sports.

spurgeonryan said:
There was so many other games like that. Plus the sales of the Mario sports titles were not stellar on the Wii. Not bad, but nothing to write home to Miyamoto about either.

Doesn't Mario Kart count as sport title then, as it's essential of the motor sports genre?

It just seem weird Nintendo decide to make other sports games which were clearly weren't as well suited to the Wii like Sport Mix, Mario Strikers Charged & Mario Super Sluggers instead on improving on their existing Wii Sport Tennis/Golf, which worked remarkable well on the Wii instead.



We can also ask Nintendo why we didn't see no Starfox or F-Zero lol

OneHappyGamer:) said:
We can also ask Nintendo why we didn't see no Starfox or F-Zero lol


Both of those franchises were declining in sales. For Start Fox it was understandable but there is no damn excuse as to why F-Zero GX did not even break the 1 mil mark.



Around the Network
AgentZorn said:
OneHappyGamer:) said:
We can also ask Nintendo why we didn't see no Starfox or F-Zero lol


Both of those franchises were declining in sales. For Start Fox it was understandable but there is no damn excuse as to why F-Zero GX did not even break the 1 mil mark.

agreed. F-Zero GX looked incredible graphicaly for its time, and still holds up today. and the gameplay.... oh man, could be the best Racing game period. its amazing the graphical quality it has, and even with such high speeds theres still very little frame drop if any it all (for me atleast)

truly shows the awesomeness of Sega and Nintendo work. its got Nintendo's polish, and Sega's Speed. best of both worlds.