Quantcast
Technical breakdown on Next-Gen Game Consoles GPU

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Technical breakdown on Next-Gen Game Consoles GPU

biglittlesps said:
IHateLife said:
Hmmmm.... I think graphics are important but prettier graphics don't make the games better in most cases, that being said, these boxes all look pretty bad next to a decent PC even if the supposed "code to the metal" is applied to them when talking about power. You can get a 390 USD GTX 770 right now(faster than a GTX680, comes in 2GB standard or 4GB for about 440 USD or so) and toss that into a 6 year old PC running K10s or Core2s, and that will run laps around the new consoles already. It would of course cost more to build an entirely new PC but the upgrade path is also a viable one if you just have something laying around. You can go AMD 7970GHz Edition for about 10 bucks cheaper but Nvidia GTX 770 has excellent driver support and PhysX while being faster in most benches so......

Anyways, 8th gen consoles are somewhat disappointing to me so far as powers go, but I'm sure there will be good games on all platforms and that's what really counts.


I'm sure that GPU which PS4 has the potential to meet the High End GPU's of PC because PS4 GPU has optimizations which is not possible with PC GPU's so PS4 GPU Can match close to 7950 performance atlest, we have to worry about the Wii U and Xbox one GPU which doesn't has enough hardware in GPU to match High End GPU performance since its bottlenecked with DDR3 and 32MB SRAM by complicating which needs more tricks for developers to get most out of it.


It doesn't really matter how optimized the PS4 GPU might be when the high end PC GPUs are already at the very least over 2X more powerful at current times and will be cheaper by the time the new PS and X are out. You also have to remember that the AMD HD9xxx series are coming out in the same time frame which is a step beyond the current high end PC GPU as well at 2x the specs. 8th gen consoles are just not that powerful when you look at it from that perspective. We really should be focusing on the games instead if we are to call ourselves gamers.



Around the Network
IHateLife said:
biglittlesps said:
IHateLife said:
Hmmmm.... I think graphics are important but prettier graphics don't make the games better in most cases, that being said, these boxes all look pretty bad next to a decent PC even if the supposed "code to the metal" is applied to them when talking about power. You can get a 390 USD GTX 770 right now(faster than a GTX680, comes in 2GB standard or 4GB for about 440 USD or so) and toss that into a 6 year old PC running K10s or Core2s, and that will run laps around the new consoles already. It would of course cost more to build an entirely new PC but the upgrade path is also a viable one if you just have something laying around. You can go AMD 7970GHz Edition for about 10 bucks cheaper but Nvidia GTX 770 has excellent driver support and PhysX while being faster in most benches so......

Anyways, 8th gen consoles are somewhat disappointing to me so far as powers go, but I'm sure there will be good games on all platforms and that's what really counts.


I'm sure that GPU which PS4 has the potential to meet the High End GPU's of PC because PS4 GPU has optimizations which is not possible with PC GPU's so PS4 GPU Can match close to 7950 performance atlest, we have to worry about the Wii U and Xbox one GPU which doesn't has enough hardware in GPU to match High End GPU performance since its bottlenecked with DDR3 and 32MB SRAM by complicating which needs more tricks for developers to get most out of it.


It doesn't really matter how optimized the PS4 GPU might be when the high end PC GPUs are already at the very least over 2X more powerful at current times and will be cheaper by the time the new PS and X are out. You also have to remember that the AMD HD9xxx series are coming out in the same time frame which is a step beyond the current high end PC GPU as well at 2x the specs. 8th gen consoles are just not that powerful when you look at it from that perspective. We really should be focusing on the games instead if we are to call ourselves gamers.

If you compare 8th Gen with 7th Gen then they are powerful enough to make great games because look at the Games Last of Us, Uncharted, God of war etc., which was done in the hardware of 200,6 so we can expect some great games with the hardware we have. PC hardware technology is moving really fast so we can't catch up with that in terms of Performance but the consoles can be affordable over the time and it has many AAA exclusive games which PC cannot get. So, developers have the hardware which they can explore for 5 years to create great games atleast instead of meddling with different architectures/specifications of PC GPU's.



GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

biglittlesps said:

If you compare 8th Gen with 7th Gen then they are powerful enough to make great games because look at the Games Last of Us, Uncharted, God of war etc.,


Which compared to PC games look low res and horrible and run slowly and full of quick time events that is passed off as "gameplay".

biglittlesps said:

PC hardware technology is moving really fast so we can't catch up with that in terms of Performance but the consoles can be affordable over the time and it has many AAA exclusive games which PC cannot get.


Likewise if you purchased a Core 2 Quad when this generation first started, you could still run every game today if all you did was upgrade the GPU every few years, the PC is cheaper in the long run when you account for the fact that online is free and games are far cheaper, which more than makes up for the cost of the initial hardware.
If you get on the topic of exclusive games, the PC has more than any other platform, heck the PC has more games available than all 3 current generation consoles combined, some genre's are more popular than others of course.

biglittlesps said:

 So, developers have the hardware which they can explore for 5 years to create great games atleast instead of meddling with different architectures/specifications of PC GPU's.


If you think Developers program games for all the different variations of computer hardware, then you're kidding yourself, it's simply not feasible on the PC.
In-fact Developers used to do that about 20 years ago, programming games to take advantage of specific features found on certain hardware, case in point GLIDE for 3dfx cards or wav based audio only if you had a Sound Blaster sound card.

Today, developers instead target their games for specific API's as they can then assume that the feature set regardless of hardware will be identical, that was the entire point of Direct X and OpenGL from the very start and it paid off in spades.

Of course, whether a certain platform is better suited to an individual should pretty much come down to the exclusive games.

I personally wouldn't give up StarCraft, StarCitizen, Planetary Annihialation, Civilisation, Arma, Command and Conquer, DayZ, X3, Company of Heroes or Total War (Just to name a few) for the games you listed or go back to dealing with only 1080P resolutions.



Pemalite said:
biglittlesps said:

If you compare 8th Gen with 7th Gen then they are powerful enough to make great games because look at the Games Last of Us, Uncharted, God of war etc.,


Which compared to PC games look low res and horrible and run slowly and full of quick time events that is passed off as "gameplay".

biglittlesps said:

PC hardware technology is moving really fast so we can't catch up with that in terms of Performance but the consoles can be affordable over the time and it has many AAA exclusive games which PC cannot get.


Likewise if you purchased a Core 2 Quad when this generation first started, you could still run every game today if all you did was upgrade the GPU every few years, the PC is cheaper in the long run when you account for the fact that online is free and games are far cheaper, which more than makes up for the cost of the initial hardware.
If you get on the topic of exclusive games, the PC has more than any other platform, heck the PC has more games available than all 3 current generation consoles combined, some genre's are more popular than others of course.

biglittlesps said:

 So, developers have the hardware which they can explore for 5 years to create great games atleast instead of meddling with different architectures/specifications of PC GPU's.


If you think Developers program games for all the different variations of computer hardware, then you're kidding yourself, it's simply not feasible on the PC.
In-fact Developers used to do that about 20 years ago, programming games to take advantage of specific features found on certain hardware, case in point GLIDE for 3dfx cards or wav based audio only if you had a Sound Blaster sound card.

Today, developers instead target their games for specific API's as they can then assume that the feature set regardless of hardware will be identical, that was the entire point of Direct X and OpenGL from the very start and it paid off in spades.

Of course, whether a certain platform is better suited to an individual should pretty much come down to the exclusive games.

I personally wouldn't give up StarCraft, StarCitizen, Planetary Annihialation, Civilisation, Arma, Command and Conquer, DayZ, X3, Company of Heroes or Total War (Just to name a few) for the games you listed or go back to dealing with only 1080P resolutions.

API is the thing which limits the delveopers exploring/squeezing more out of the hardware for advanced developers. Low level access can provide advanced developers like Naughty dog, Santa monica and GG to create great looking games. But, API's simplify things for regular and indie developers to create games quickly which is great but not very good for advanced developers to get more out of the hardware.

I know everyone like different kind fo games so its upto their preference to choose which they want to play. I just said those games (Last of us, Killzone, god of  war etc.,) are looking great due to the optimization and exploring of the developers for 2006 hardware so we can get more like that from PS4/Xbone/Wii U.



GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

biglittlesps said:

API is the thing which limits the delveopers exploring/squeezing more out of the hardware for advanced developers. Low level access can provide advanced developers like Naughty dog, Santa monica and GG to create great looking games. But, API's simplify things for regular and indie developers to create games quickly which is great but not very good for advanced developers to get more out of the hardware.

I know everyone like different kind fo games so its upto their preference to choose which they want to play. I just said those games (Last of us, Killzone, god of  war etc.,) are looking great due to the optimization and exploring of the developers for 2006 hardware so we can get more like that from PS4/Xbone/Wii U.


Microsoft, AMD and nVidia as well as Intel (Plus other companies) collaborate in setting standards for Direct X and OpenGL, thus making things like Tessellation become an industry standard, which then years later ends up in a console. (So by extension Microsoft has helped in defining many of the technologies that's in the PS3 and PS4!)
Developers then are pretty much guaranteed such features will be available on all PC's and thus can take advantage of it, the PC wouldn't have gotten Tessellation in Battlefield 3 if it wasn't for it's API's.

Sure using API's does bring with it small performance penalties, but nothing that's catastrophic due to how efficienct compilers are these days and the massive amounts of development time and budget nVidia and AMD have spent over the years, making their drivers the most efficient as they can.
The end result is, we get new technologies that improve image quality sooner and industry wide, whilst consoles are stuck years in the past with the same feature sets.

Seriously, I can name dozens of PC games that rely on Direct X yet they look far better than any console exclusive, that's despite console developers having "Low level access" to the hardware.



Around the Network
biglittlesps said:
IHateLife said:
biglittlesps said:
IHateLife said:
Hmmmm.... I think graphics are important but prettier graphics don't make the games better in most cases, that being said, these boxes all look pretty bad next to a decent PC even if the supposed "code to the metal" is applied to them when talking about power. You can get a 390 USD GTX 770 right now(faster than a GTX680, comes in 2GB standard or 4GB for about 440 USD or so) and toss that into a 6 year old PC running K10s or Core2s, and that will run laps around the new consoles already. It would of course cost more to build an entirely new PC but the upgrade path is also a viable one if you just have something laying around. You can go AMD 7970GHz Edition for about 10 bucks cheaper but Nvidia GTX 770 has excellent driver support and PhysX while being faster in most benches so......

Anyways, 8th gen consoles are somewhat disappointing to me so far as powers go, but I'm sure there will be good games on all platforms and that's what really counts.


I'm sure that GPU which PS4 has the potential to meet the High End GPU's of PC because PS4 GPU has optimizations which is not possible with PC GPU's so PS4 GPU Can match close to 7950 performance atlest, we have to worry about the Wii U and Xbox one GPU which doesn't has enough hardware in GPU to match High End GPU performance since its bottlenecked with DDR3 and 32MB SRAM by complicating which needs more tricks for developers to get most out of it.


It doesn't really matter how optimized the PS4 GPU might be when the high end PC GPUs are already at the very least over 2X more powerful at current times and will be cheaper by the time the new PS and X are out. You also have to remember that the AMD HD9xxx series are coming out in the same time frame which is a step beyond the current high end PC GPU as well at 2x the specs. 8th gen consoles are just not that powerful when you look at it from that perspective. We really should be focusing on the games instead if we are to call ourselves gamers.

If you compare 8th Gen with 7th Gen then they are powerful enough to make great games because look at the Games Last of Us, Uncharted, God of war etc., which was done in the hardware of 200,6 so we can expect some great games with the hardware we have. PC hardware technology is moving really fast so we can't catch up with that in terms of Performance but the consoles can be affordable over the time and it has many AAA exclusive games which PC cannot get. So, developers have the hardware which they can explore for 5 years to create great games atleast instead of meddling with different architectures/specifications of PC GPU's.


Hence read the bolded in my first post.... we are on the same page now :) I have played God of War 3, Uncharted series, and The Last of Us, and even though they don't have the best visuals, they are all great games, that's the most important part. Also, PC GPU's work with drivers and their integration with the API layer, if anything, they are unified on the API level,  configuration is not much an issue these days unless you have faulty hardware.



Tagged



Humble comment from specs ignorant guy: Playstaion is writtend in the chart, it's wrong.



Persona 5 on PS3, I won't need next gen!

educated breakdown *claps*, though it would be more fair to compare the x1 gpu to a HD 7790, specially because it can do 2 triangle/cycle unlike the HD 7770 and that's the main difference bewteen the two. Otherwise it's closer to the 7770 in raw power.



one thing i know about wii u, is that it spends less energy, produce the same graphics or better than PS360, just strugles to match the performance(framerates) visually it even manages to have no screen tearing etc