Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best Starfox game that isn't Starfox 64

Best non 64 starfox game

Star Fox
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox Command

The starfox series has encountered more hiccups than any other Nintendo franchise. With only one really good game in the franchise, the series is a bit of a hot mess.

That being said, besides Starfox 64, which starfox game strikes your fancy? 

For me, it is command. Command's controls were very polarizing, but I liked them quite a bit. It's also the only one with online multiplayer, which was actually very fun. The story was cheesy, but all the alternate endings made for some great replay value.

 




Around the Network
I'll go with the original Star Fox over Adventures, because the latter is just a spinoff. Command is rather boring, because it only offers arena levels. I didn't even play Assault, because reviews suggested that about 60% of the game were TPS segments.

The original Star Fox blows Star Fox 64 out of the water when it comes to music. I can't think of any other series that experienced such a steep drop in the quality of compositions from one game to the next.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Biased reviews are a pleasure to read. Just my opinion, of course.

Star Fox adventures was a good game
Star Fox Assault was bad imo
Never played Command
Never played the original

Nintendo really needs to make a sequel to 64, I wish Retro was working on one.

How many Star Fox's were there?

Mobile Suit Gundam Encounters in Space, Omega Boost, or Zone of Enders 2.

kuporeviews and other stuff

NeoRatt said:
Sony is now renaming the PlayStation to the RePlayStation...

You can replay PC Indie or PS3 games on it!
Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I'll go with the original Star Fox over Adventures, because the latter is just a spinoff. Command is rather boring, because it only offers arena levels. I didn't even play Assault, because reviews suggested that about 60% of the game were TPS segments.

The original Star Fox blows Star Fox 64 out of the water when it comes to music. I can't think of any other series that experienced such a steep drop in the quality of compositions from one game to the next.

Metroid Prime 1-3 -> Metroid Other M
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie -> Nuts and Bolts
Pokemon D/P -> B/W (maybe just me)
Mario Kart DS -> Mario Kart 7
Paper Mario 2 -> Sticker Star
DKC3 -> DKCR
Starcraft -> Starcraft 2



Just the first level of Star Fox Assault.

Soleron said:

Metroid Prime 1-3 -> Metroid Other M
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie -> Nuts and Bolts
Pokemon D/P -> B/W (maybe just me)
Mario Kart DS -> Mario Kart 7
Paper Mario 1-2 -> Sticker Star
Starcraft -> Starcraft 2

Metroid: Other M has barely any music, so the choice to go for something entirely different is the main culprit.
Nuts & Bolts... can't say it had a memorable soundtrack, but I don't remember being underwhelmed either.
Pokémon, I don't know. Didn't play those games.
Mario Kart is probably just you overemphasizing Rainbow Road... again. No issues for me at all.
Sticker Star had quite a few good tunes.
Starcraft, I don't know.

Going from the Corneria theme in Star Fox to the same theme in Star Fox 64... so bad. The same goes for the rest of the soundtrack. Aside from the beginning of Area 6 and maybe the Star Wolf theme, there really aren't any bright spots in the SF64 soundtrack. It's a drop from kickass video game music to elevator tunes. Games like Mario Kart 7 and Sticker Star still had remixes, but SF64 only had a newly composed mess.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Biased reviews are a pleasure to read. Just my opinion, of course.

RolStoppable said:
Soleron said:

Metroid Prime 1-3 -> Metroid Other M
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie -> Nuts and Bolts
Pokemon D/P -> B/W (maybe just me)
Mario Kart DS -> Mario Kart 7
Paper Mario 1-2 -> Sticker Star
Starcraft -> Starcraft 2

Metroid: Other M has barely any music, so the choice to go for something entirely different is the main culprit.
Nuts & Bolts... can't say it had a memorable soundtrack, but I don't remember being underwhelmed either.
Pokémon, I don't know. Didn't play those games.
Mario Kart is probably just you overemphasizing Rainbow Road... again. No issues for me at all.
Sticker Star had quite a few good tunes.
Starcraft, I don't know.

Going from the Corneria theme in Star Fox to the same theme in Star Fox 64... so bad. The same goes for the rest of the soundtrack. Aside from the beginning of Area 6 and maybe the Star Wolf theme, there really aren't any bright spots in the SF64 soundtrack. It's a drop from kickass video game music to elevator tunes. Games like Mario Kart 7 and Sticker Star still had remixes, but SF64 only had a newly composed mess.

Opposite for me. I have an intense hatred for remixes.  I'd rather it was a failed new composition than that. 

Starcraft was memorable -> ambient in the fine tradition of recent Western PC games.

I d agree with you on SF -> SF64, but I still liked some tracks from 64 (Starwolf). I like very little of anything Nintendo's done in the last five years except Xenoblade. Then again, everyone and their dog disagrees with me that Galaxy 2 < Galaxy soundtrack wise.



Around the Network

How about just the first mission in Star Fox Assult, can I just pick that?