Quantcast
You will need ~$650 bucks to match next gen consoles on PC

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You will need ~$650 bucks to match next gen consoles on PC

dahuman said:
VGKing said:
But does it have 8GB of GDDR5? Unified? What about an APU? No?
Nothing to see here folks.


Why would you want an APU? o_O; You can run seperate CPU and GPU and push them much harder because of better heat dissipation on different parts with good air flow since PC these days is more about brute force(why my fav cars remain to be muscle cars too, yummmm... even though I drive a hybrid lol....). Unified RAM wouldn't work with PCs due to the nature of how it works either as PCs are more app heavy so you want lower latency memory at the sacrifice of bandwidth which is why you have RAM on the GPU itself, not to mention that it's not even that much money to max out the RAM in your PC these days since I've been running 32GB for awhile now lol...... Also, where is Raid-0 on consoles? Can I attach 2 512GB SSDs to them to form 1TB of space and make them load games at 1000+MB/s? A lot to see here :D

 

Money is a beautiful thing.

Money. That's what it comes down to. You can build a $5,000 PC that makes next-gen consoles look like toys. Doesn't matter. Not even PC games will take full advantage of that kind of hardware. So if you own thousand-dollar PCs, good for you. Running a game at 1080p/60FPS on high is really all that is needed. Anything above that is useless and not worth the money.  



Around the Network
VGKing said:
dahuman said:
VGKing said:
But does it have 8GB of GDDR5? Unified? What about an APU? No?
Nothing to see here folks.


Why would you want an APU? o_O; You can run seperate CPU and GPU and push them much harder because of better heat dissipation on different parts with good air flow since PC these days is more about brute force(why my fav cars remain to be muscle cars too, yummmm... even though I drive a hybrid lol....). Unified RAM wouldn't work with PCs due to the nature of how it works either as PCs are more app heavy so you want lower latency memory at the sacrifice of bandwidth which is why you have RAM on the GPU itself, not to mention that it's not even that much money to max out the RAM in your PC these days since I've been running 32GB for awhile now lol...... Also, where is Raid-0 on consoles? Can I attach 2 512GB SSDs to them to form 1TB of space and make them load games at 1000+MB/s? A lot to see here :D

 

Money is a beautiful thing.

Money. That's what it comes down to. You can build a $5,000 PC that makes next-gen consoles look like toys. Doesn't matter. Not even PC games will take full advantage of that kind of hardware. So if you own thousand-dollar PCs, good for you. Running a game at 1080p/60FPS on high is really all that is needed. Anything above that is useless and not worth the money.  

It's a good thing then because I have already advocated that building an overpowered PC purely for gaming is a silly thing to do unless you just have that much money to spare so I obviously do much more with mine :P. It's not for the poor upfront though, the value shows overtime whereas these new consoles will slowly burn away the money, you are basically paying a mortgage now when gaming on these new consoles unless you don't want to play online ever or you have a Wii U which is a true value much like the PS3 and Wii(I've talked shit about Gold for years now for good reasons), where PC is more paid upfront with more flexibility and power in that type of comparison.

PS: 5000 dollars? are you building a multi-rack server or are you just pulling a number out of your ass because you don't know a thing about PC hardware? geez lol.



Controller? HDMi Cable?



dahuman said:

It's a good thing then because I have already advocated that building an overpowered PC purely for gaming is a silly thing to do unless you just have that much money to spare so I obviously do much more with mine :P. It's not for the poor upfront though, the value shows overtime whereas these new consoles will slowly burn away the money, you are basically paying a mortgage now when gaming on these new consoles unless you don't want to play online ever or you have a Wii U which is a true value much like the PS3 and Wii(I've talked shit about Gold for years now for good reasons), where PC is more paid upfront with more flexibility and power in that type of comparison.

PS: 5000 dollars? are you building a multi-rack server or are you just pulling a number out of your ass because you don't know a thing about PC hardware? geez lol.

So basically Wii U + PC free online so itz betterz? Ok good for you. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I know plenty about PC hardware and its completely unnecessary to build at $5000 PC. Yes, this number is exagerrated. I'm making a point. BTW, building a top of the line PC can easily bring up the price to $5k. Hell the Nvidia Titan GPU easily costs $1000+ and that's just for one of them. Top of the line i7s cost over $1000 too. So that's $3000 for just dual GPUs + CPU. For everything else you need to make this thing run, it'll easily come around $5k. You're so smart I'll leave it up to you to finish building this rig.



Actually this generation is the first time that the consoles have no real advantages towards PCs anymore, console exclusive games get less end lesser, the PC get almost all console games nowadays plus PC games are today cheaper then ever, they cost right from the releas 20 bucks lesser than the console versions and even this price stay not for long, there are big sales on steam for almost new games all the time and PC hardware is today cheaper than ever, last generation you had to spend 800-1000bucks if you wanted a PC which matched Xbox 360 performance, this time for PS4 and Xbone 600 bucks. Even the argument that you have to install your games on PC and consoles are way easier you only have to plug in and can play is not true anymore, you have to install console games too today. And online gaming is on PCs still for free, on Xbox and PS4 you have to pay for it.
If you realy think about it than it is way smarter to invest your money in a good PC than to buy a Xbone or PS4. All advantages consoles once had are long gone now.



Around the Network
VGKing said:
dahuman said:

It's a good thing then because I have already advocated that building an overpowered PC purely for gaming is a silly thing to do unless you just have that much money to spare so I obviously do much more with mine :P. It's not for the poor upfront though, the value shows overtime whereas these new consoles will slowly burn away the money, you are basically paying a mortgage now when gaming on these new consoles unless you don't want to play online ever or you have a Wii U which is a true value much like the PS3 and Wii(I've talked shit about Gold for years now for good reasons), where PC is more paid upfront with more flexibility and power in that type of comparison.

PS: 5000 dollars? are you building a multi-rack server or are you just pulling a number out of your ass because you don't know a thing about PC hardware? geez lol.

So basically Wii U + PC free online so itz betterz? Ok good for you. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

I know plenty about PC hardware and its completely unnecessary to build at $5000 PC. Yes, this number is exagerrated. I'm making a point. BTW, building a top of the line PC can easily bring up the price to $5k. Hell the Nvidia Titan GPU easily costs $1000+ and that's just for one of them. Top of the line i7s cost over $1000 too. So that's $3000 for just dual GPUs + CPU. For everything else you need to make this thing run, it'll easily come around $5k. You're so smart I'll leave it up to you to finish building this rig.

Actually, a reasonable build would look like this even if we were to stay on thread topic:

939.24-80 mail in rebate= 859.24 + 4 free games(170USD value) and a 20USD gift card. More powerful than PS4 and Xbox One even after counting overhead, and values in at about the same price once you count the subscription based online gaming for over 4 years or so.

Top of the line PC is for professional work and crazy people like pema, those double as work stations and are not needed for gaming lol, I'm so smart that I wouldn't even bring those kinds of rigs on the table for gaming unless I deem them required for certain tasks not related to gaming. Keep in mind that those images are not even the best deals since I only used newegg as a reference, you can actually find better ones. Current PCs already offer a good deal and price drops will come again by the time the rest of the 8th gen consoles are out, it's not even a real competition TBH if you know what you are doing so my points stand firmly :P whereas yours make no practical sense.

Oh and if you feel like paying for Windows, go for it lol..... you can find a license for like 15 bucks if you look around, or nothing at all. So yeah I do know my shit, not like that's a big surprise.



ethomaz said:

Just wait the games and you will see a $650 PC can't give you the same graphic/performance than next-gen consoles.

Key points...

+ The CPU is fine but you will have some bottlenecks in some heavly multi-threaded games
+ Needs more GPU power to match PS4 (for Xbone is fine)
+ Needs more VRAM (2GB)
+ Needs more SystemRAM to match PS4 (for Xbone is fine)
+ Needs a controller (or keyborad/mouse)
+ Needs a BD-ROM

It will be funny soon when the multiplat games to run at 1080p@60fps require at least a $900-1000 PC.

That CPU is fine.  The Jaguar performs much worse per cycle per core.

That's basically the same GPU as the PS4, and you'll be able to overclock it since you're not restricted to a tiny case with poor cooling.

Just because the PS4 has 7GB of VRAM available doesn't mean it can/will use it all for graphics.  8GB RAM + 2GB VRAM should be fine (I agree the OP needs to up the DDR3).

If you don't have a keyboard by now, that's depressing.

Who needs a BD-ROM when all of your games are digital.



tarheel91 said:

That CPU is fine.  The Jaguar performs much worse per cycle per core.

That's basically the same GPU as the PS4, and you'll be able to overclock it since you're not restricted to a tiny case with poor cooling.

Just because the PS4 has 7GB of VRAM available doesn't mean it can/will use it all for graphics.  8GB RAM + 2GB VRAM should be fine (I agree the OP needs to up the DDR3).

If you don't have a keyboard by now, that's depressing.

Who needs a BD-ROM when all of your games are digital.

Yeah.... the CPU in single thread is better but in multithread not because the CPU listed is a dual-core... he needs at least a quad-core in this case.

It's already proved that GPU on consoles reach close to 100% efficience and in PC is more 50-60% efficience... it is the same power but to match a console you will need a way powerful GPU on PC... PC have a lot of overhead... consoles is close to metal.

Killzone (the only game that we knows for sure how much RAM is using) used 3GB VRAM... he needs to increase both VRAM to 4GB RAM and SystemRAM to at least 6GB RAM (the OS and apps on PC uses close to 2GB)... so the PC will have 4GB VRAM and ~4GB System RAM available to games... with the disadvantage of not being shared.

I don't have keyboard... I have a notebook... I think every desktop PC you need to buy something to control the game lol.

PS4 have BD-ROM... you want a PC to match the PS4... so you need a BD-ROM to do the fair comparison.



I can't wait for comparison videos. PS4 vs 7870 builds.

I think the PS4 will out perform a 7870 build especially after a few years.



Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

ethomaz said:

tarheel91 said:

That CPU is fine.  The Jaguar performs much worse per cycle per core.

That's basically the same GPU as the PS4, and you'll be able to overclock it since you're not restricted to a tiny case with poor cooling.

Just because the PS4 has 7GB of VRAM available doesn't mean it can/will use it all for graphics.  8GB RAM + 2GB VRAM should be fine (I agree the OP needs to up the DDR3).

If you don't have a keyboard by now, that's depressing.

Who needs a BD-ROM when all of your games are digital.

Yeah.... the CPU in single thread is better but in multithread not because the CPU listed is a dual-core... he needs at least a quad-core in this case.

It's already proved that GPU on consoles reach close to 100% efficience and in PC is more 50-60% efficience... it is the same power but to match a console you will need a way powerful GPU on PC... PC have a lot of overhead... consoles is close to metal.

Killzone (the only game that we knows for sure how much RAM is using) used 3GB VRAM... he needs to increase both VRAM to 4GB RAM and SystemRAM to at least 6GB RAM (the OS and apps on PC uses close to 2GB)... so the PC will have 4GB VRAM and ~4GB System RAM available to games... with the disadvantage of not being shared.

I don't have keyboard... I have a notebook... I think every desktop PC you need to buy something to control the game lol.

PS4 have BD-ROM... you want a PC to match the PS4... so you need a BD-ROM to do the fair comparison.

I think you are right for the most part, but PCs don't need a BD-ROM, if I wasn't making DVDs for systems updates or repairs for older hardware, my PC wouldn't even have a CD/DVD-Writer at all as USB sticks/Internet are the norm on PCs, Disc hasn't been the way of general distribution for years on PC because we moved on a long time ago. My build with deals and value calculation is much more reasonable a few posts up and it will only get better with time.