Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Activision talks Xbox One price: Microsoft will have to “convince people that the higher price point is worth it”

Gaming Everything

All things considered, the Xbox One’s price is fairly expensive. It will cost $500 – $100 more than the PlayStation 4 (and $150 more than the Wii U’s Deluxe Set).

Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg spoke about the console’s price in an interview with GamesIndustry. Hirshberg believes that the initial win goes to Sony “from a first impression standpoint”, and “Microsoft is going to have to win the hearts and minds and convince people that the higher price point is worth it”.

He said:

“It’s up to them to win the value argument. If you do a focus group of a gazillion people and you show them two prices for two competitive products, 100 percent always prefer the lower price. I think from a first impression standpoint the win goes to Sony, at least as it relates to pricing. Microsoft is going to have to win the hearts and minds and convince people that the higher price point is worth it, and that it provides really meaningful capabilities that will be meaningful to consumers. And it’s a long game, so I am sure that’s what they intend on trying to do.”

Source



Around the Network
Basically, do that kinect marketing magic that we saw in 2010 and you got a winner MS.

___________

Pretend Exclusive: A 3rd party multiplat, that releases for multiple consoles in the same window, in which all press showings and marketing are catered to only one console. Exclusive console bundles, being the lead platform, as well as timed exclusive/exclusive  betas and game content also strengthen the claim. The final effect is that the uninformed gamer will be convinced that the version primarily advertised is the only and/or best place to experience the game.

X1: Titanfall, COD: AW.    PS4: Watch Dogs, Destiny

Xbox E3 Exclusives: Halo MCC, Crackdown 3, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Dance Central Spotlight

sales2099 said:
Basically, do that kinect marketing magic that we saw in 2010 and you got a winner MS.

hole in one.



PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.


Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I think Hirshberg's statement is 100% accurate.

Stating the obvious but he's right

Around the Network
Ok, let me see.
Forza 5, Killer Instinct, free to play Project Spark...
Kinect 2.0(impressive piece of tech)
Best controller in the game
Probably the best media center available

Humm, soooooold...

"Give me 60fps or give me death."

Goatseye said:
Ok, let me see.
Forza 5, Killer Instinct, free to play Project Spark...
Kinect 2.0(impressive piece of tech)
Best controller in the game
Probably the best media center available

Humm, soooooold...

WHoa now, so Project Spark and Killer Instinct are confirmed F2P?



___________

Pretend Exclusive: A 3rd party multiplat, that releases for multiple consoles in the same window, in which all press showings and marketing are catered to only one console. Exclusive console bundles, being the lead platform, as well as timed exclusive/exclusive  betas and game content also strengthen the claim. The final effect is that the uninformed gamer will be convinced that the version primarily advertised is the only and/or best place to experience the game.

X1: Titanfall, COD: AW.    PS4: Watch Dogs, Destiny

Xbox E3 Exclusives: Halo MCC, Crackdown 3, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Dance Central Spotlight

I'll go with PS4 as I never owned an Xbox console, but if they can show something I really like I might consider buying one when the price is lower. Consoles in Argentina are a serious investment... they are VERY expensive :(

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

sales2099 said:
Goatseye said:
Ok, let me see.
Forza 5, Killer Instinct, free to play Project Spark...
Kinect 2.0(impressive piece of tech)
Best controller in the game
Probably the best media center available

Humm, soooooold...

WHoa now, so Project Spark and Killer Instinct are confirmed F2P?

Killer Instinct is a free to play if you just want to play with Jago. You can buy the whole game for $60 or just the characters that you want for an unnanounced price.

And for Project Spark, yes it's freezee and it looks gorgeous, infused with some gamers wet dream: freedom to do whatever.



"Give me 60fps or give me death."

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
sales2099 said:
Goatseye said:
Ok, let me see.
Forza 5, Killer Instinct, free to play Project Spark...
Kinect 2.0(impressive piece of tech)
Best controller in the game
Probably the best media center available

Humm, soooooold...

WHoa now, so Project Spark and Killer Instinct are confirmed F2P?

Killer Instinct is a free to play if you just want to play with Jago. You can buy the whole game for $60 or just the characters that you want for an unnanounced price.

And for Project Spark, yes it's freezee and it looks gorgeous, infused with some gamers wet dream: freedom to do whatever.

Ya, definately keeping an eye on this. Looks like a "grown ups" Little Big Planet



___________

Pretend Exclusive: A 3rd party multiplat, that releases for multiple consoles in the same window, in which all press showings and marketing are catered to only one console. Exclusive console bundles, being the lead platform, as well as timed exclusive/exclusive  betas and game content also strengthen the claim. The final effect is that the uninformed gamer will be convinced that the version primarily advertised is the only and/or best place to experience the game.

X1: Titanfall, COD: AW.    PS4: Watch Dogs, Destiny

Xbox E3 Exclusives: Halo MCC, Crackdown 3, Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Dance Central Spotlight