Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So... How is Microsoft going to ruin the "your family" loophole?

So some Microsoft guy gave an interview in which he hinted people at a possible loophole in the Xbox One license:

While the license seems to clearly distinguish between "your family" and "friends" and gives users from the "your family" group access to some nice features like being able to play your games while you don't, Microsoft would in practice hardly be capable of checking if a certain person is really from your actual family or not. So you could in theory simply declare some random person 3000 miles away as being part of "your family", which would allow him to play your games etc.

Call me paranoid, but I find it very hard to believe that Microsoft wrote "your family" when they actually meant "pretty much anyone". Instead I believe that they were perfectly aware of the possible abuse and have already considered counter-measures to stop people from simply declaring 10 random people as belonging to their family etc.

So let your imagination run wild: How are they going to do it? Where are the catches?



Around the Network
Since nobody anwered yet, here's a few ideas that instantly came to my mind:

1. Make "your family" a transitive relation, similar to how it is in reality: If Y belongs to "family" of X, and Z belongs to "family" of Y, then Z also belongs to "family" of X

2. Let "family members" start your currently unused games without your permission and don't give you the possibility to cancel their gaming. Imagine you bought a new game just yesterday, you're coming home from school, excited to play the great new game - only to realize that some idiot you added to your "family" list took the chance to play your game and just doesn't react to your angry messages that he should instantly stop playing your games. If the guy was really from your family you'd simply call for mom and she'd resolve the issue...

3. Apply some special rules/options for members of the "your family" group that would in practice prevent most people from declaring strangers or even just friends as being "family".

they probably wont do anything about it. with all the bad PR they are getting i doubt they will force even further restrictions. though, your family list of 10 are probably going to stay and wont be changeable. meaning once u set someone as your family, you cant remove him from the list or switch him with somebody who isnt on

JayWood: The Bringer of  (Temporary) Dreams!

They will have to submit to a DNA test administered by the Xbone to prove that they are actually your family.



Well the exec cleary stated he can add a friend so that's confirmed. I think you just won't be able to remove them so you would only consider your best friends. And aren't these family after all?

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
they probably wont do anything about it. with all the bad PR they are getting i doubt they will force even further restrictions.

Well, could indeed be. At least that would explain why Microsoft employees themselves are pointing people to this loophole of declaring random people as "your family" - it definitely helped silencing at least some of the criticism.

bananaking21 said:
though, your family list of 10 are probably going to stay and wont be changeable. meaning once u set someone as your family, you cant remove him from the list or switch him with somebody who isnt on

Interesting idea. Since your relatives usually never stop being part of "your family", that would indeed be another restriction that would be easy to justify.



maximrace said:
Well the exec cleary stated he can add a friend so that's confirmed. I think you just won't be able to remove them so you would only consider your best friends. And aren't these family after all?

In other parts of the license, they're clearly referring to "friends" as "friends", so I guess they did see a difference between "friends" and "your family" when they wrote it...



I believe they already confirmed that only one person can play the game at a time. So there, problem solved. You certainly don't want to give anyone outside your family the right to play your game if it means you won't be able to play it yourself.

badgenome said:

They will have to submit to a DNA test administered by the Xbone to prove that they are actually your family.

Unnecessary - simply look into the Kinect sensor, and PRISM will tell if you and the other person are relatives.



Around the Network
Zkuq said:
I believe they already confirmed that only one person can play the game at a time. So there, problem solved. You certainly don't want to give anyone outside your family the right to play your game if it means you won't be able to play it yourself.

I'd guess that depends on wether or not I can force another user playing my game to stop playing it.

I mean, I think I would be okay with whoever person playing my games as long as I can play them whenever and as soon as I want. If however I really couldn't simply stop a person from the "your family" group from playing my games, meaning I couldn't play necessarily play my own games when I wanted to, that would be probably piss a lot of people off.