Quantcast
Xbox One family sharing works with friends!

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One family sharing works with friends!

LurkerJ said:
Imaginedvl said:
LurkerJ said:
....

I am waiting for more clarifications from MS. A family member doesn't have to be a family member, how does that make any sense? If I really can share my game with ten people that easily then wow, Xbone isn't horrible at ALL, or less horrible than everyone thinks it is.

Where did you get that 10 people from? Right now it is 4 and your statement makes a bit of sense with 10 people (even if I still do not think it will really defeat the purpose of DRM or hurt sales); but the story is different with only 4 members.

"Since its announcement, there has been some confusion over the details of sharing your Xbox One game library with up to ten "family members.""

Am I reading this wrong? I apologize but I haven't read the other 100+ that followed.

Oh I see; so yah it is ten. I missed that actually :)
We have Xbox Gold family at home and it is 4 right now but my daugther (10 months old) will need an account at some point hehe!

So good news !



Around the Network
walsufnir said:
In my opinion this sounds fantastic! Why doesn't MS manage to communicate this appropriately?!

Yah this is a fantastic feature, even better than physical discs... And yet; they are failing to communicate it properly...
Come on MS!



I think one of the nuances will be the definition of a family. Not who is in the family, but I would expect only 1 person can be the head of the family and add people to that. I create a family, add my kids, sister, brothers, close personal friends, etc. I don't think then my kids can add people to their family.



Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

KylieDog said:
Adinnieken said:
KylieDog said:


If it wil not let multiple people play same game at once it would need to be signed-in and always online to check. 

MS is playing with words to try limit damage, you fell for it.

No, I understand how it works.  I'm not fatally misinformed.


Your reply to me says you are.  They cannot check multiple people aren't playing at the same time unless they force that account to be signed in, meaning you need give other people your account details.  Otherwise people could just sign out and play at the same time, since they said this is not possible, always online must be a requirement for the friends/family.

Your reply to me says your reading comprehension is subpar.

I'm going to put this really simply to you...If you can't understand this by the time I'm finshed, I'm done with this conversation. 

On Xbox One, all your content is available in the cloud for access anytime, anywhere -- by you or by anyone you give you access to your gaming library.  When you buy a game via retail on a disc, or if you buy it digitally via Xbox LIVE, it becomes available, instantly, in the cloud.

The only "account detail" necessary is for me to know someone's gamertag, and presumably that gamertag is already a part of my friend's list.  Once I've setup my "Faimly" by adding gamertags from my friends list on Xbox LIVE, then Xbox LIVE knows who I've given access to my games.  I may do this on my console, but Xbox LIVE has all the details.

Yes, anyone who is in my "family" accessing a game in my library, will need to be online and signed in with the gamertag (account) that's in my "family" list.  This is all logical.

They do not need my account information and I do not need their account information.  Their console won't be talking to my console at all, not unless we're Skyping, at which point then yes, you are correct, my console will absolutely, positively, 100% need to be online with me signed into it. 

But as it stands, right now, if I'm not logged in, or some devastating act of nature wipes out my home and console, then anyone who I previously setup in my family list will still be in my family list and they will have access to my content.  
 





KylieDog said:
I'm not giving my account details to friends...

This system sucks as long as I cannot just give a game to a friend, and only the game, and not need do anything else.


It didn't sound like that was needed. MS has a "Family" system in place where you can select who has access. Thats how I understood. No need to share account info



Around the Network
thx1139 said:
I think one of the nuances will be the definition of a family. Not who is in the family, but I would expect only 1 person can be the head of the family and add people to that. I create a family, add my kids, sister, brothers, close personal friends, etc. I don't think then my kids can add people to their family.

I think everyone will be able to setup their own "family".

But just because I give you access to my game, doesn't mean by extension, I've given someone you've defined as a family member access to my game.

It isn't a daisy chain.

Parental controls may permit the parent to limit who can create or access a family, so maybe you don't let your youngest setup a family, but your eldest can.  As it exists with the friends list.  Parents can define whether or not child account can add friends. 



Adinnieken said:
thx1139 said:
I think one of the nuances will be the definition of a family. Not who is in the family, but I would expect only 1 person can be the head of the family and add people to that. I create a family, add my kids, sister, brothers, close personal friends, etc. I don't think then my kids can add people to their family.

I think everyone will be able to setup their own "family".

But just because I give you access to my game, doesn't mean by extension, I've given someone you've defined as a family member access to my game.

It isn't a daisy chain.

Parental controls may permit the parent to limit who can create or access a family, so maybe you don't let your youngest setup a family, but your eldest can.  As it exists with the friends list.  Parents can define whether or not child account can add friends. 

If that is the case then it is an even better feature.  I would be thrilled to have it the way I defined it and ecstatic the way you described it.



Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

 

g911turbo said:

I know the link.  Problem is details are important when you have this many hoops to jump through.  I can share with 10 family.  I can transfer to a friend (who has been on my list for 30 days) once.  Does that guy become the new primary?  Can he then share with his 10 "family" members?  

Without a lot of restrictions, there would be a lot of ways to expliot these features.  And if you read the [not so] fine print, Microsoft can change it at any moment.

"As we move into this new generation of games and entertainment, from time to time, Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services to reflect modifications and improvements to our services, feedback from customers and our business partners or changes in our business priorities and business models or for other reasons.  We may also cease to offer certain services or products for similar reasons."

That "fine print" is in pretty much, if not, every term of service or usage agreement in some way or another. Nothing is going to remain the same indefinitely.

You transfer it to someone else, you are basically giving that person the game. Then you lose all rights to it and so do all your family and friends.



KylieDog said:
I'm not giving my account details to friends...

This system sucks as long as I cannot just give a game to a friend, and only the game, and not need do anything else.


Why would you need to give you account information to your friends? Unless I missed something in the article, gamertags are unique. It should be plauable to just add them based on their gamertag.



Capulous said:
KylieDog said:
I'm not giving my account details to friends...

This system sucks as long as I cannot just give a game to a friend, and only the game, and not need do anything else.


Why would you need to give you account information to your friends? Unless I missed something in the article, gamertags are unique. It should be plauable to just add them based on their gamertag.


Don't you know? In real-life you also have to give friends every info, you know? Well, the post didn't even require a reply from you - it just wasn't worth it.