Quantcast
Killer Instinct announced!

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Killer Instinct announced!

Probably the only Xbox One exclusive I want on PS4.



Around the Network
Nsanity said:


This is much better. Hearing the developers input is very encouranging. I'll be watching this title for sure. The developer in the middle lied when he said KI is an "everyman's" game, because it isn't. There is a barrier of entry if you're playing against an experienced gamer and those combos dont come easy. When I was younger casual arcade gamers would watch in aww as fighting enthusiasts broke the game. There used to be large groups of people huddled behind the players watching their every movie wondering hot they pulled off 80 hit combos.





S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nsanity said:


This is much better. Hearing the developers input is very encouranging. I'll be watching this title for sure. The developer in the middle lied when he said KI is an "everyman's" game, because it isn't. There is a barrier of entry if you're playing against an experienced gamer and those combos dont come easy. When I was younger casual arcade gamers would watch in aww as fighting enthusiasts broke the game. There used to be large groups of people huddled behind the players watching their every movie wondering hot they pulled off 80 hit combos.

Well, yeah, an experienced player vs a new player is going to win in most games but that doesn't mean everyone can't jump in and have fun,

If you look at something like Tekken it's veeeeeeeeery technical and hard to get in to.  With Killer Instinct you may not be able to do the cool ultra combos on purpose, but you can sure mash buttons and feel awesome.  The experienced player who knows what they're doing will likely win, but Killer Instinct was always a game you go play at the arcades or on your console and you'd feel awesome right off the bat.

Also, after watching this video--

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/2boqf5/killer-instinct-e3-2013--double-helix-interview

all I can think of is B-B-B-B-B-Buzzwords

I don't know if I'm getting an Xbox One or PS4 yet, but if I get an Xbox One I'm super excited about this game.



Ken Lobb vs. E3 Attendee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9ZKA-OIrE&feature=youtu.be



Around the Network
twesterm said:

 

If you look at something like Tekken it's veeeeeeeeery technical and hard to get in to.  With Killer Instinct you may not be able to do the cool ultra combos on purpose, but you can sure mash buttons and feel awesome.  The experienced player who knows what they're doing will likely win, but Killer Instinct was always a game you go play at the arcades or on your console and you'd feel awesome right off the bat.

I'd argue almost the exact opposite about Tekken.  Tekken can be a button smashing game which a newb can beat a pro player depending on who they pick.  Example: I haven't really played Tekken since PS1 days.  I went over to a friends house and played against two other decent players that played Tekken Tag 2 PS3 (I believe) a lot recently.  I picked Nina because I mainly played as her back in Tekken 1.  Her kicks and hand slaps are quick as shit.  I was able to beat them a majority of the time (with their best characters).  I eventually started picking Eddie and I believe I won like 4-5 games in a row against these 2 experienced players.  It got to the point where I actually almost wanted to let them win because I felt bad about beating them over and over with Eddie through button smashing (they were eventually able to get a win or two in on me with Eddie).  Most of the time I was just button smashing with Eddie (a lot more smashing than playing with Nina since I remembered a few of her moves). 

Anyways, the best example of a newb not being able to win in a fighting game vs an experienced/pro player would be Super Smash Bros.  You can't really button smash in Smash because you will just be open up for a counter attack or easily avoided through a roll, etc.  You can spam quick smashes a lot (which I had friends do) but that strategy doesn't work that well either.  I could easily destroy any newb in Smash and not have to worry about someone winning through button smashes.  You can't say that about Tekken.



Double Helix games is developing this. With fantastic games like Silent Hill Homecoming, Battleship, Green Lantern, GI Joe, and Front Mission Devolved, this game is going to nothing short of a..... failure. If Killer Instinct was made by a developer who screwed maybe one or two games up but had a long list of amazing titles, then I could see why people would continue praising this game, but this is from a developer who has only, debatably with Silent Hill Homecoming, only released on "okay" game.

I thought it was pretty cool to see. But I'm calling it. This game is going to suck. If it gets high ratings it's because it's a launch title and exclusive. Look at all the crappy games this past launch that received high ratings and they're not very good.

*edit*

I only watched the video during the Xbox conference and watched the video linked in the thread.  Looked pretty awesome.  Maybe this will be Double Helix's first good game. 



kupomogli said:

I only watched the video during the Xbox conference and watched the video linked in the thread.  Looked pretty awesome.  Maybe this will be Double Helix's first good game. 

There is a first time for everything.  I hope they make it a good game considering there are a decent amount of people that enjoyed the first one.  I played it a decent amount in the arcades but I was more into Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.  I saw some pro players playing in an arcade on KI and was amazed at their combos and moves they were pulling off.



kupomogli said:

I only watched the video during the Xbox conference and watched the video linked in the thread.  Looked pretty awesome.  Maybe this will be Double Helix's first good game. 


A shame you couldn't appreciate Homecoming, really.



Wright said:
kupomogli said:

I only watched the video during the Xbox conference and watched the video linked in the thread.  Looked pretty awesome.  Maybe this will be Double Helix's first good game. 


A shame you couldn't appreciate Homecoming, really.

I liked the story, but that's about it.  I only played it once, got the ending where the character was crazy and it was all just a dream.  There was just too much sub par gameplay, and they never made it clear where to go a lot of parts in the game so you were wandering back and forth a lot.  Too much.