Quantcast
Could the Xbox one stream PC games like nvidia shield

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could the Xbox one stream PC games like nvidia shield

I will state this is a stretch but interesting things might be available to the Xbox one.  Today MS released information about Windows 8.1 blue will have native Miracast (basically Airplay).  Miracast uses Wi-Fi Direct which the Xbox one has included.  Now that Windows 8.1 will also have native Miracast, its very possible for MS to stream games from your PC to the X1 like Nvidia's Shield.

 

If anything, MS will be able to stream games from the Xbox one using probably xbox glass to supporting devices that have WiFi Direct.  So with MS TV functionality and Snap feature, you wife can be watching her favorite TV or movie while you on your Tablet/Smartphone could be playing your Xbox one game.  Potentially you probably could also have the Xbox one send its game to your PC screen if you prefer your Dual screen monitors.



Around the Network

Technically it absolutely could. But in reality it absolutely won't.

Why is that?

Because Microsoft doesn't make any money by you buying PC games on Steam and playing it on their Xbox One hardware which they most likely sold to you at a loss so they could get you buying games from them.

Microsoft and Sony want to be the sole game distributors on their own platforms and they don't want to give the user the opportunity to possibly get their games from a different source, such as the PC.

If they do implement something like this, it will only work on specific games bought in the Windows 8 App store or something similar, where Microsoft can control the experience and the profits.

So yeah, cool tech that's easily doable but won't happen if you ask me.



Kind of off topic but...

I do plan to get the Nvidia Shield for the PC streaming part on the go if it works as advertised.

I'd love to see the look on my girlfriends face when I'm playing something and she says "Come to bed"...and I say "Be right there"...and I get in, only to whip out my NVidia shield to continue rocking the same game.

Bam!



disolitude said:
Technically it absolutely could. But in reality it absolutely won't.

Why is that?

Because Microsoft doesn't make any money by you buying PC games on Steam and playing it on their Xbox One hardware which they most likely sold to you at a loss so they could get you buying games from them.

Microsoft and Sony want to be the sole game distributors on their own platforms and they don't want to give the user the opportunity to possibly get their games from a different source, such as the PC.

If they do implement something like this, it will only work on specific games bought in the Windows 8 App store or something similar, where Microsoft can control the experience and the profits.

So yeah, cool tech that's easily doable but won't happen if you ask me.


You forget that MS make money by you buying Windows 8.1.  Anything that get people to buy Windows 8.1 MS will support.  If MS get you to buy Windows 8.1 then they can get you on their Windows Store.  Once they get you on the windows store then they can get you into their eco system.  Also do not forget that MS has their own games for Windows which they would love for you to also use.  Games supporting games for windows having Miracast also benefit MS.



Machiavellian said:
disolitude said:
Technically it absolutely could. But in reality it absolutely won't.

Why is that?

Because Microsoft doesn't make any money by you buying PC games on Steam and playing it on their Xbox One hardware which they most likely sold to you at a loss so they could get you buying games from them.

Microsoft and Sony want to be the sole game distributors on their own platforms and they don't want to give the user the opportunity to possibly get their games from a different source, such as the PC.

If they do implement something like this, it will only work on specific games bought in the Windows 8 App store or something similar, where Microsoft can control the experience and the profits.

So yeah, cool tech that's easily doable but won't happen if you ask me.


You forget that MS make money by you buying Windows 8.1.  Anything that get people to buy Windows 8.1 MS will support.  If MS get you to buy Windows 8.1 then they can get you on their Windows Store.  Once they get you on the windows store then they can get you into their eco system.  Also do not forget that MS has their own games for Windows which they would love for you to also use.  Games supporting games for windows having Miracast also benefit MS.

This sounds very appealing and logical but all I know is that I have a Surface, windows phone and Xbox and in order to play Skulls of the Shogun on all 3 platforms, I have to buy the game 3 times. Only then can I enjoy cross platform play and even play against users on other platforms. 

This is something Microsoft could have totally rubbed in Apples and Googles face (buy 1 game, own on 3 different platforms), however they have no interest in doing that it seems. They really should have offered a discount at least if you want all 3 versions of the same game. 9.99 per game or 19.99 for right to play on all 3 platforms.

Games for Windows brand is dead btw...They have an Xbox Games section in the Windows 8 app store and I can see them doing some synergy with that on the Xbox.



Around the Network

It would be a welcomed feature but it's unlikely.



Neat! It will take a while for it to be in many people's PC. Certainly many new things will be happening in the new One. Just like I don't know if they thought 1080P 5.1 streaming would be coming out of the Xbox 360 when it came out in 05.

I wish they would just give us all the X360 arcade and indie games. DirectX is usually very backwards compatible. Seems like it shouldn't be too challenging.



 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

 

Tell me a funny joke!

"Games for Windows brand is dead btw...They have an Xbox Games section in the Windows 8 app store and I can see them doing some synergy with that on the Xbox."

Depends on how you look at it. I still see new games being released so its not dead. As a means to jump start the service could be this method to stream your games to the new X1.

It should be very interesting to see what functionality MS do include with the Miracast support. MS definitely can tie in their products together to make a tempting proposition for PC gamers. Basically this would be MS steambox. As was rumored, Steambox would be able to stream your PC games to your TV. MS could basically head that off using Windows Blue and the X1. Also as Zappykins has noted, MS would probably be able to stream all of your DirectX PC games to your TV making its Miracast ability a killer App if they go down that route.



Well what if MS tries pushing Games for Windows again?

EDIT: Ah it was mentioned, anyway, this could be their attempt to bring back the concept and create an Xbox Live service based PC regulation environment.



Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Chark said:

Well what if MS tries pushing Games for Windows again?

EDIT: Ah it was mentioned, anyway, this could be their attempt to bring back the concept and create an Xbox Live service based PC regulation environment.


Since Miracast is a feature of Windows blue, there is a chance that MS might allow any service to stream games from the PC or supporting mobile device to the X1. Depending on the minds working at MS, it probably would be better to expand the uptake of Windows blue and X1 by opening up the technology for any service to use then just their own.  By opening it up to everyone, it would increase the chance that other services like GOG, Steam, Origin and other players to make their games stream this way.  It would increase interest for people to get Windows Blue and X1 just for this ability.  Next thing you know, if the service opens up for Emulation then MS would have a killer app.

People who believe MS woudl not allow this have to remember that MS is looking to expand their products.  Sometimes it make sense to keep things only on your service but then there are times when you need to be as open as possible to make your 2 prime products separate themselves from the competition.  Windows 8 needs more consumer traction and X1 needs something to separate it from the PS4.