Quantcast
EA tells Kotaku that it has zero titles in development for the Wii U

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA tells Kotaku that it has zero titles in development for the Wii U

Tagged games:

superchunk said:
Scoobes said:

Isn't this more about the WiiU though? Sales of their WiiU games have been less than spectacular, WiiU sales are incredibly slow and EA in are in a bad way (recently released 10% of their workforce, financially not great). Business-wise they can't afford to invest in WiiU development until sales pick up.

Then where's the 3DS support? Can't argue it is not selling well.

Also EA could just make ports of their annual sport franchises from x360/Ps3 to WiiU. Ubisoft told us that these ports can cost around 1-1.5 mln USD. Then even the sales of 100 000 games on WiiU would bring some profit to EA. Since they not going this way, it seems the reasons are not money but smth else...



Around the Network
Sharu said:

Also EA could just make ports of their annual sport franchises from x360/Ps3 to WiiU. Ubisoft told us that these ports can cost around 1-1.5 mln USD. Then even the sales of 100 000 games on WiiU would bring some profit to EA. Since they not going this way, it seems the reasons are not money but smth else...


I hope its less then 100k to make profits ...

Fifa 13 > 70k
Madden 13 > 30k

Mass Effect 3 > 50k
NFS > 20k

if its really 100k they lost money on every game. But I think they can make money with less sales ...



superchunk said:

Then where's the 3DS support? Can't argue it is not selling well.

But is it selling third party software in the West?  Using VGC numbers, the 3DS has sold 17.2 million pieces of software that weren't published by Nintendo in NA/EU.  For a system that has been out for 26 months, that doesn't really seem like a market worth investing in.

Even when the 3DS was ahead of the DS, its software sales were lower.  Now that the DS has pulled ahead, it isn't even close.  In their second full fiscal years, the DS shipped 149% more software than the 3DS.  A difference of 74 million units.

Between Electronic Arts and EA sports, VGC has 38 million software sales for the PSP and 33 million for the DS.

So considering EA's historical performance on handhelds and the current performance of 3DS software it seems fairly rational to cut 3DS support.  The mobile market is also a factor now.  This past fiscal year EA brought in 339 million in revenue from mobile.  That would be equivalent to selling 8.5 million full priced 3DS games.  Nobody seems able to do that in the west on 3DS other than Nintendo.



Pssh, who wanted to play multiplats anyway right?



DieAppleDie said:
Dodece has been posting the very same anti-nintendo text wall for weeks now, he has basically dedicated all his time in the site going to Nintendoom threads and posting negativity over and over again, like if he had an agenda or something...

he almost can be acused of flaming, trolling and spamming at once lol


How is that any different from the same people going into every EA related thread and posting the very same anti-EA text walls for weeks? 



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Euphoria14 said:

How is that any different from the same people going into every EA related thread and posting the very same anti-EA text walls for weeks? 


http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5350474

First line of second paragraph in Rol's post which is quoted.

Third party publishers are to be treated differently to the big three, apparently.  Although it seems Torillian may not share this view.

What a mess.



Kresnik said:

Euphoria14 said:

 How is that any different from the same people going into every EA related thread and posting the very same anti-EA text walls for weeks? 


http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5350474

First line of second paragraph in Rol's post which is quoted.

Third party publishers are to be treated differently to the big three, apparently.  Although it seems Torillian may not share this view.

What a mess.

I was going to respond to that post but figured it wasn't worth it. I had a big post written and then decided against it. It was outlining how absolutely ridiculous that line of reasoning was.

It is like saying if a 3rd party makes you upset, you have a free pass to come into threads and troll. Meanwhile if Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft make you upset you are shit out of luck because it is the mod teams job to protect the console manufacturers.

That is so backasswards that I don't even know what to say.

 

The teams job should be to ensure that things stay calm and reasonable and to allow all sides of the debate to have their say as long as their points are well thought out and presented. Not to demonize one side while making the other side seem like angels, even though their conduct is one and the same.



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Kresnik said:

Euphoria14 said:

 How is that any different from the same people going into every EA related thread and posting the very same anti-EA text walls for weeks? 


http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5350474

First line of second paragraph in Rol's post which is quoted.

Third party publishers are to be treated differently to the big three, apparently.  Although it seems Torillian may not share this view.

What a mess.

I was going to respond to that post but figured it wasn't worth it. I had a big post written and then decided against it. It was outlining how absolutely ridiculous that line of reasoning was.

It is like saying if a 3rd party makes you upset, you have a free pass to come into threads and troll. Meanwhile if Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft make you upset you are shit out of luck because it is the mod teams job to protect the console manufacturers.

That is so backasswards that I don't even know what to say.

 

The teams job should be to ensure that things stay calm and reasonable and to allow all sides of the debate to have their say as long as their points are well thought out and presented. Not to demonize one side while making the other side seem like angels, even though their conduct is one and the same.

I agree.

Giving the console manufacturers special treatment over third parties is a tacit admission that the mod team are bending to the pressure of the large console fanboy contingent on this site by protecting their favourite companies from insults (that those same console fanboys may use against someone else's favourite third party company without repercussion).

This should not be a mod's job. The remarks should be out of line for all gaming companies, or none of them.

Too bad for the unaware user that sees another user (or even a mod...) trash a third party company, then do the same for a console manufacturer and find themselves banned :/



badgenome said:

I have been convinced for a while now that Dodece is a bot. I almost expect all his posts to start with, "Like Martha said, I was shocked to find out that you can make $4837 a week hating Nintendo at home."

That's too YouTube-ish for this site.

OT: God, what a mess this thread became. I'm glad I didn't blatantly pick one side or the other in my initial post...



Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

superchunk said:
Scoobes said:

Isn't this more about the WiiU though? Sales of their WiiU games have been less than spectacular, WiiU sales are incredibly slow and EA in are in a bad way (recently released 10% of their workforce, financially not great). Business-wise they can't afford to invest in WiiU development until sales pick up.

Then where's the 3DS support? Can't argue it is not selling well.

EA haven't said anything about the Vita yet have they? Until they announce they're not supporting 3DS or the next Fifa/NFS/Sims iteration doesn't appear we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

The other point is that EA seem to be migrating towards mobile and tablets when it comes to the handheld market. EA has reduced output on all dedicated handhelds and instead focussed on the more profitable mobile/tablet sectors where they can micro-transaction the hell out of your hard earned cash.