For anyone who grew up with the GameCube, there's that one game that haunted every gamer who played it: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. It's focus on both supernatural and psychological horror chilled gamers to the bone, along with it's unsettling atmosphere and innovative use of the player's sanity to break the fourth wall and disorient and terrify the player.
It's been years since Eternal Darkness, and fans have been clamoring for more. Well, it looks like the wait may finally be over. Dennis Dyac, one of the lead designers for the game, is working with Precursor Games to create this new chapter in terror.
View the teaser hosted by IGN Here!
- will be crowdfunded
- coming to Wii U and PC in Q3 2014
- this is as long as crowdfunding comes thorugh
- Precursor Games is a company formed after the death of Silicon Knights
- game will be episodic
- current goal is to make a season of 12 playable episodes
- each will focus on at least one playable character
- roughly two-to-four hours of gameplay in each episode
- will bring back the combat, magick, and sanity event mechanics from Eternal Darkness
- funding goal is $1.1 million
- Kickstarter will not be used
- donate to become a member of the “Order of the Unseen”
- get access to the development forums and interact with the team
- other rewards include copies of episodes of the game, posters, Skype calls with a developer, and creating your own sanity effect
- story follows detective Paul Becker as he investigates a brutal massacre in Louisiana that left two cults decimated
- Becker ends up learning of the Eternals
- follows a similar path as Eternal Darknes
- jump between different characters across 2,500 years of history
- regions ranging from the United States and England to Egypt and Hungary
When Detective Paul Becker is called to one of the bloodiest gang massacres in Louisiana state history, only two survivors remain from a brutal conflict between two rival cults. As Becker begins his interrogations of the suspects, their combined recollections will uncover the truth about the ‘Ancients’.
Shadow of the Ancients is a sequel to the critically acclaimed Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Reqiuem. Featuring an ensemble cast of heroes and villains, the game will span over 2500 years of history throughout Egypt, England, Hungary, and the United States. Players will question the perception of reality as they try to balance the mechanics of combat, magick, and sanity events to progress through the adventure.
Shadow of the Ancients will take players on a memorable journey throughout time; weaving historical fact with disturbing fiction to create an experience unlike any other.
How long is each episode?
Each episode will be approximately 2-4 hours of gameplay.
When do you plan to release?
What platforms will Shadow of the Ancients be on?
We will be focusing on the PC and Wii U platforms. Other platforms may be added in the future.
Why no Kickstarter Campaign?
We would love to do a Kickstarter, but currently Kickstarter is only open to companies that are in the US or UK. We hope that we can work with Kickstarter in the future to make this option a reality.
However, by integrating the community into the development of the game, we can centralize our site with our crowdfunding system to manage this properly. Upon pledging on our site, you will be granted a Forum Ribbon to our Official Development Forums, where you can share your ideas and feedback about the creation of the game. It does not matter whether you sign up for the forums before, or after pledging – our database will recognize you.
Shadow of the Ancients will be an episodic series, and to complete the first episode and continue production on future episodes, we need approximately 1.1 million dollars. Any money raised beyond this will contribute to future episodes, additional characters, in-game perks, and additional platforms. The more money that we raise, the more we will deliver based on what our fans want.