Forums - Gaming Discussion - The problem with Nintendo seems to be their conscious choice!

 

To the enthusiast gamer, everything that’s not as powerful as current technology allows is “gimped”. It’s a bit like an auto enthusiast who rails that a mass market consumer minivan is a piece of crap because somewhere in the world, there are Ferraris. It’s true that the minivan is no Ferrari, so the enthusiast has a point – but he’s also missing the point that the minivan’s job is not to be a Ferrari. And in some ways, it’s better… like cargo capacity, fuel efficiency, etc.

It’s hard for me even with this news to see the Wii U’s hardware as “Nintendo cheeps out on j00 suckers”. Because Nintendo’s goal was not to make a $500 console that was way more powerful than PS3 and Xbox 360 plus included an iPad. Again, their self-chosen path and problem is that they deal with the mass market. A $300 console (the base model) sounds like their absolute upper limit for MSRP, to not scare away the authentic mainstream audience. Within that price, their concept for the system included an expensive to develop, and not cheap to produce touch screen / motion sensing interface device.

Nintendo doesn’t seem to have “gimped” on anything within the price range they had to remain within, considering the total components that make up the system. If the Xbox 360 had ha a cheaper CPU, it could have had more ram, for example. But there were specific priorities and they were followed. Wii U was designed with specific priorities and this is what we got.

The joke with the FUD being spread is that you still have ports like Assassin’s Creed 3 at launch, made in a rush, that effectively look and run about like the PS3 version of the same game. If people stopped and thought for a moment, they’d see that clearly, something in Nintendo’s design strategy for the console is working. Otherwise that game would not exist on Wii U and if it did, never with that kind of port parity.

I would add that the most questionable thing in the entire matter in my opinion is Nintendo’s very obvious entreaties to 3rd parties about Wii U being friendly towards them from a development and power standpoint. Obviously, working on the console involves some major strategic shifts and while that doesn’t mean the hardware is bad, it probably does make Nintendo’s official PR line sound like damage control. But then we have all those months and months of some 3rd parties saying the hardware is great, some griping it sucks, etc etc. Opinions, woohah!

 

http://societyandreligion.com/wii-par-ps3-xbox-360-ps4-xbox-720/



Around the Network
Nintendo on its own must realize that they will always be screwed by 3rd parties and instead start marketing more of their smaller 1st parties that isn't Mario and start expanding the crap out.



http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:
Nintendo on its own must realize that they will always be screwed by 3rd parties and instead start marketing more of their smaller 1st parties that isn't Mario and start expanding the crap out.


agree with you, though i don't think expanding is the right desicion. I more like to see cooperations like ShinMegamiTensei X FireEmblem, and Platinum Games. 

They need to expand their own teams so they can finish the games fasters. In my opinion. 



cbarroso09 said:
Otakumegane said:
Nintendo on its own must realize that they will always be screwed by 3rd parties and instead start marketing more of their smaller 1st parties that isn't Mario and start expanding the crap out.


agree with you, though i don't think expanding is the right desicion. I more like to see cooperations like ShinMegamiTensei X FireEmblem, and Platinum Games. 

They need to expand their own teams so they can finish the games fasters. In my opinion. 

More people does not immediately make the process faster. It would certainly help, but what's really needed is a smarter planning strategy. Less experimentation.



New Smash, New Mains

Korrasami is canon, bitches. Get hype!

Really...you guys need to start blaming Nintendo and not third parties. Third parties are giving Nintendo games for now but once this gen is over Nintendo well be left out to dry. Nintendo does their own thing and expects third party to follow suit and that is just arrogance.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Really...you guys need to start blaming Nintendo and not third parties. Third parties are giving Nintendo games for now but once this gen is over Nintendo well be left out to dry. Nintendo does their own thing and expects third party to follow suit and that is just arrogance.


We are blaming Nintendo. 



http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Really...you guys need to start blaming Nintendo and not third parties. Third parties are giving Nintendo games for now but once this gen is over Nintendo well be left out to dry. Nintendo does their own thing and expects third party to follow suit and that is just arrogance.


what companies are setting the rules for the 8th gen? it is not Nintnedo, Sony nor Microsoft, the big arrogant publishers and engine developers are. Those companies don't care about the big three, if they loose money selling their overpowerful consoles (assuming Nintendo does). They just want to make mowny no matter what, but when Nintendo put a stop on it saying: "hey that is not good for our only game bussiness" then Nintendo is arrogant. 

No way, i don't agree with you on that. 



Mr Khan said:
cbarroso09 said:
Otakumegane said:
Nintendo on its own must realize that they will always be screwed by 3rd parties and instead start marketing more of their smaller 1st parties that isn't Mario and start expanding the crap out.


agree with you, though i don't think expanding is the right desicion. I more like to see cooperations like ShinMegamiTensei X FireEmblem, and Platinum Games. 

They need to expand their own teams so they can finish the games fasters. In my opinion. 

More people does not immediately make the process faster. It would certainly help, but what's really needed is a smarter planning strategy. Less experimentation.

What do you mean by that?

If anything they need some of that in 2D Mario.



http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Their approach to indies is a step in the right direction. Hopefully games start to roll soon.

Official Hyrule Warriors Thread

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=183444&page=1

Bet With Tbone - I win if SSB for 3DS will be less than 200k first week in Japan

Around the Network
The whole Ferrari argument will work if Sony does indeed release the PS4 at a $500 price tag, in which case it may be another disastrous launch like the PS3. I'm going to give Sony the benefit of the doubt and say they learned from their mistake. So I'm imagining they might sell the PS4 at $400. If that is the case and we are looking at it from purely a hardware perspective and nothing else, then it doesn't make sense for a consumer to go out and buy a Wii U over the PS4 with only a $50-100 price tag difference when you can get a console that is significantly more powerful than the other.

But of course that is a very truncated version of the whole story. No one buys a console simply to boast about how powerful it is. Really the final point is the games and the support each machine will get in terms of games and other services will decide how well they sell at the end. In that sense Nintendo has a chance, but 3rd party games does not look to be fully on their side as of yet whether or not the Wii U can handle it, and after the PS4/720 releases, it may only get worse. Time will tell.