Quantcast
Overall, Sony Brought the Heat and Delivered

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overall, Sony Brought the Heat and Delivered

Sony really delivered:

1. Sleep mode
2. share/recording functions
3. great looking games



Around the Network

Just watched the stream then and thought it was great. The PS4 is a powerhouse that has been built for the devs its clear this gen Sony is about the games they have picked up on the mistakes of the past and have built a machine that looks like its going 2 be easy 2 program heeelllllooooo epic 3rd party support! Destiny looks amazing and so does Killzone! The icing on the cake for me was Blizzard......................BLIZZZZZZAAAARRRRDDDDD! Diablo F%$king 3!!!!!!!!! I cant believe Blizzard and Sony have teamed up! I have wanted this for YEARS!!!! Its a great time 2 be a gamer regardless of what machine your gaming on! I cant wait 2 see whats in store for E3 and pax.



 

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

If you like the PS3 there is absolutely no reason for you not to like the PS4 and everything it will bring.

I personally wasn't impressed at all, but Watch Dogs looks fucking incredible.



fauzman said:
richardhutnik said:
enditall727 said:
richardhutnik said:
I they they delivered really good today, but I see a blanding of the future. I am wondering exactly what Microsoft is going to deliver different. It looks like both consoles are going to become more twins than less this coming generation, with the WiiU again being the underpowered oddball. I am expecting both Microsoft and Sony to come out at the $500 price point, and possibly see really sluggish sales in this economy. Look for Sony to go the XBox Live route and charge for online play also, even if the features one up with Microsoft is doing. I seriously doubt Sony offers streaming play online for free.

seems like this is more of what you want to happen

What price point do you think Sony is going to end up releasing the PS4 at?  MAYBE they go $400 if pressured by Microsoft.  You think $400?  Even the Wii U is selling at a loss and the higher end system, with like 4x less the Ram, is $350.  The going to 8 GB of memory, and what they are picking for it, makes it more expensive.

The design approach is very much like a PC, and following the trends laid down, and is what you saw with the XBox with integrated memory.

As for the charging for online, you see Sony is now doing Playstation Plus, and they do want to charge for it.  There has been buzz about Sony wanting to charge and planning to charge for its online service.  What I saw today does look like something they would charge for.  They probably throw in Playstation Plus for free, if that would make you happy.

What I write is not my wishing, but what I see in front of me and what has been discussed.  Will see in the coming months what they do.  They didn't mention that the online feature would be free to use either.  They discussed investing in it.  They are discussing value proposition here, not cheap.

Here is one article that talks about Playstation World:

http://www.psu.com/a018371/PlayStation-World-may-replace-PS-Plus-and-PSN-for-PlayStation-4

Maybe they do keep online play separate, but I see that hard pressed to do so, if they are integrating what they plan, into the experience, which is like you see with the likes of OnLive, watching people play and so on.

I disagree with most of what you said. I think they will be very carefull not to overprice their console especially as MS Im sure will try to underprice. I dont see them going above $400 regardless of the cost of the console similarly to how they willingly took a hit with the Vita in order to make it more competitive. I also dont see them charging for online play - they have made a name for themselves in offering free MP compared with the Xbox. I dont see them doing away with it especially as it could give them an advantage with this next gen (assuming there are no differences between the ps4 and xbox720).

How much red ink do you want Sony to bleed here?  That is the issue with the $400 price point.  And when I said $500, I am speaker the gamer's system, that is really what would be.  They could have a scaled down version hitting $400.  And I say this excluding what Microsoft does.

In regards for "a name for themselves for free online play", I discount that with the rolling out of Playstation PLus.  Do you think Sony doesn't want to get extra coin from offering online features?  Considering what they are offering, why would you be surprised if they charge for it?  They are seeking to do it better, with everything you get in PS+.  I would expect, for the annual subscription fee (look for it to be less than what XBox Live is), look for them to also include access to the entire PS1, PS2, and PS3 library with the subscription, via streaming the way Gakkai (however it is spelled) is done.  It is moving up the value chain, adding more, pricing it cheaper, and getting the ongoing revenue.  Considering how much you see the Playstation fan camp talking about how much of a value Playstation Plus is, beefing it up even further is going to be spun as an even larger bargin.  And Sony will likely have a case to argue it.

Pretty much, if Sony was really opposed to charging people additional fees on top of what they have now (purchasing the system and content) they would not of rolled out Playstaion Plus.



The consencus seems to be a "meh".

Seriously though if they just showed the console itself the attitude would be totally different. People just want something tangible. Its symbolic and shows they have at least something final and ready.



___________

Older and wiser. Still bias and proud though ;)

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
The consencus seems to be a "meh".

Seriously though if they just showed the console itself the attitude would be totally different. People just want something tangible. Its symbolic and shows they have at least something final and ready.

Meh regarding the console or the presentation?  I don't see meh regarding the console, which the next Microsoft console is likely going to be very close to also, and pretty much outclasses the Wii U.  I see concerns over the price point on it, more than anything else.  And they showed the controller.  Exactly what does showing the device you put the disk into gain you?  This is the announcement presentation, and laid down the basics.  It is now stay tuned for the details.



richardhutnik said:
sales2099 said:
The consencus seems to be a "meh".

Seriously though if they just showed the console itself the attitude would be totally different. People just want something tangible. Its symbolic and shows they have at least something final and ready.

Meh regarding the console or the presentation?  I don't see meh regarding the console, which the next Microsoft console is likely going to be very close to also, and pretty much outclasses the Wii U.  I see concerns over the price point on it, more than anything else.  And they showed the controller.  Exactly what does showing the device you put the disk into gain you?  This is the announcement presentation, and laid down the basics.  It is now stay tuned for the details.

Presentation I meant.

Rest, I quote kotaku:

"Not having the console at the event doesn't matter. When you get right down to it, the most important things are the games and the experiences the PS4 will offer. But yet, it does matter. It matters very much.

This is a console reveal. You need to show the console. It's a psychological thing: We need to see the box that will power the games and experiences the PS4 offers. Otherwise, the PS4 will feel incredibly abstract. It won't feel real.

Worse yet, it makes it feel like there was no payoff to the PS4 reveal. No, here's the new controller, here are the new cool games, and finally, here is the machine that will make it all happen. Bam, bam, bam. We're one bam too short, and that's unsatisfying. The entire evening never built to a climax. It just ended, sorely missing that one last bam."

In the end, it woudl have tied it all together, and the fans would have preferred to see it, you gotta admit.



___________

Older and wiser. Still bias and proud though ;)

sales2099 said:
richardhutnik said:
sales2099 said:
The consencus seems to be a "meh".

Seriously though if they just showed the console itself the attitude would be totally different. People just want something tangible. Its symbolic and shows they have at least something final and ready.

Meh regarding the console or the presentation?  I don't see meh regarding the console, which the next Microsoft console is likely going to be very close to also, and pretty much outclasses the Wii U.  I see concerns over the price point on it, more than anything else.  And they showed the controller.  Exactly what does showing the device you put the disk into gain you?  This is the announcement presentation, and laid down the basics.  It is now stay tuned for the details.

Presentation I meant.

Rest, I quote kotaku:

"Not having the console at the event doesn't matter. When you get right down to it, the most important things are the games and the experiences the PS4 will offer. But yet, it does matter. It matters very much.

This is a console reveal. You need to show the console. It's a psychological thing: We need to see the box that will power the games and experiences the PS4 offers. Otherwise, the PS4 will feel incredibly abstract. It won't feel real.

Worse yet, it makes it feel like there was no payoff to the PS4 reveal. No, here's the new controller, here are the new cool games, and finally, here is the machine that will make it all happen. Bam, bam, bam. We're one bam too short, and that's unsatisfying. The entire evening never built to a climax. It just ended, sorely missing that one last bam."

In the end, it woudl have tied it all together, and the fans would have preferred to see it, you gotta admit.

if you do the total reveal now, including release date, price point and so on, you have no way to generate future buzz.  Microsoft comes in and steals all the thunder.  If Microsoft did a reveal early, then Sony could do one now.  As of now, there is fodder to talk about.  This is a campaign, not a one shot, so you do enough out there to keep the conversation going, which is what they did.  The LEAST interesting part is the look of the console.



Boutros said:
Need to see more Japanese games.

A man after my own heart--until then I'm pretty ambivalent.



richardhutnik said:
sales2099 said:
richardhutnik said:
sales2099 said:
The consencus seems to be a "meh".

Seriously though if they just showed the console itself the attitude would be totally different. People just want something tangible. Its symbolic and shows they have at least something final and ready.

Meh regarding the console or the presentation?  I don't see meh regarding the console, which the next Microsoft console is likely going to be very close to also, and pretty much outclasses the Wii U.  I see concerns over the price point on it, more than anything else.  And they showed the controller.  Exactly what does showing the device you put the disk into gain you?  This is the announcement presentation, and laid down the basics.  It is now stay tuned for the details.

Presentation I meant.

Rest, I quote kotaku:

"Not having the console at the event doesn't matter. When you get right down to it, the most important things are the games and the experiences the PS4 will offer. But yet, it does matter. It matters very much.

This is a console reveal. You need to show the console. It's a psychological thing: We need to see the box that will power the games and experiences the PS4 offers. Otherwise, the PS4 will feel incredibly abstract. It won't feel real.

Worse yet, it makes it feel like there was no payoff to the PS4 reveal. No, here's the new controller, here are the new cool games, and finally, here is the machine that will make it all happen. Bam, bam, bam. We're one bam too short, and that's unsatisfying. The entire evening never built to a climax. It just ended, sorely missing that one last bam."

In the end, it woudl have tied it all together, and the fans would have preferred to see it, you gotta admit.

if you do the total reveal now, including release date, price point and so on, you have no way to generate future buzz.  Microsoft comes in and steals all the thunder.  If Microsoft did a reveal early, then Sony could do one now.  As of now, there is fodder to talk about.  This is a campaign, not a one shot, so you do enough out there to keep the conversation going, which is what they did.  The LEAST interesting part is the look of the console.

I didnt say anything about price and release date, just show something tangible. Sorry but the general sentiments that this presentation was "meh" is largely due to no tangible console at a console reveal. Im just reporting what im seeing.



___________

Older and wiser. Still bias and proud though ;)