Quantcast
How can Nintendo gamers even talk about other system failing?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How can Nintendo gamers even talk about other system failing?

Can we talk about a reality, sure. What's your point? Wii U is in the shitter to, we can talk about that as well if you like.



Around the Network

I'm a Nintendo fan but I bash criticize every console that sells poorly. When the 3DS was unveiled I said it wouldn't sell and criticized for their mistakes. When the Vita sold horrible I pointed out how bad sales were, put them into perspective and called those out who said sales were alright. I'm doing the same now with the Wii U.

From my experience fans of any console will always defend it no matter how horribly it sells. People saying the Vita (and to some extend the Wii U) just need more time are just kidding themselves - both consoles are selling below Gamecube level. There's only so much a price cut can do (you can actually roughly calculate the effect of a price cut --> sales elasticity) and it's really hard to dig yourself out of a sales hole.

Edit: I used the word "bashing" wrong lol



Nintendo shouldn't lower the price yet, that's something they can do just before the ps4 comes out ;)



 

The Wii's victory was empty. The WIi U Nintendos "Redemption Song" but they might have bit off a bit more than they can chew going after the avid gamer crowd while having the competition they've got.



UncleScrooge said:

From my experience fans of any console will always defend it no matter how horribly it sells. People saying the Vita (and to some extend the Wii U) just need more time are just kidding themselves - both consoles are selling below Gamecube level.

The WiiU isn't selling below GameCube level at all, where do you get this crap from? Also, it seems silly to bash every console selling poorly, but I guess some people like being silly...



Around the Network
Chrizum said:
UncleScrooge said:

From my experience fans of any console will always defend it no matter how horribly it sells. People saying the Vita (and to some extend the Wii U) just need more time are just kidding themselves - both consoles are selling below Gamecube level.

The WiiU isn't selling below GameCube level at all, where do you get this crap from? Also, it seems silly to bash every console selling poorly, but I guess some people like being silly...

It's the truth. the Gamecube sold 5m units a year for the first few years on the market. The Vita sold, what, 3.5m in 2012? And the Wii U's weekly sales are below the Vita's sales pace right now (I know the launch itself was stronger but current sales are below Gamecube level - this site once had a weekly sales graph for 6th gen consoles and the Gamecube did like 50k a week in normal weeks. Your account is from 2007 so you probably knew about that tool). I don't expect the Wii U to end up at 5m units this year, btw. But current sales are really that bad. Also, I guess "bashing" was the wrong word lol. I like being realistic. When people say it's all flowers and fairies I want to go against that notion. The Wii U, Vita and 3DS are all selling way below expectations right now. Totally silly behaviour, I know... 



S.T.A.G.E. said:
The Wii's victory was empty. The WIi U Nintendos "Redemption Song" but they might have bit off a bit more than they can chew going after the avid gamer crowd while having the competition they've got.


i don't think it was empty stage,100m consoles is very very good and i'm sure the nintendo crowd enjoyed the victory nicely :)



                                                                                                                                        Above & Beyond

   

Player1x3 said:
TakeMeToTheHospital said:

The Wii is one of the best selling consoles of all time.  It only sold better than 1 PS console

The 3DS is selling better than the DS up to this point in it's life and the DS is the best selling console of all time.  Wrong. PS2 is still the king

The Wii U is selling better than the PS3 and 360 so far. Not if you include PS3's european launch

What are you talking about? The WiiU is doing very poorly 

 

Also the Wii U will do awesome once the games come rolling out. I'm a grade 3/4 primary school teacher and almost everyone of my students wants a Wii U.



1. You do know what "one of" means, right? Perhaps you should avail yourself of TakeMeToTheHospital's teaching services. :P

And no, the fact that it is around the same amount of sales as PS1 means nothing - there's precisely one console that noticeably outsold it, the PS2. At best, there's one more that is just a touch ahead, and the Wii is still selling. This makes it one of the best-selling consoles of all time. There's simply no disputing that fact, no matter how much you might want to jump up and down and scream "but PS1".

2. PS2 shipped more, maybe. That doesn't mean it sold more. Even if it had, though, he didn't say the system with the largest number of sales, he said best-selling. The DS sold better than the PS2 did, as demonstrated by the fact that, after 8 years, the PS2 had sold, at best, 130 million units, whereas the DS, having been out for just over 8 years, is now over 153 million. And the PS2 has stopped production, while the DS continues to sell.

3. The European launch was outside of the launch window for the system itself. That meant that all of the launch window titles were theoretically available on day 1 in Europe. It's a very different situation. But lets look at the numbers, anyway. Global numbers, that is.

Six calendar months PS3 sales, November 2006-April 2007 (includes European launch in March): 3.24 million

Incomplete three calendar months Wii U sales: 2.47 million

Do you really think that, across February, March, and April, the Wii U won't sell 800,000 units? Even with Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate, Lego City Undercover, Rayman Legends, and Injustice: Gods Among Us releasing in that time in the West, and Dragon Quest X in Japan?

Oh, but you want to complain that this is an unfair comparison, perhaps? OK, let's just compare the two regions for which we can all agree it's a fair comparison - US and Japan. The Wii U has been out (data available - to 19th of January) for 9 weeks in the US and 7 weeks in Japan. So lets get the numbers for each system across those two regions for those numbers of weeks:

Wii U:  989,000 US + 740,000 Jap = 1,729,000

PS3: 775,000 US, 398,000 Jap = 1,173,000

Why not include Europe? Because Sony was too slow in releasing in Europe - they had bragged about how they could do a better worldwide launch than MS (who hit Japan, America, and Europe, but failed to hit some of the minor regions, like here in Australia)... and then did worse. I'm sorry, but PS3 launch occurred in November 2006, you don't get to arbitrarily say "well, we only count regional release dates", because that's not how the market works - Europe doesn't exist in a vacuum. To make the point, PS3 sold 3.4 million units in the first 8 weeks after launch in Europe. By the same date, Wii (which launched in Europe around the same time as Japan and America, and around the same time as PS3 launch in those two regions) had sold 7.3 million units, and the PS3 was already the worst-selling console by week compared with all of the other gen 7 systems.

The only other way to fairly compare sales is across an entire year, because mid-year is different from end-of-year. Since we don't have an entire year's worth of sales to compare, that's going to have to wait.

At the end of the day, no matter how you cut it, Wii U in 2012 and early 2013 is doing significantly better than PS3 in 2006 and early 2007. If you want to do a comparison that includes European numbers, then wait until March or April, when the comparison will be a fair one across the systems. If you don't consider that to be fair enough, then wait until the Wii U has been out a year in each region, and compare 1-year sales numbers by region.

Or do you disagree with the assertion that releasing in one region 4 months late affects the sales numbers?



UncleScrooge said:
It's the truth. the Gamecube sold 5m units a year for the first few years on the market. The Vita sold, what, 3.5m in 2012? And the Wii U's weekly sales are below the Vita's sales pace right now (I know the launch itself was stronger but current sales are below Gamecube level - this site once had a weekly sales graph for 6th gen consoles and the Gamecube did like 50k a week in normal weeks. Your account is from 2007 so you probably knew about that tool). I don't expect the Wii U to end up at 5m units this year, btw. But current sales are really that bad. Also, I guess "bashing" was the wrong word lol. I like being realistic. When people say it's all flowers and fairies I want to go against that notion. The Wii U, Vita and 3DS are all selling way below expectations right now. Totally silly behaviour, I know...

The GC sold 5 million a year for the first few years. The Wii U has sold half that amount in two months. I really don't see how your argument makes any sense.



TakeMeToTheHospital said:

you sound a little butt hurt that Nintendo is going to have the best selling console of all time in the next couple of months.

 

Also the Wii U launched with about only 3-4 next gen games. It's doing pretty damn good I say

He's not butt hurt because it isn't going to happen