Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The 3DS is one of the main reasons WiiU isnt selling so good

now before everybody goes and says im crazy just listen to what i got to say first, WiiU sales started out great but after a while they fell pretty quickly, even now its starting to get close to vita numbers (ouch) and one of the main reasons for that is the 3DS! yes the 3DS!

a video game console whether handheld or home console is bought for one main reason, the experience. and what created that is experience? the games!! now when we are just at the launch of the WiiU nintendo fans are the ones who are expected to be the early adaptors, but ask yourself, why buy a WiiU when you can buy a 3DS? lets look at the games, the main selling point of the WiiU is SMBU, but the 3DS just got a 2D mario months ago! the second biggest game the WiiU has? nintendoland, which is a good game but i think nintendo fans prefer super mario land and mario kart over it any day. what else does the WiiU have? ZombieU, from what i heard a good game but it isnt the kind of games nintendo fans usually like a buy, so why would they buy a console for it?

 

now lets look at the upcoming releases, WiiU has pikmin and bayonetta 2. while 3DS has luigi's mansion, pokemon and monster hunter. the 3DS is just a more attractive purchase when it comes to future releases as well. the first bayonetta game wasnt even released on the wii, why would nintendo fans care for it really?

 

now the question is, why buy a WiiU when you can buy the 3DS, have the same experiences and a lot more games for about half the price?

btw im not here to discuss the sales of the WiiU or attack it. im here because i really think that the 3DS is taking away sales from the WiiU and i think the same problem is happening with the vita but backwords, why buy a vita when you can buy a ps3? but thats another topic



 The One and Only

VizionEck

Around the Network
Wii U will have software by 2nd Semester. Its to bad that Ninty hasn't shown any of the games their working on. E3 is too far away to show all games. Only First party games coming soon are Pikmin 3 which is good but wont push wii u like other titles, and Game+Wario!

3DS has a great line up with probably 2-4 more great games not revealed yet! 3DS will dominate this year hands down. Wii U needs the games and a price drop for Europe in the summer

Which is exactly why there will not ever be a console Pokemon people, stop fooling yourselves. Nintendo has it stuck to handhelds for a reason, to sell them.



 Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I think you've touched on some truth here.

But I think it's more about the Wii U's lack of what people want than what the 3DS has. I think people buy handhelds for very different reasons than home consoles. So I don't think people are walking into stores look at both and choosing a 3DS over Wii U. I think people are doing what I'm doing. Waiting for the Wii U to get the good stuff. I want a 3D Mario, full Zelda, Metroid Prime, and/or Mario Kart on the Wii U before I'm dropping serious cash on it. I have a 3DS XL and for it I have a 3D Mario, Zelda OoT and Mario Kart. That makes waiting even easier, but I assure you when the Wii U has what I want I'll jump on that train.

I waited for Halo 3 before getting an Xbox 360. I waited for Zelda SS before buying a Wii. I have more games than I can play right now so I will wait for the Wii U to get what I want.

kain_kusanagi said:
I think you've touched on some truth here.

But I think it's more about the Wii U's lack of what people want than what the 3DS has. I think people buy handhelds for very different reasons than home consoles. So I don't think people are walking into stores look at both and choosing a 3DS over Wii U. I think people are doing what I'm doing. Waiting for the Wii U to get the good stuff. I want a 3D Mario, full Zelda, Metroid Prime, and/or Mario Kart on the Wii U before I'm dropping serious cash on it. I have a 3DS XL and for it I have a 3D Mario, Zelda OoT and Mario Kart. That makes waiting even easier, but I assure you when the Wii U has what I want I'll jump on that train.

I waited for Halo 3 before getting an Xbox 360. I waited for Zelda SS before buying a Wii. I have more games than I can play right now so I will wait for the Wii U to get what I want.


true, people dont want into stores look at both and chose a 3DS or WiiU. but what you said further illustrates my point. you wait for a game to buy the console, but why buy the console for SMBU when you already just got a 2D mario on your 3DS? i dont believe the WiiU will have any trouble selling once nintendo puts its big games on it, but as of now they are going to have a hard time if they keep up releasing the same type of games on both systems



 The One and Only

VizionEck

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I think you've touched on some truth here.

But I think it's more about the Wii U's lack of what people want than what the 3DS has. I think people buy handhelds for very different reasons than home consoles. So I don't think people are walking into stores look at both and choosing a 3DS over Wii U. I think people are doing what I'm doing. Waiting for the Wii U to get the good stuff. I want a 3D Mario, full Zelda, Metroid Prime, and/or Mario Kart on the Wii U before I'm dropping serious cash on it. I have a 3DS XL and for it I have a 3D Mario, Zelda OoT and Mario Kart. That makes waiting even easier, but I assure you when the Wii U has what I want I'll jump on that train.

I waited for Halo 3 before getting an Xbox 360. I waited for Zelda SS before buying a Wii. I have more games than I can play right now so I will wait for the Wii U to get what I want.


true, people dont want into stores look at both and chose a 3DS or WiiU. but what you said further illustrates my point. you wait for a game to buy the console, but why buy the console for SMBU when you already just got a 2D mario on your 3DS? i dont believe the WiiU will have any trouble selling once nintendo puts its big games on it, but as of now they are going to have a hard time if they keep up releasing the same type of games on both systems

Gap between DS 2D mario to Wii 2D mario- 3 years. Both 2D marios on WiiU and 3DS released on 2012.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3D mario is impacted slightly as well. Zelda can minimize its dmg though if they'd release a 2.5D top down Zelda.



 Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:
bananaking21 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I think you've touched on some truth here.

But I think it's more about the Wii U's lack of what people want than what the 3DS has. I think people buy handhelds for very different reasons than home consoles. So I don't think people are walking into stores look at both and choosing a 3DS over Wii U. I think people are doing what I'm doing. Waiting for the Wii U to get the good stuff. I want a 3D Mario, full Zelda, Metroid Prime, and/or Mario Kart on the Wii U before I'm dropping serious cash on it. I have a 3DS XL and for it I have a 3D Mario, Zelda OoT and Mario Kart. That makes waiting even easier, but I assure you when the Wii U has what I want I'll jump on that train.

I waited for Halo 3 before getting an Xbox 360. I waited for Zelda SS before buying a Wii. I have more games than I can play right now so I will wait for the Wii U to get what I want.


true, people dont want into stores look at both and chose a 3DS or WiiU. but what you said further illustrates my point. you wait for a game to buy the console, but why buy the console for SMBU when you already just got a 2D mario on your 3DS? i dont believe the WiiU will have any trouble selling once nintendo puts its big games on it, but as of now they are going to have a hard time if they keep up releasing the same type of games on both systems

Gap between DS 2D mario to Wii 2D mario- 3 years. Both 2D marios on WiiU and 3DS released on 2012.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3D mario is impacted slightly as well. Zelda can minimize its dmg though if they'd release a 2.5D top down Zelda.

well if they release a 3D mario this year they are risking saturating the market with mario games. but if they release it 2014 i dont think it would be a problem since the 3D mario game released in 2011, nintendo fans would be really eager for a 3D mario by then. why would they release a 2.5D zelda on the WiiU? hasnt evey zelda game been full 3D on consoles since zelda OoT?



 The One and Only

VizionEck

bananaking21 said:
Otakumegane said:
bananaking21 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I think you've touched on some truth here.

But I think it's more about the Wii U's lack of what people want than what the 3DS has. I think people buy handhelds for very different reasons than home consoles. So I don't think people are walking into stores look at both and choosing a 3DS over Wii U. I think people are doing what I'm doing. Waiting for the Wii U to get the good stuff. I want a 3D Mario, full Zelda, Metroid Prime, and/or Mario Kart on the Wii U before I'm dropping serious cash on it. I have a 3DS XL and for it I have a 3D Mario, Zelda OoT and Mario Kart. That makes waiting even easier, but I assure you when the Wii U has what I want I'll jump on that train.

I waited for Halo 3 before getting an Xbox 360. I waited for Zelda SS before buying a Wii. I have more games than I can play right now so I will wait for the Wii U to get what I want.


true, people dont want into stores look at both and chose a 3DS or WiiU. but what you said further illustrates my point. you wait for a game to buy the console, but why buy the console for SMBU when you already just got a 2D mario on your 3DS? i dont believe the WiiU will have any trouble selling once nintendo puts its big games on it, but as of now they are going to have a hard time if they keep up releasing the same type of games on both systems

Gap between DS 2D mario to Wii 2D mario- 3 years. Both 2D marios on WiiU and 3DS released on 2012.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3D mario is impacted slightly as well. Zelda can minimize its dmg though if they'd release a 2.5D top down Zelda.

well if they release a 3D mario this year they are risking saturating the market with mario games. but if they release it 2014 i dont think it would be a problem since the 3D mario game released in 2011, nintendo fans would be really eager for a 3D mario by then. why would they release a 2.5D zelda on the WiiU? hasnt evey zelda game been full 3D on consoles since zelda OoT?

I mean that the market might be oversaturated with 3D zeldas now if Ninty isn't careful and also I meant on the 3DS like the olden days. Imagine how well a 2.5D New Legend of Zelda might sell. (Not like an original game but like New super mario bros.)



 Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Yup, as always it comes down to the games.


The 3DS has:

- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario Kart 7
- New Super Mario Bros. 2
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star
- Mario Tennis Open
- Kingdom Hearts 3D
- Lots of fucking games that I can't remember


The Wii U has:

- New Super Mario Bros U
- Nintendo Land
- Zombie U
- Some games that are available on other systems


It's a clear case. The Wii U is screwed for the time being. Not to mention that the other HD consoles and the much cheaper Wii console are competing with it as well.



Around the Network
I still think releasing two 2D Marios so close to one another was a mistake.
NSMB U is a great game but overall, to the average consumer it doesn`t seem that different from the 3DS version.

The problem with Wii U`s HW and SW sales should be based on who`s actually buying the console. And to me it`s those who already own a PS3/Xbox 360 - even if they also are Wii owners.
To those buyers, you exclude the ports and what titles does Wii U offer them? NintendoLand, Mario, ZombiU, Scribblenauts and the eshop titles - whom actually are pretty much all at the top of the chart at the eshop.
Scribblenauts has sold almost the same as BO2 and it`s only sold in the States, whereas BO2 is sold worldwide.

Look at Wii`s launch and you will see that it had a good number of good Wii only titles: Wii Sports, Wii Play, WarioWare, Trauma Center, Excite Truck, Zelda, Super Monkey Ball.

Wii U´s real situation will only become clearer once games (original and ports) start coming out in a good number. Ports, specifically, at the same time as the other versions.