Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zen Studios: Wii U eShop is an "Amazing Development for Nintendo"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/zen_studios_wii_u_eshop_is_an_amazing_development_for_nintendo

"The doors are wide open for other small studios"



Best known for its pinball titles — though it has dabbled in other genres — Zen Studios earned a starring role in the final Nintendo Direct broadcasts of last year when Zen Pinball 2 was announced for the Wii U eShop. Initially expected in December, it's been pushed back from that original target due to its setup as a free download with extensive DLC — the free app will give access to demos of tables, with packs and individual content sold separately.

It'll be the first game setup of its kind on a Nintendo system, which explains why more time is required to get the infrastructure in place. While the delay and wait for other new games on the Wii U eShop continues, however, the studio has positive things to say about the platform. Speaking to us in an interview to be published later today, the company's VP of Marketing & Public Relations, Mel Kirk, described the support from Nintendo when porting the game to the system, and picked up on the message from various other developers that the Wii U eShop is a service open to smaller studios.

    We have experienced the same challenges that are presented on any new platform or device. Nintendo’s support has been excellent, we really could not have asked for more support from them. Overall, it has been an extremely positive experience and I think the doors are wide open for other small studios to bring games to the Wii U. This is an amazing development for Nintendo; huge, positive changes have been made since the days of WiiWare.

The positive comparisons against WiiWare, thankfully, keep coming. Check back later today for the full interview where we discuss the performance of the Zen Studio's pinball titles on 3DS, while learning more about the upcoming Wii U release.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

First we have some praise from Trine 2 developer ( http://www.shacknews.com/article/76721/trine-2-dev-lauds-nintendos-approach-to-wii-u-indies ) and now this.  Looks like Nintendo is doing a good job at courting the indie/smaller developers.  At least they will deliver unlike some major 3rd party companies.



Around the Network
Unfortunately, Nintendo is gonna release something like Pushmo again, promote it a lot, and let it sit confortably at #1 and then the rest of them indie devs rage.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Otakumegane said:
Unfortunately, Nintendo is gonna release something like Pushmo again, promote it a lot, and let it sit confortably at #1 and then the rest of them indie devs rage.

The top 2 best selling games on the Wii U eshop come from indie games that have nothing to do with Nintendo. I don't see why the indie devs should rage.



Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Otakumegane said:
Unfortunately, Nintendo is gonna release something like Pushmo again, promote it a lot, and let it sit confortably at #1 and then the rest of them indie devs rage.

The top 2 best selling games on the Wii U eshop come from indie games that have nothing to do with Nintendo. I don't see why the indie devs should rage.

Trine 2 and such are not indie games.  Neither in Zen Pinall 2.



________________________________________________________________

KylieDog said:
osed125 said:
Otakumegane said:
Unfortunately, Nintendo is gonna release something like Pushmo again, promote it a lot, and let it sit confortably at #1 and then the rest of them indie devs rage.

The top 2 best selling games on the Wii U eshop come from indie games that have nothing to do with Nintendo. I don't see why the indie devs should rage.

Trine 2 and such are not indie games.  Neither in Zen Pinall 2.

If Trine 2 is not an indie then what is? Quote taken from Wikipedia: " According to Frozenbyte's sales and marketing manager Mikael Haveri, Nintendo's initial approach and close contact with their company helped support the process of releasing the game for Wii U, and subsequently made it Frozenbyte's first self-published title without the interference of Altus, the game's publisher for other platforms." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trine_2

Being self published makes it an indie game.



Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
Nintendo's online store is actually pretty good. However, it has arrived a tad late and won't make a massive impact like Live Marketplace, for instance. Kudos to Nintendo for finally taking online seriously though.

End of 2014 hardware sales:

Wii U: 10 million. PS4: 15.5 million. One: 11 million. 3DS: 53 million. PSVita: 9.6 million.

osed125 said:
KylieDog said:
osed125 said:
Otakumegane said:
Unfortunately, Nintendo is gonna release something like Pushmo again, promote it a lot, and let it sit confortably at #1 and then the rest of them indie devs rage.

The top 2 best selling games on the Wii U eshop come from indie games that have nothing to do with Nintendo. I don't see why the indie devs should rage.

Trine 2 and such are not indie games.  Neither in Zen Pinall 2.

If Trine 2 is not an indie then what is? Quote taken from Wikipedia: " According to Frozenbyte's sales and marketing manager Mikael Haveri, Nintendo's initial approach and close contact with their company helped support the process of releasing the game for Wii U, and subsequently made it Frozenbyte's first self-published title without the interference of Altus, the game's publisher for other platforms." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trine_2

Being self published makes it an indie game.

I guess games like Skyrim are indie games too using that logic...




________________________________________________________________

i like the policy choices nintendo is making with regards to empowering developers on their e-shop. i hope sony follows suit because the smaller studio games on vita are amazing, i'd like more of those please.

Goal Post Chartz             

KylieDog said:
osed125 said:
KylieDog said:
osed125 said:
Otakumegane said:
Unfortunately, Nintendo is gonna release something like Pushmo again, promote it a lot, and let it sit confortably at #1 and then the rest of them indie devs rage.

The top 2 best selling games on the Wii U eshop come from indie games that have nothing to do with Nintendo. I don't see why the indie devs should rage.

Trine 2 and such are not indie games.  Neither in Zen Pinall 2.

If Trine 2 is not an indie then what is? Quote taken from Wikipedia: " According to Frozenbyte's sales and marketing manager Mikael Haveri, Nintendo's initial approach and close contact with their company helped support the process of releasing the game for Wii U, and subsequently made it Frozenbyte's first self-published title without the interference of Altus, the game's publisher for other platforms." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trine_2

Being self published makes it an indie game.

I guess games like Skyrim are indie games too using that logic...


Then what is an indie game? 



Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
KylieDog said:
osed125 said:

If Trine 2 is not an indie then what is? Quote taken from Wikipedia: " According to Frozenbyte's sales and marketing manager Mikael Haveri, Nintendo's initial approach and close contact with their company helped support the process of releasing the game for Wii U, and subsequently made it Frozenbyte's first self-published title without the interference of Altus, the game's publisher for other platforms." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trine_2

Being self published makes it an indie game.

I guess games like Skyrim are indie games too using that logic...

Then what is an indie game?

Given that you use wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_game

"Indie games are developed by individuals, small teams, or small independent companies. And, typically, indie games are smaller than mainstream titles. Indie game developers are generally not financially backed by publishers and usually have little to no budget available."



 

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on:

+Console : Wii U, Xbox360

+PC: i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz, HD5850 1Gb

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm more a single player gamer.