Quantcast
PS3 Outsells 360 Every Year except '06 & '08

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 Outsells 360 Every Year except '06 & '08

KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
360 also out shipped in 2010 and 2011 I believe.

But through it all, 360 managed to remain 2nd for 7 years. PS3 is scratching and clawing to become a shadow of its brands former glory.

Bottom line, you guys are lowering the bar for yourselves.

Sure it took the PS3 a while to get to second place but...he who laughs last, laughs best.



classic.



Around the Network
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:

By the time the 360 stops selling the PS3 will already have attained second place. 

Just so we know.

Edit - This also will prove that PS3 will have a longer life cycle than the 360. You see, Sony actually supports their older hardware and thanks their consumers. Microsoft on the other hand just wants to take the cash and runs as fast as they can.

again, just so we know.

And we will be too busy not caring, while actually caring about the next Xbox beating the PS4.

Just so you know.

EDIT. That last sentence is just ignorant.....360 is 7 years old with a couple years left in it. This aint like the origional Xbox lifespan.

Who knows if we will stop caring? Heck I believe the PS3 will outsell the 360 before next gen consoles are even launched but we can't predict the future so who knows. Also I don't think Microsoft will continue to support the 360 because of their history with supporting consoles after the gen has ended. Hey, I know it's not much history to go by but I actually bring up a good point while you just "hope" they will continue to support it. Again, none of us know what the future holds

See now your assuming off of simply knowing MS axed support for the Xbox that they will do the same with the 360 when you don't even know the reasons behind not supporting the Xbox when the 360 released. I really don't understand how so many people ignore the fact that the Xbox was a complete black hole money pit due to a bad deal (and excessive costs for the 20GB harddrive) and they act like MS quit making/supporting the Xbox just because they didn't feel like it anymore. The 360 on the other hand is massively profitable and will be selling at a much higher rate when the next Xbox comes out then the original Xbox was selling when the 360 came out.

Businesses (unless badly run...which MS is not) have common sense. And common sense dictates that a company will support a profitable product until A) it isn't profitable, or B) it's selling so little that it's not worth the effort to create that product anymore.

Another thing to consider is MS has a LOT of room to cut prices later down the road to further drive sales.

 

OT: I was under the impression that the PS3 had outsold the 360 every single year it's been out (or maybe I'm thinking of the aligned launch  comparison).



yo_john117 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:

By the time the 360 stops selling the PS3 will already have attained second place. 

Just so we know.

Edit - This also will prove that PS3 will have a longer life cycle than the 360. You see, Sony actually supports their older hardware and thanks their consumers. Microsoft on the other hand just wants to take the cash and runs as fast as they can.

again, just so we know.

And we will be too busy not caring, while actually caring about the next Xbox beating the PS4.

Just so you know.

EDIT. That last sentence is just ignorant.....360 is 7 years old with a couple years left in it. This aint like the origional Xbox lifespan.

Who knows if we will stop caring? Heck I believe the PS3 will outsell the 360 before next gen consoles are even launched but we can't predict the future so who knows. Also I don't think Microsoft will continue to support the 360 because of their history with supporting consoles after the gen has ended. Hey, I know it's not much history to go by but I actually bring up a good point while you just "hope" they will continue to support it. Again, none of us know what the future holds

See now your assuming off of simply knowing MS axed support for the Xbox that they will do the same with the 360 when you don't even know the reasons behind not supporting the Xbox when the 360 released. I really don't understand how so many people ignore the fact that the Xbox was a complete black hole money pit due to a bad deal (and excessive costs for the 20GB harddrive) and they act like MS quit making/supporting the Xbox just because they didn't feel like it anymore. The 360 on the other hand is massively profitable and will be selling at a much higher rate when the next Xbox comes out then the original Xbox was selling when the 360 came out.

Businesses (unless badly run...which MS is not) have common sense. And common sense dictates that a company will support a profitable product until A) it isn't profitable, or B) it's selling so little that it's not worth the effort to create that product anymore.

Another thing to consider is MS has a LOT of room to cut prices later down the road to further drive sales.

 

OT: I was under the impression that the PS3 had outsold the 360 every single year it's been out (or maybe I'm thinking of the aligned launch  comparison).

I'm basing my points from what Microsoft has done in the post and I noted that it's not a very good example which you have clearly not read correctly. He is basing his points on "hoping" that Microsoft will continue to support the 360. Both of us don't know what Microsoft will do, you just support him because he is a fellow Xbox 360 user and that's fine. 



KingofRome said:
yo_john117 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:

By the time the 360 stops selling the PS3 will already have attained second place. 

Just so we know.

Edit - This also will prove that PS3 will have a longer life cycle than the 360. You see, Sony actually supports their older hardware and thanks their consumers. Microsoft on the other hand just wants to take the cash and runs as fast as they can.

again, just so we know.

And we will be too busy not caring, while actually caring about the next Xbox beating the PS4.

Just so you know.

EDIT. That last sentence is just ignorant.....360 is 7 years old with a couple years left in it. This aint like the origional Xbox lifespan.

Who knows if we will stop caring? Heck I believe the PS3 will outsell the 360 before next gen consoles are even launched but we can't predict the future so who knows. Also I don't think Microsoft will continue to support the 360 because of their history with supporting consoles after the gen has ended. Hey, I know it's not much history to go by but I actually bring up a good point while you just "hope" they will continue to support it. Again, none of us know what the future holds

See now your assuming off of simply knowing MS axed support for the Xbox that they will do the same with the 360 when you don't even know the reasons behind not supporting the Xbox when the 360 released. I really don't understand how so many people ignore the fact that the Xbox was a complete black hole money pit due to a bad deal (and excessive costs for the 20GB harddrive) and they act like MS quit making/supporting the Xbox just because they didn't feel like it anymore. The 360 on the other hand is massively profitable and will be selling at a much higher rate when the next Xbox comes out then the original Xbox was selling when the 360 came out.

Businesses (unless badly run...which MS is not) have common sense. And common sense dictates that a company will support a profitable product until A) it isn't profitable, or B) it's selling so little that it's not worth the effort to create that product anymore.

Another thing to consider is MS has a LOT of room to cut prices later down the road to further drive sales.

 

OT: I was under the impression that the PS3 had outsold the 360 every single year it's been out (or maybe I'm thinking of the aligned launch  comparison).

I'm basing my points from what Microsoft has done in the post and I noted that it's not a very good example which you have clearly not read correctly. He is basing his points on "hoping" that Microsoft will continue to support the 360. Both of us don't know what Microsoft will do, you just support him because he is a fellow Xbox 360 user and that's fine. 

So you don't actually think the 360 will be discontinued right around when the Next Xbox comes out?



xbox was best selling 2011


http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/03/xbox-360-leads-global-2011-sales.aspx



Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
KingofRome said:
yo_john117 said:
KingofRome said:
sales2099 said:
KingofRome said:

By the time the 360 stops selling the PS3 will already have attained second place. 

Just so we know.

Edit - This also will prove that PS3 will have a longer life cycle than the 360. You see, Sony actually supports their older hardware and thanks their consumers. Microsoft on the other hand just wants to take the cash and runs as fast as they can.

again, just so we know.

And we will be too busy not caring, while actually caring about the next Xbox beating the PS4.

Just so you know.

EDIT. That last sentence is just ignorant.....360 is 7 years old with a couple years left in it. This aint like the origional Xbox lifespan.

Who knows if we will stop caring? Heck I believe the PS3 will outsell the 360 before next gen consoles are even launched but we can't predict the future so who knows. Also I don't think Microsoft will continue to support the 360 because of their history with supporting consoles after the gen has ended. Hey, I know it's not much history to go by but I actually bring up a good point while you just "hope" they will continue to support it. Again, none of us know what the future holds

See now your assuming off of simply knowing MS axed support for the Xbox that they will do the same with the 360 when you don't even know the reasons behind not supporting the Xbox when the 360 released. I really don't understand how so many people ignore the fact that the Xbox was a complete black hole money pit due to a bad deal (and excessive costs for the 20GB harddrive) and they act like MS quit making/supporting the Xbox just because they didn't feel like it anymore. The 360 on the other hand is massively profitable and will be selling at a much higher rate when the next Xbox comes out then the original Xbox was selling when the 360 came out.

Businesses (unless badly run...which MS is not) have common sense. And common sense dictates that a company will support a profitable product until A) it isn't profitable, or B) it's selling so little that it's not worth the effort to create that product anymore.

Another thing to consider is MS has a LOT of room to cut prices later down the road to further drive sales.

 

OT: I was under the impression that the PS3 had outsold the 360 every single year it's been out (or maybe I'm thinking of the aligned launch  comparison).

I'm basing my points from what Microsoft has done in the post and I noted that it's not a very good example which you have clearly not read correctly. He is basing his points on "hoping" that Microsoft will continue to support the 360. Both of us don't know what Microsoft will do, you just support him because he is a fellow Xbox 360 user and that's fine. 

So you don't actually think the 360 will be discontinued right around when the Next Xbox comes out?

By discontinued do you mean they will stop selling it? If that's what you mean then no. What I'm saying is Microsoft will stop supporting the console in terms of content. When the PS2 gen ended Sony still released big games even though the PS3 was out (God of War II for example). I don't think Microsoft will focus on putting out content on the 360 when they have a next gen console out whereas Sony has continually said that they strive for a 10 year life cycle with the PS3 in terms of supporting it with content and games. Again, this is just me assuming what Microsoft will do which is what everyone else is doing.



To whoever started this thread, keep it coming!
Seriously, I lol at these threads. It doesn't matter if more PS3s were sold in this and that year.
Xbox is still leading.

The true winners of this generation are Nintendo and Microsoft. Compare the market shares of each company from last gen to this and you'll notice why Sony is declining.



KingofRome said:
yo_john117 said:
KingofRome said:

See now your assuming off of simply knowing MS axed support for the Xbox that they will do the same with the 360 when you don't even know the reasons behind not supporting the Xbox when the 360 released. I really don't understand how so many people ignore the fact that the Xbox was a complete black hole money pit due to a bad deal (and excessive costs for the 20GB harddrive) and they act like MS quit making/supporting the Xbox just because they didn't feel like it anymore. The 360 on the other hand is massively profitable and will be selling at a much higher rate when the next Xbox comes out then the original Xbox was selling when the 360 came out.

Businesses (unless badly run...which MS is not) have common sense. And common sense dictates that a company will support a profitable product until A) it isn't profitable, or B) it's selling so little that it's not worth the effort to create that product anymore.

Another thing to consider is MS has a LOT of room to cut prices later down the road to further drive sales.

 

OT: I was under the impression that the PS3 had outsold the 360 every single year it's been out (or maybe I'm thinking of the aligned launch  comparison).

I'm basing my points from what Microsoft has done in the post and I noted that it's not a very good example which you have clearly not read correctly. He is basing his points on "hoping" that Microsoft will continue to support the 360. Both of us don't know what Microsoft will do, you just support him because he is a fellow Xbox 360 user and that's fine. 

So you don't actually think the 360 will be discontinued right around when the Next Xbox comes out?

By discontinued do you mean they will stop selling it? If that's what you mean then no. What I'm saying is Microsoft will stop supporting the console in terms of content. When the PS2 gen ended Sony still released big games even though the PS3 was out (God of War II for example). I don't think Microsoft will focus on putting out content on the 360 when they have a next gen console out whereas Sony has continually said that they strive for a 10 year life cycle with the PS3 in terms of supporting it with content and games. Again, this is just me assuming what Microsoft will do which is what everyone else is doing.

Ah ok. I think they will still support it but to a much lesser degree than before. Although I will say that a lot of arcade launch titles for the 720 will probably also release for the 360 so it will probably end up getting a surprising amount of support through that avenue. However retail support from MS will dwindle (but not go away completely). 3rd party support will still be strong for at least a year or two though.



iFlow said:
To whoever started this thread, keep it coming!
Seriously, I lol at these threads. It doesn't matter if more PS3s were sold in this and that year.
Xbox is still leading.

The true winners of this generation are Nintendo and Microsoft. Compare the market shares of each company from last gen to this and you'll notice why Sony is declining.

And why doesn't it matter if more PS3's were sold this and that year? It shows peoples demand for the PS3 is GREATER than the 360 DESPITE it coming out 1 YEAR LATER than the 360.

Any 360 fanboy on here *cough*sales2099 for example*cough* is just trying to cover their eyes from the truth, it doesn't matter if the PS3 overtook the 360 in the beggining or the end of this Gen, fact is it WILL, but idiotic fanboys like to pretend that "it doesn't matter" and that "the new Xbox will be out soon so who cares".

PS3 will be 2nd, 360 will be 3rd, stick that up your arse 360 fanboys.



GameAnalyser said:
JayWood2010 said:
GameAnalyser said:
JayWood2010 said:
KingofRome said:
So what happened in 2008? Did Microsoft decide to release 3 exclusives that year instead of the usual 2 or 1?


They have roughly about the same amount of exclusives and Im surprised people didnt already know that PS3 has been outselling the X360. 

If you guys dont know why PS3 gets a lot of flack it's because it isn't dominating like last gen.  X360 has won America with no problems and has gained marketshare in europe.  Things has gotten better in Japan for them but still pretty horrific. 

Now with all that said who has made the most money between PS3 and X360?  sony has shown that they lack control like they did last gen while losing a lot of money.  XBOX and Nintendo has both became big competitors so I believe this is more of a win for X360 and Wii than it is for PS3.  I still dont get why you guys want to make a fan competition out of this when on all fronts PS3 has not been near as successful as PS2.  It has lost in software, profits, and marketshare but this war beteen most consoles that is only bragging rights are not effecting MSFT or Nintendo.  They have been successful this generation regardless of what kind of fan war is being made.

The same would be said if Apple closed this big of a gap while windows sold less than the previous windows.  It isn't hard to figure out guys.

Gained marketshare in Europe - Agreed. Things gotten better in Japan? - No. It still struggles and the nextbox needs to do even better to lift the impending drag it would face in that market. The fact that PS3 has performed well across all regions where Europe has been the biggest performer and the fact that it outsold 360 every year since 2009 is also a clear indicator of who actually won. You are using sales figures, profits(confined to region) and just improved marketshare as elements of console's success. This is the reason why MS strategy never worked  in their favor outside US. And the fact that PS3 has outsold 360 in Europe and Japan ages ago is something MS needs to carry over , understand its significance to become the clear winner of next generation. Ofcourse PS3 didn't perform like PS2, but it's on par with PS1. It lost a fair amount of exclusives and marketshare from MS this generation. But it was never poised to fail like how Gamecube and original Xbox failed.

So you think a console that is still relatively new on the market going from 25m to proba around 80m consoles is a loss?  No that is a strategic win.  XBL, Kinect, XBLA, software has all been a success as well.  PS3 goes from 150m to most likely aroun 95m is a success while theyve lost a ton of money through the years?  As I said before people and Im going to include you are looking at this from a fan war rather than a business perspective.  Microsoft disrupted the console market and Sony has lost marketshare.  That cant be argued at all.  for a company to come into the console market like this and take down a console giant is all you can do.  

sit generations side by side and see who has gained and who has lost market.  Sony can no longer be considered the same dominating company they once were.

Companies and businesses care about profits which means gaining marketshare.  Anybody who loses 120 million consoles in marketshare will not be happy with those results. 120 million more consoles were sold from previous generatons to rival companies is where that number is coming from btw.

So you feel it's all just about profits for MS, no matter what consumers might be left with. This is how Nintendo learnt their lesson and still remains cautious despite being veterans in the vg industry.  And the word "fan war" to remark the comment implys where this is coming from. The comment was intended to have only a reasonable argument as to why PS3 is all but failure.


I'm not going to keep repeating myself.  To be simple instead of writing a big post I'll sum it up.  Sony has lost a lot of marketshare.  Xbox and Nintendo has gained a lot of marketshare.  Sony has lost money.  Xbox and nintendo has earned a lot of money. Fanwars do not equal success.

That about sums up everything I said......Twice.