Lately there’s been a lot of negativity surrounding the Final Fantasy series so instead of focusing on why I was disappointed in the latest outings, I decided to focus of the positive and build myself the ideal Final Fantasy game by combining things I loved from the previous entries in the series. So here is what I’ve come up with:
- The cast would feature around 10 playable characters. I’d also like for characters to drop in and out of your party like they did in Final Fantasy IV. It would keep me on my toes, never knowing if one of the characters might die or disappear to come back later (like Rydia in FFIV).
- The story could split up and follow characters as they progress in different locations like in Final Fantasy IX.
- Each character would have his speciality/class like Final Fantasy IV or at least start with abilities that fit with their character and in the end game they could learn stuff from other classes (like with Final Fantasy X’s sphere grid).
- The main villain would be memorable (like Kefka or Sephiroth) but there would be other villains of lesser importance (like the Turks and the members of Shirna in Final Fantasy VII)
- Towns, the world map and vehicles (controllable airship!) would make a return. I want to be able to barge in people’s homes and raid their closets for 10 gil or a potion!
- The game would use an active time battle and would feature a way to easily switch between your available characters in battle like in Final Fantasy X allowing me to level up the whole group without having the reform my party. Otherwise, I always end up with underleveled characters (I remember my unused members finishing the game at level 15 in Final Fantasy VIII)
- I would be in control of the whole party. Not just the leader, everyone dammit!
- There would be a maximum of 4 characters in a party not 3.
- Equipment would be expanded, no more of that only a weapon and 1 or 2 accessories bullshit. I want to manage the helm, armor, gloves, weapon, shield, accessories (the relic system from Final Fantasy VI would be good)
- The game would feature a fun mini-game (like Triple Triad in Final Fantasy VIII) and tons of end-game sidequests (like in Final Fantasy VII) some requiring you to level up your characters near the maximum capacity (like the Monster Arena in Final Fantasy X).
- The difficulty level would be upped a few notches.
- Summons would return and the blue mage would not suck.
That’s all I can think of for now, so what do you think? Would you play my Final Fantasy game? What would your ideal Final Fantasy game be like?
Signature goes here!