For this discussion I'd like to only talk about the USA, given that I'm fairly certain Christmas is a bigger deal here than anywhere else. Also this is just for Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo dominates everywhere at all times so they don't count. Lol.
Anyway, why does Microsoft and the Xbox 360 always dominate the Ps3 for the holidays? The Ps3 outsold the 360 every week of this year (minus a couple if I'm not mistaken) but once it get close to the holidays the 360 sales shoot right up. Why?
In my opinion I think it's for two reason.
1. Microsoft adveritses the 360 much more so than the Ps3 in the Usa. Also I think the advertisments cater to the casual audience expotentially more than Sony's do.
2. The image in general for the 360 leans heavily on Kinect, especially more so for the holidays. While hardcore/older gamers don't care much for Kinect, I'm sure it appeals a lot for the younger audience. In comparison, how many kids/teens do you know that want the PsMove for Christmas?
Also worth noting that Black Ops 2 on 360 is selling at pretty much a 2:1 ratio compared to the Ps3 version in the US. And Halo 4 is selling great as usual.
But that's just for this year. Ps3 has a pretty weak exclusive line-up this holiday when compared to the dominating 2011 exclusive list. Yet even then the 360 outsold the Ps3 very easily and every year before that as well.
In conclusion, I just think the 360 is more of a visually appealing gift for Christmas. Microsoft knows how to handle holidays, I'll give them that. When you can start directly competing with Nintendo, you know you're marketing your products correctly.
According to posts I've seen though, the Ps360 gap has tightened up this holiday including this week: 360 - 806k vs Ps3 - 770k. Europe is keeping the Ps3 close when when the 360 completley dominates the Ps3 in the USA.
Just something I've noticed. Thoughts?
- Ps3 slim 1 tb (1,000gb) Seagate 2.5 inch SATA
- PsVITA 32gb 3g/Wifi
- PS3: Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, Grand Theft Auto 5, Ni No Kuni, Shadow of the Colossus
- Vita: Uncharted GA, Sine Mora, Hotline Miami
On the Horizon: Not getting Ps4 in 2013 due to the Ps3/Vita providing me with more entertainment currently than I expected :D