Quantcast
New (depressing) FF-XIII: Lightning Returns news

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New (depressing) FF-XIII: Lightning Returns news

Fusioncode said:
pokoko said:
bananaking21 said:
so could somebody explain to me whats happening with final fantasy? wasnt final fantasy one HUGE and people used to LOVE it? im not a fan or anything but i only hear people complaining and criticizing when it comes to final fantasy now days. whats up with square and why is all this happening? could somebody explain it to me?

The general public is never satisfied with Final Fantasy.  It's a situation where people will complain no matter what.  I remember a few years ago when all everyone talked about was how stale JRPGs had become, how everything was the same.  Then XIII changed some of the old formulas, some of which I thought was for the better, but it was met with anger that they'd dared to try something different.  It's really kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I remember a huge, long list someone made about all the differences XIII had compared to traditional RPGs.  There was this massive out-pouring of rage, even though I thought a  lot of the new elements were positive things.

The only thing Square can do and not be greeted with mass whining is to rehash VII over and over. The series will always be judged by what it's not, at this point; "it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, and, OMG, the weapons and armor can be bought at the SAME PLACE -cuts wrist-".  Most people won't judge the Final Fantasy games separately, they just want to compare and moan about how things are not exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, FF XIII did some things wrong, but it was a good game.  Had it been published without the "Final Fantasy" part, you would never have heard most of the complaints and the reception would have been much more positive.  That's because only the people who wanted to play THIS particular game would have bought it, not the people who just want FF7 re-skinned.

I have to disagree with you there, 13 was nothing but a rehash. The same exact characters we've already seen, and the same basic plotline. A group of teenagers team to stop an evil corporation using mysterious superpowers. Lightning is just another Cloud, Vanille is another Rikku, Sazh is a stereotypical black guy obsessed wth a chicken, Hope is another Tidus, Snow is another Zell, ano so on. The only things FF13 did different was simplify the combat and make the game extremely linear. This is why I'm anxiously awaiting Versus 13, because it looks like the first true evolution of the series since FF9. 

FF IX, an evolution? As much as I like FF IX, being on my top 3 in the series, to call it evolutionary is laughable at best.

FF XII was evolutionary, no matter if you enjoyed it or not.



  • PSN: Hynad
  • NN: 3519-6016-4122
  • XBL: Hynad
  • Steam: Hynad81
Around the Network
Soleron said:
That quote doesn't sound bad? Could you explain what the hidden meaning is?

I don't know your preferences, but only one playable character, no experience points, dumbed down combat and a time limit for the story mode don't sound too good for me, especially not in a Final Fantasy.



I don't mind much of these knew changes actually. Sounds refreshing but I will say that making Lighting the one playable person in the game (as in no party members) is a stupid fucking idea. I love RPGs with multiple party members, which is why I enjoyed FFXIII and why i decided to give FFXIII-2 a try, which surprisingly is pretty good.

I really hope they add some party members, only MMORPGs should be single party RPGs.



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

KHlover said:
Soleron said:
That quote doesn't sound bad? Could you explain what the hidden meaning is?

I don't know your preferences, but only one playable character, no experience points, dumbed down combat and a time limit for the story mode don't sound too good for me, especially not in a Final Fantasy.

I haven't played FF so I don't know what's normal. Thanks for explaining.



Soleron said:
KHlover said:
Soleron said:
That quote doesn't sound bad? Could you explain what the hidden meaning is?

I don't know your preferences, but only one playable character, no experience points, dumbed down combat and a time limit for the story mode don't sound too good for me, especially not in a Final Fantasy.

I haven't played FF so I don't know what's normal. Thanks for explaining.

You're welcome^^



Around the Network
Hynad said:
Fusioncode said:
pokoko said:
bananaking21 said:
so could somebody explain to me whats happening with final fantasy? wasnt final fantasy one HUGE and people used to LOVE it? im not a fan or anything but i only hear people complaining and criticizing when it comes to final fantasy now days. whats up with square and why is all this happening? could somebody explain it to me?

The general public is never satisfied with Final Fantasy.  It's a situation where people will complain no matter what.  I remember a few years ago when all everyone talked about was how stale JRPGs had become, how everything was the same.  Then XIII changed some of the old formulas, some of which I thought was for the better, but it was met with anger that they'd dared to try something different.  It's really kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I remember a huge, long list someone made about all the differences XIII had compared to traditional RPGs.  There was this massive out-pouring of rage, even though I thought a  lot of the new elements were positive things.

The only thing Square can do and not be greeted with mass whining is to rehash VII over and over. The series will always be judged by what it's not, at this point; "it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, and, OMG, the weapons and armor can be bought at the SAME PLACE -cuts wrist-".  Most people won't judge the Final Fantasy games separately, they just want to compare and moan about how things are not exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, FF XIII did some things wrong, but it was a good game.  Had it been published without the "Final Fantasy" part, you would never have heard most of the complaints and the reception would have been much more positive.  That's because only the people who wanted to play THIS particular game would have bought it, not the people who just want FF7 re-skinned.

I have to disagree with you there, 13 was nothing but a rehash. The same exact characters we've already seen, and the same basic plotline. A group of teenagers team to stop an evil corporation using mysterious superpowers. Lightning is just another Cloud, Vanille is another Rikku, Sazh is a stereotypical black guy obsessed wth a chicken, Hope is another Tidus, Snow is another Zell, ano so on. The only things FF13 did different was simplify the combat and make the game extremely linear. This is why I'm anxiously awaiting Versus 13, because it looks like the first true evolution of the series since FF9. 

FF IX, an evolution? As much as I like FF IX, being on my top 3 in the series, to call it evolutionary is laughable at best.

FF XII was evolutionary, no matter if you enjoyed it or not.

Well I guess FF9 was more of a callback to the classic games, but after two games with a fairly futuristic artstyle, I would consider it an evolution. FF12 was a big change in the series, but the same basic plot and character structure remained intact. Except now it was a single player MMO, probably my least favorite game in the series. 



Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
Hynad said:
Fusioncode said:
pokoko said:
bananaking21 said:
so could somebody explain to me whats happening with final fantasy? wasnt final fantasy one HUGE and people used to LOVE it? im not a fan or anything but i only hear people complaining and criticizing when it comes to final fantasy now days. whats up with square and why is all this happening? could somebody explain it to me?

The general public is never satisfied with Final Fantasy.  It's a situation where people will complain no matter what.  I remember a few years ago when all everyone talked about was how stale JRPGs had become, how everything was the same.  Then XIII changed some of the old formulas, some of which I thought was for the better, but it was met with anger that they'd dared to try something different.  It's really kind of funny and sad at the same time.

I remember a huge, long list someone made about all the differences XIII had compared to traditional RPGs.  There was this massive out-pouring of rage, even though I thought a  lot of the new elements were positive things.

The only thing Square can do and not be greeted with mass whining is to rehash VII over and over. The series will always be judged by what it's not, at this point; "it doesn't have this, it doesn't have that, and, OMG, the weapons and armor can be bought at the SAME PLACE -cuts wrist-".  Most people won't judge the Final Fantasy games separately, they just want to compare and moan about how things are not exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, FF XIII did some things wrong, but it was a good game.  Had it been published without the "Final Fantasy" part, you would never have heard most of the complaints and the reception would have been much more positive.  That's because only the people who wanted to play THIS particular game would have bought it, not the people who just want FF7 re-skinned.

I have to disagree with you there, 13 was nothing but a rehash. The same exact characters we've already seen, and the same basic plotline. A group of teenagers team to stop an evil corporation using mysterious superpowers. Lightning is just another Cloud, Vanille is another Rikku, Sazh is a stereotypical black guy obsessed wth a chicken, Hope is another Tidus, Snow is another Zell, ano so on. The only things FF13 did different was simplify the combat and make the game extremely linear. This is why I'm anxiously awaiting Versus 13, because it looks like the first true evolution of the series since FF9. 

FF IX, an evolution? As much as I like FF IX, being on my top 3 in the series, to call it evolutionary is laughable at best.

FF XII was evolutionary, no matter if you enjoyed it or not.

Well I guess FF9 was more of a callback to the classic games, but after two games with a fairly futuristic artstyle, I would consider it an evolution. FF12 was a big change in the series, but the same basic plot and character structure remained intact. Except now it was a single player MMO, probably my least favorite game in the series. 


A single player MMO... What an oxymoron.

The play style changed slightly, you don't have to mindlessly press the confirm button to achieve the same task over an over again to go through the regular battles.  For the battles that did matter though, you had to prepare carefully, just like in the other titles.

The battle system changed in the way you input your choices, but the choices given to you were still the same.



  • PSN: Hynad
  • NN: 3519-6016-4122
  • XBL: Hynad
  • Steam: Hynad81

ff12 was a piece of crap in my opinion, was nothing more than a gimped ff11:online, without the online part. i almost gave up on ff series all together because of that game. but ff13 got me to like the series again and i am glad it was made and its sequels because i am enjoying the hell out of them. :)



GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
ff12 was a piece of crap in my opinion, was nothing more than a gimped ff11:online, without the online part. i almost gave up on ff series all together because of that game. but ff13 got me to like the series again and i am glad it was made and its sequels because i am enjoying the hell out of them. :)


Why don't you just grow up. Final Fantasy sucks and it has a really gimped inline aspect as well.



Meh, bargin bin purchase for me.

It only depressing because Square takes 8 years to make Versus 13.
It just won't release that game... and keep releasing 13 sequels.