Quantcast
WiiU launched pretty well

Forums - Sales Discussion - WiiU launched pretty well

Tagged games:

ryuzaki57 said:
KHlover said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Teriol said:
ryuzaki57 said:
As I said in another thread, that means nothing because WiiU has a short-term strategy. Strong launch line-up to lure the core gamers (which failed), 2D Mario to appeal to the traditional fanbase and Nintendo Land + gimmicky controls to reach as many casual gamers as possible during the holiday season. In January WiiU's momentum will disappear like Cinderella's dress, to never return again because 3rd parties will ignore a system on which they sell nothing.

If WiiU can't get ahead of the competition now, it is doomed. PS3 and 360 have possible price cuts for next year, while WiiU's price was set as low as possible so as not to deter casual gamers. Also, PS3/360 launch comparisons make no sense since PS3 retailed for 599€ at launch, while a WiiU costs half that price. Needless to say, core gamers like 3rd parties will heavily favor PS4/X720, and future known multiplatform games are not coming to WiiU.

Therefore for WiiU, it's now or never. From the sales, it's clearly never.

what are you going to say when the future show something different? lol

In that case I'll simply say I was wrong. It's just my analysis, I may be mistaken.


Wow, seems like you were pretty outraged when you wrote this article. I don´t get the hate for Nintendo in this post though. It is common praxis to have an exclusive character if a game with multiple characters releases on a new platform. I´ll have to agree that using Kasumi as the exclusive character is a little unfortunate though as she already semi-belongs to the franchise, they instead should have added a truly Nintendo-exclusive character like ZS-Samus, that would have fit the WiiU-version better.

It would have been better indeed (after all they put Nintendo-like stuff in Tekken U). Joke aside I would be fine with this if only we PS3/360 owners, who have contributed to the success of the franchise, were given equal treatment. It being a common practice doesn't make it legitimate. Tecmo cannot just ignore the majority of its audience for some juicy exclusivity contract.


I get your point, they really should have added Kasumi as a free DLC character for PS360. This case is unique though, normally those games release at the same time, so 1 excluse character per console is no problem, an exclusive character for only one of them however is.



Around the Network

I think Europe is actually the most important market to predict future Wii U demand because of all the main regions Europe is the least Nintendo friendly market and therefore it will be a good barometer for demand outside of the Nintendo faithful and the new loyal Wii fanbase. If they cannot increase demand there then I suspect that the U.S.A. will soon follow a similar pattern. The Wii did well in Europe because it expanded the market for the console but if the market for this console contracts in Europe it means they haven't yet gained the interest of their old expanded market.



Tease.

Looks good indeed. If only they can fix all the problems with the OS. That is my biggest fear as Nintendo has a track record of having lots of great ideas that are poorly implement, and then forgotten even before their full potential can be realized. And Nintendo is going to need all the good ideas they can come of with this generation....



ryuzaki57 said:I really appreciate your sollicitude for my coregamerness but I'm really fine since 99% of the games I want are not for WiiU. I just don't like manufacturers throwing money at publishers all of a sudden to get exclusive content for series that have made their success elsewhere, in the sole purpose to sell more hardware.

Firstly, not every nintendo fan will have a wii u. They will pick it up as more games come.

Next, You seem to think 99% of the games you want aren't on it but do bear in mind nintendo still aren't letting people talk. Why? I don't know anymore. But the square enix game that straight right wanted revealled by the end of this year hasn't been shown off yet. I'm just rolling with this until they are ready to talk.

And about your kasumi comment, I care. The funny thing about it is you guys always say "hey great more people get to play it" whenever it goes to ps3 or 360 but when it goes to nintendo "nobody cares". Even if only 1000 people bought call of duty its still 1000 who didn't have a ps3 or 360 and don't like what microsoft or sony offer. Not everybody likes ps3 or 360. Some would rather stick with nintendo and I have some of the games which I looked and thought I never would have had the chance to play. Also, ninja gaiden was on nintendo first. Microsoft stole it from us. I would have liked to play it on gamecube but hey at least I got it on ds. Your throwing this generalization around that nintendo owners don't care for third party games just because they don't sell as well as the other systems. And besides all that, you already know sigma 3 is coming to ps3. So why are you complaining? I am hopeful dead or alive 5 will get released on my system of choice in the future.

But you better get used to things like bayonetta 2. Nintendo are making a habit of this publishing. The game I actually hope for more then anything is in your sig. But I know I can't have everything without investing in other systems. Hopefully one day it comes but I have stuff to keep me occupied. I understand if you don't like what nintendo offer. And I understand you are upset about missing out on bayonetta 2. But that is exactly how I felt about the original ninja gaiden.



One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

Squilliam said:
I think Europe is actually the most important market to predict future Wii U demand because of all the main regions Europe is the least Nintendo friendly market and therefore it will be a good barometer for demand outside of the Nintendo faithful and the new loyal Wii fanbase. If they cannot increase demand there then I suspect that the U.S.A. will soon follow a similar pattern. The Wii did well in Europe because it expanded the market for the console but if the market for this console contracts in Europe it means they haven't yet gained the interest of their old expanded market.

Odd reasoning. With that logic the x360 would have been doomed for it's lack of Japanese support/sales.

The biggest problem any console has in Europe is the (post-)recession there. Dedicated consoles are low tier luxury products. In that kind of economy, these are the first to suffer. The first to lose sales.



In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network

It didn't outsell the Wii so it is a huge failure. This is what I've heard Nintendo fans saying about the PS3 compared to PS2 for the last 6 years, so have a taste of your own logic, Ninty fans.



________________________________________________________________

KylieDog said:
It didn't outsell the Wii so it is a huge failure. This is what I've heard Nintendo fans saying about the PS3 compared to PS2 for the last 6 years, so have a taste of your own logic, Ninty fans.


Which fans?

Provide quotes.



CCFanboy said:
ryuzaki57 said:I really appreciate your sollicitude for my coregamerness but I'm really fine since 99% of the games I want are not for WiiU. I just don't like manufacturers throwing money at publishers all of a sudden to get exclusive content for series that have made their success elsewhere, in the sole purpose to sell more hardware.

Firstly, not every nintendo fan will have a wii u. They will pick it up as more games come.

Next, You seem to think 99% of the games you want aren't on it but do bear in mind nintendo still aren't letting people talk. Why? I don't know anymore. But the square enix game that straight right wanted (1) revealled by the end of this year hasn't been shown off yet. I'm just rolling with this until they are ready to talk.

And about your kasumi comment, I care. The funny thing about it is you guys always say "hey great more people get to play it" whenever it goes to ps3 or 360 but when it goes to nintendo "nobody cares". Even if only 1000 people bought call of duty its still 1000 who didn't have a ps3 or 360 and don't like what microsoft or sony offer (2). Not everybody likes ps3 or 360. Some would rather stick with nintendo and I have some of the games which I looked and thought I never would have had the chance to play. Also, ninja gaiden was on nintendo first. Microsoft stole it from us. I would have liked to play it on gamecube but hey at least I got it on ds. Your throwing this generalization around that nintendo owners don't care for third party games just because they don't sell as well as the other systems. And besides all that, you already know sigma 3 is coming to ps3. So why are you complaining? I am hopeful dead or alive 5 will get released on my system of choice in the future.

But you better get used to things like bayonetta 2. Nintendo are making a habit of this publishing. The game I actually hope for more then anything is in your sig. But I know I can't have everything without investing in other systems. Hopefully one day it comes but I have stuff to keep me occupied. I understand if you don't like what nintendo offer. And I understand you are upset about missing out on bayonetta 2. But that is exactly how I felt about the original ninja gaiden.

(1) I don't follow you. Are you refering to DQX?

(2) Did I say there was anything wrong about BLOPS2 or AC3 on WiiU? As you say, it's very good to have them on multiple platforms so that everyone can enjoy them. I know the very first Ninja Gaiden came to Nintendo platforms but is this relevant in today's market, since it skipped an entire generation? Do current Ninja Gaiden players even know about those? Tecmo basically went where the audience is : why didn't they return to Nintendo when making Sigma 2?Besides it's not like I'm spreading some false propaganda about 3rd parties on WiiU : this is hard fact, look at the damn sales! In the US chart this week there is NO WiiU 3rd party game.

Last thing, there is no whatsoever confirmation that a Sigma 3 is in the works. And as long as this situation continues, I will consider that Nintendo and Tecmo are mocking us.



KHlover said:
ryuzaki57 said:
As I said in another thread, that means nothing because WiiU has a short-term strategy. Strong launch line-up to lure the core gamers (which failed), 2D Mario to appeal to the traditional fanbase and Nintendo Land + gimmicky controls to reach as many casual gamers as possible during the holiday season. In January WiiU's momentum will disappear like Cinderella's dress, to never return again because 3rd parties will ignore a system on which they sell nothing.

If WiiU can't get ahead of the competition now, it is doomed. PS3 and 360 have possible price cuts for next year, while WiiU's price was set as low as possible so as not to deter casual gamers. Also, PS3/360 launch comparisons make no sense since PS3 retailed for 599€ at launch, while a WiiU costs half that price. Needless to say, core gamers like 3rd parties will heavily favor PS4/X720, and future known multiplatform games are not coming to WiiU.

Therefore for WiiU, it's now or never. From the sales, it's clearly never.

Really? Even though I agree with the momentum of the WiiU vanishing in January I can´t agree with second half of the statement. Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Lego City Undercover and Game & Wario are promising games, all of them will release spring 2013. I believe the WiiU will pick up the momentum again and might even sell more than now, you really shouldn´t underestimate the lineup.

Not a bad line up, but compared to the games not on wii-u, it's horribly outnumbered:

DMC, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, MGS:Revengence, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and GTA5. That's without 360 or PS3 exclusives, then it's even worse with Gears of War Judgement, God of War Ascension, the last of us and beyond two souls. Wii-U wont begin to outsell the 360 and PS3 continuously until it has more games released for it.



ryuzaki57 said:(1) I don't follow you. Are you refering to DQX?

(2) Did I say there was anything wrong about BLOPS2 or AC3 on WiiU? As you say, it's very good to have them on multiple platforms so that everyone can enjoy them. I know the very first Ninja Gaiden came to Nintendo platforms but is this relevant in today's market, since it skipped an entire generation? Do current Ninja Gaiden players even know about those? Tecmo basically went where the audience is : why didn't they return to Nintendo when making Sigma 2?Besides it's not like I'm spreading some false propaganda about 3rd parties on WiiU : this is hard fact, look at the damn sales! In the US chart this week there is NO WiiU 3rd party game.

Last thing, there is no whatsoever confirmation that a Sigma 3 is in the works. And as long as this situation continues, I will consider that Nintendo and Tecmo are mocking us.


(1) Its a multiplat release due next year. Its an aaa game in a well known franchise. People speculated tomb raider but they shot that down. But something recently came up and it sounds like the woman who shot it might be misinformed. If it isn't tomb raider its either lightning returns or something they haven't announced yet.

(2) I just thought since you said wii u owners clearly don't care you were implying something you weren't. My misunderstanding. For sigma 2 I actually think tk were being serious when they said power was the reason. Not everybody highlights sales as reasoning. Nintendo are actually taking measures behind the scenes like paying higher royalties. Some companies (like activision) just see wii u as something else to 'milk' on. And some tk games have done pretty well. Adding kasumi is just a way of making the wii u version more appealing. The way I see it, nintendo signing contracts to publish things like ng3 is just making them more competitive. For the record I like your idea of samus. I was as surprised as you were about kasumi because I assumed (given the sigma games) it was going to be rachel.

For the last bit I think considering amazon france have a history of leaking (uncharted 3 and mvc3 on vita) that earns them some kind of credibility. I think they will be doing a straight trade honestly. They are probably making some wii u version of doa 5 and giving ps3 and 360 the good version of ng3. Considering people expect them to do this anyway I can see it being real. I also expect sigma 3 + to get on vita later. But who knows? Maybe they are wrong.



One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D