Forums - Gaming Discussion - What will happen to Call of Duty next generation?

So as we all know by now Call of Duty is the most popular game of this generation. In fact Call of Duty has sold 154.6m copies accross all platform and this is excluding PC as we will not know the exact numbers.  So with that said what will happen to Call of Duty next gen?  Call of Duty is very popular among people who buy it because it is popular and they want to hangout with their friends after work or school.  The game that everybody talks about you know?  It also hasn't been updated significantly since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.  So what will happen next gen?  If it jumps to next gen consoles will it sell as well? Will it update it's engine?  Will they even go to next gen consoles at all?  If they do then they will lose a lot of customers because the casual crowd will most likely not buy a new console for it.   So what do you guys think?  What will happen?






An Unbiased Review                Breaking News!  Naughty Dog Third Party!          

Around the Network
Slow decline until it becomes a F2P MMO in the second half of the gen.

i wonder myself. its fate rests on its first release on the next gen consoles. If it dos great again i think CoD will continue for awhile. If it flounders, I think it will be spelling the end. So maybe next year we will find out.

Hopefully it will decline and go away completely like guitar hero did. Despite different settings each time, each COD is really the same thing.

PSP, PS3, Vita, 3DS, Wii U and PS4.

'Man is Wolf to Man' 


the2real4mafol said:
Hopefully it will decline and go away completely like guitar hero did. Despite different settings each time, each COD is really the same thing.


That would be bad for the game industry though?  Also isn't everygame really just the same thing? If anything call of Duy needs to just take there time to make a better game but every game is the same in reality. How is Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 different?






An Unbiased Review                Breaking News!  Naughty Dog Third Party!          

Around the Network

I think Shooters will remain just as popular on the next gen...

Until a shooter can match the casual fun experience of COD, it will sell for a while.

The game sales are crazy...

MW2, BO, MW3 and BO2 will have around 107+ million sales.

 

Frankly I would imagine a new COD would be a killer Ap like COD 2 was for the Xbox 360...



JayWood2010 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Hopefully it will decline and go away completely like guitar hero did. Despite different settings each time, each COD is really the same thing.


That would be bad for the game industry though?  Also isn't everygame really just the same thing? If anything call of Duy needs to just take there time to make a better game but every game is the same in reality. How is Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 different?

Uncharted got better with each game, it made major improvements with everything, especially the multiplayer and coop. Graphics weren't the only thing that got much better you know. 

Apart from addition of zombies/ survival in more recent games, COD is really same game since COD 4, just the scorestreaks thing is that different. Making it a yearly franchise, is having it's toll on the franchise. Had it been every 2 or 3 years, COD would of been a far better franchise, it wouldn't release with a broken network to start with. Don't get me wrong, i like COD but i've had enough of it now, i won't buy another one again, when i can play BO2 or MW3 anyway. 

And if Call of Duty goes away, another franchise will become this big. Surely creating something new and innovative for the industry.



PSP, PS3, Vita, 3DS, Wii U and PS4.

'Man is Wolf to Man' 


the2real4mafol said:
JayWood2010 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Hopefully it will decline and go away completely like guitar hero did. Despite different settings each time, each COD is really the same thing.


That would be bad for the game industry though?  Also isn't everygame really just the same thing? If anything call of Duy needs to just take there time to make a better game but every game is the same in reality. How is Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 different?

Uncharted got better with each game, it made major improvements with everything, especially the multiplayer and coop. Graphics weren't the only thing that got much better you know. 

Apart from addition of zombies/ survival in more recent games, COD is really same game since COD 4, just the scorestreaks thing is that different. Making it a yearly franchise, is having it's toll on the franchise. Had it been every 2 or 3 years, COD would of been a far better franchise, it wouldn't release with a broken network to start with. Don't get me wrong, i like COD but i've had enough of it now, i won't buy another one again, when i can play BO2 or MW3 anyway. 

And if Call of Duty goes away, another franchise will become this big. Surely creating something new and innovative for the industry.

That's pretty much what I said.  It's the yearly release of call of duty that is hurting it but as I said Uncharted is the same thing everytime.  It gets better and adds new features but it is still uncharted.  Call pof duty adds new features just like Uncharted but it doens't make the game any better is the difference.  My point was all sequel games are usally just the same.  I just used uncharted as an example because it is an amazing game but it is still the same as all the uncharted games.  That is what makes it uncharted after all.






An Unbiased Review                Breaking News!  Naughty Dog Third Party!          

we won't see 60% of the causal market. COD will depend on if there's something bigger, but i feel its interest waning.

Around the Network

I think the thing was the COD games is that its the same thing every year but its what people want...

Frankly people call COD games crap but that simply means 90% games are even worse then the yearly COD games then :)

 

 

Also interest will be wanning but it needs to decline by well over 50% and it would still be the top game of the year...