Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto's words just genuinely made me sad (Regarding Paper Mario)

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/182672/Miyamoto_wonders_Is_story_really_necessary_when_gameplay_will_do.php#.ULjjIoZ9W3o

 

Miyamoto took story elements out of the new Paper Mario because he felt that gamers didn't care about the story.

 

(The following are not words from Miyamoto, but reflect what he had found):

"With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1 percent said the story was interesting,"

This is what must have gone on in his head:

"Hmm.. The story in Super Paper Mario was fantastic! People didn't care for it? People must not like stories."

When in reality, this was the truth for gamers:

"This story is shit, how could Nintendo make such a bland game after the first two Paper Mario games had such great stories and gameplay?"

 

Well, that's what I think, at least. Hearing Miyamoto's words makes me sad, because I *do* care about story. I love hearing stories - the original two Paper Mario games' stories are some of my favorite ones throughout all video games. =/



Around the Network

Paper Mario SS lacking story is the least of its problems according to reviewers and my watching of a few Let's Plays. The game doesn't look fun or like a continuous world. The success of the first two's stories were really the story made by playing through it and the player's actions exploring the world. The actual dialogue was funny but didn't make the game by itself. Removal of context and reason to play was worse.

I'm more concerned that when Miyamoto is gone, Nintendo devs will be free to add all the story they want to the games that shouldn't have it: normal Mario, Pokemon, Smash Bros., speaking dialogue or longer cutscenes in Zelda. Remember how Miyamoto insisted Galaxy's (terrible) story would be hidden away in the Library? Imagine that was all unskippable cutscenes.



This isn't Profession Layton. A puzzler doesn't need a story.

I haven't played any Paper Mario, but Mario in general has never been about story. Its all about smooth 2D/3D platforming. If I wanted a story I'd go play other JRPGs.

 

Naturally, I am cautious when speaking about Paper Mario, because my last two moderations had to do with this series.

But story isn't really the main concern for this series. Yes, it's there and it's witty dialogue, but it's the gameplay that makes or breaks the games. As such, Super Paper Mario's main problem wasn't a story that had way too much dialogue at times. Likewise, Sticker Star's main problem won't be the story (or lack thereof) either.

More specifically on topic, when Miyamoto advises his developers to take out story elements, it's usually in regards to things going overboard, because for some reason young game designers are obsessed with story-telling.

wfz, did you already play through Sticker Star or are you sad based on assumption?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

Biased reviews are a pleasure to read. Just my opinion, of course.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Naturally, I am cautious when speaking about Paper Mario, because my last two moderations had to do with this series.

But story isn't really the main concern for this series. Yes, it's there and it's witty dialogue, but it's the gameplay that makes or breaks the games. As such, Super Paper Mario's main problem wasn't a story that had way too much dialogue at times. Likewise, Sticker Star's main problem won't be the story (or lack thereof) either.

More specifically on topic, when Miyamoto advises his developers to take out story elements, it's usually in regards to things going overboard, because for some reason young game designers are obsessed with story-telling.

wfz, did you already play through Sticker Star or are you sad based on assumption?


I've played through only the first two hours of it. I'm having a difficult time getting into the gameplay. I can't comment much on the story of that game since I didn't make it very far. What made me sad is Miyamoto's apparent disregard for the importance of telling a good story due to the fact that a poll showed them that no one liked SPM's story.

"Story" doesn't mean a plethora of text or cutscenes, yet it seems like a lot of people only associate it with that. I want a meaningful story, not an obtuse story. Obviously, different games have different balances of depth of stories, so I don't expect our 2D and 3D platformers to become focused on storytelling.

The story definitely isn't the main concern for the series, I never meant to imply that. It is a component of the original two games that I love, however.



Galaki said:
This isn't Profession Layton. A puzzler doesn't need a story.

Every game benefits from good characters and interesting and entertaining plots and moments. I think if they couldn't improve those things, then they made the right choice to just take them out because I don't wanna click through crap exposition to get to gameplay.

But I would still want them to have good writing and humor and dialog and personality if they can manage to do it right.



How sad.

wfz said:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/182672/Miyamoto_wonders_Is_story_really_necessary_when_gameplay_will_do.php#.ULjjIoZ9W3o

 

Miyamoto took story elements out of the new Paper Mario because he felt that gamers didn't care about the story.

 

(The following are not words from Miyamoto, but reflect what he had found):

"With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1 percent said the story was interesting,"

This is what must have gone on in his head:

"Hmm.. The story in Super Paper Mario was fantastic! People didn't care for it? People must not like stories."

When in reality, this was the truth for gamers:

"This story is shit, how could Nintendo make such a bland game after the first two Paper Mario games had such great stories and gameplay?"

 

Well, that's what I think, at least. Hearing Miyamoto's words makes me sad, because I *do* care about story. I love hearing stories - the original two Paper Mario games' stories are some of my favorite ones throughout all video games. =/

Congratulations! You are now in the 1%

Personaliy, I woudn't mind seeing stories removed from video games all together. They are nothing but a crutch for people who can't make games.



Around the Network
Club Nintendo!? I just choose random shit so I can hurry up and get my coins! I didn't know they were paying attention!!

Usually, they say "Why did you buy this game?" (Check all that apply)

Tucked somewhere in the choices is the option for "story". I tend to just choose one or type in "Fan of the franchise" and keep moving.

Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!