The last topic I made was more about if Nintendo should exit hardware and create a channel available on every piece of equipment capable of playing games instead. I said Nintendo but I mainly think games should be distributed through channels and played on gaming consoles made by any company just like DVDs are played on a DVD player made by different companies.
Like you would subscribe to the MS/Sony/Nintendo channel where you could have access to all of their games and demos and exclusive stuff. As for the third party games they would be available through any channels.
Why do I think the industry should go this way?
- You would be able to buy the console you want from any company it doesn't matter which, you would have access to any games as long as you subscribe.
- Third party games would all look and perform the same. One thing they could do though is scale down the games depending how powerful your console is just like PCs do but on a console. Like there are tvs for any budgets, there would be a console for any budgets but the more expensives would allow better graphics.
- If one company wants to release some exotic controller nothing can stop them from doing so. All they would need to do is advertise the games like Ninty did with Wii Fit and the balance board. You could also buy controllers from the company you want.
- Devs wouldn't spend their time porting games to different hardware.
- Less devs would go bankrupt because they developped their games on a console that sold poorly. Devs should sell their games to gamers, not to specific console owners.
I hope devs will get the chance to develop a game once instead of having to port them to multiple hardware and still cater to the majority of gamers. Ninty, MS and Sony create incredible games but exclusivity to one console is lame. This model is old and should dissapear altogether. When a big DVD releases, anyone with a DVD player can go and buy it, it doesn't matter what company builds the dvd player... gaming should go this way.
Do you think we should continue with specific hardware and having bad ports all around and not be able to play exclusives from other consoles?