Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did you ever give up on a game because it was too hard?

Just as the title says. Do keep it mind that its a game that you gave up on because of difficulty, not because you didn't like it, because we all drop games which we may play but don't like.

There was one game that was like that for me and it was Star Ocean: The last hope on 360. I played through and enjoyed the game so much but the last boss was ridiculous. Each boss before that took upto 30 minutes, but having to spend over 1 hour on the boss and doing nothing to it was just too much. Normally I'd grind up my characters since it was an RPG, but the game developers made it so that you have to fight through all the previous bosses (with revamped difficulty) before you can get to the final boss and there is no save point before this.

So I said forget this and moved on. It really is a shame because that game was a very enjoyable experience outside of the boss battles and horribly placed save points. And I was also playing on the second to lowest difficulty. I do not want to imagine the 2 difficulties that were above the one I played on.



 

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:

Just as the title says. Do keep it mind that its a game that you gave up on because of difficulty, not because you didn't like it, because we all drop games which we may play but don't like.

There was one game that was like that for me and it was Star Ocean: The last hope on 360. I played through and enjoyed the game so much but the last boss was ridiculous. Each boss before that took upto 30 minutes, but having to spend over 1 hour on the boss and doing nothing to it was just too much. Normally I'd grind up my characters since it was an RPG, but the game developers made it so that you have to fight through all the previous bosses (with revamped difficulty) before you can get to the final boss and there is no save point before this.

So I said forget this and moved on. It really is a shame because that game was a very enjoyable experience outside of the boss battles and horribly placed save points. And I was also playing on the second to lowest difficulty. I do not want to imagine the 2 difficulties that were above the one I played on.


The only time I can think of was Chrono Cross.  There was one boss that kept on killing me.  A white dragon or something.  I wound up putting down the game.  Meant to get back to it, but never did.



For me, "too difficult" and "don't like" are petty much one and the same; once a game gets too difficult it stops being fun, and if a game isn't fun, I don't like it and stop playing.

Fatal Frame 5 localization petition: https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/nintendo-of-japan-north-america-localize-and-release-fatal-frame-on-wii-u-worldwide
Operation Zero on Twitter: https://twitter.com/0perationZer0

Bet with mZuzek: Zelda Wii U will run at 720p (He says 1080p)

3 bets, 3 wins; don't bet against me, I never lose. ;)

black ops on veteran. it was so frustating i was very close to ripping the disc in half.

Prinny 2. I was awful. I got to the final mission and ran out of lives. I still have the game, so I might return to it at some point.

Around the Network
No recent games, but a handful of older NES games. Games were just so much more difficult 25 years ago.

I think the most recent was Castlevania III, which I downloaded on Virtual Console. I played the same level a dozen times, memorized every move and enemy, but I still couldn't make it past the level boss.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
No recent games, but a handful of older NES games. Games were just so much more difficult 25 years ago.

I think the most recent was Castlevania III, which I downloaded on Virtual Console. I played the same level a dozen times, memorized every move and enemy, but I still couldn't make it past the level boss.

No doubt. Those games were difficult. Its almost laughable how easy games have gotten recently.



Both of the Souls games, though I'll likely go back to Dark Souls at some point.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
JWeinCom said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Just as the title says. Do keep it mind that its a game that you gave up on because of difficulty, not because you didn't like it, because we all drop games which we may play but don't like.

There was one game that was like that for me and it was Star Ocean: The last hope on 360. I played through and enjoyed the game so much but the last boss was ridiculous. Each boss before that took upto 30 minutes, but having to spend over 1 hour on the boss and doing nothing to it was just too much. Normally I'd grind up my characters since it was an RPG, but the game developers made it so that you have to fight through all the previous bosses (with revamped difficulty) before you can get to the final boss and there is no save point before this.

So I said forget this and moved on. It really is a shame because that game was a very enjoyable experience outside of the boss battles and horribly placed save points. And I was also playing on the second to lowest difficulty. I do not want to imagine the 2 difficulties that were above the one I played on.


The only time I can think of was Chrono Cross.  There was one boss that kept on killing me.  A white dragon or something.  I wound up putting down the game.  Meant to get back to it, but never did.

Yeah that happens to me in JRPG a lot. I don't like to grind so I tend to push forward and get my self in too deep with not enough XP to level up for bosses. It's frustrating becase I play RPGs for the stories and character, but the random battles or tedius battle systems always get in the way. I think that's why I enjoyed Mass Effect 1-3 so much. Great story and character, but the combat was good too.



Around the Network

Haven't quit a game because of it's difficulty recently. The only game I remember rage quitting was Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on hard, lost in one mission with only one turn left. I was so pissed that I didn't touch the game for about a month, after that I decided to put it up again and finally beat it on hard. First and last time.

Other than that I can't think of any other game aside from some NES ones.



Nintendo and PC gamer