Quantcast
Help, weird screen flicker when playing PS3.

Forums - Sony Discussion - Help, weird screen flicker when playing PS3.

I just got a new TV last saturday, Toshiba 42x3030DB 1080p TV.Works perfect when watching standard TV, but my PS3 experiences some problems. Im running it through a Philex HDMI cable, and occassionally (sometimes when im just on the XMB), the screen will sort of refresh, going to a blue screen for like a microsecond, then flickers to a 'fuzzy' screen for another microsecond then finally comes back on to the game.

 Its happened on the XMB, when playing a few demos (GT5 prologue japanese demo and the new NBA 08 demo), as well as Rainbow six. Every other game ive played seems fine (Ive played COD4, Uncharted, PES2008 and Oblivion.) Ive read other accounts but their problems seem isolated to when a game or film is starting only. Im thinking it could be the HDMI cable cause it only cost £10, bit of a budget choice. Id rather it not be my PS3...

 Anybody have any ideas or encountered this themselves?

 



Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network

Are there any settings on the TV, such as auto refresh.

If so maybe you could turn the setting off.

Try asking Toshiba, see what they say.



 

It's a conspirency man, Toshiba knows you got a PS3 and they want to ruin the experience!

But seriously, go through tv video settings, check make sure everything looks good, and always go through video settings on the PS3 make sure all the settings match your setup (1080p, HDMI audio) and then you can always do the cable jiggle.



Could be some screw HDCP problems



Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I'm getting the same problem with my Samsung, but not just with the PS3. It refreshes the screen goes black and then comes back and says "Shop Mode".




Around the Network

yea might be the HDCP handshake , that causes this problem - maybe because the HDMI cable is faulty or because the TV has a slow HDCP decoder chip



gamingdevil said:
I'm getting the same problem with my Samsung, but not just with the PS3. It refreshes the screen goes black and then comes back and says "Shop Mode".

Thats because the TV is in a shop mode meant for display at places like best buy. Basically it will revert to its default settings every so often, that way people can screw around with different settings in store.

There is a way to change this, but I forgot how, so try google.

 

And some sets have a history of wacky HDCP issues, so I'd say definitely look into that as it can be fixed by a firmware update. If thats not it, you might have a bad board in your TV, which technicians can usually replace easily.



Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
gamingdevil said:
I'm getting the same problem with my Samsung, but not just with the PS3. It refreshes the screen goes black and then comes back and says "Shop Mode".

Thats because the TV is in a shop mode meant for display at places like best buy. Basically it will revert to its default settings every so often, that way people can screw around with different settings in store.

There is a way to change this, but I forgot how, so try google.


Thanks i fixed it ^^




LOL m8, if you turned 360 degrees you would end up facing the xbox 360 again. Clever chaps those peeps at microsoft. They figured that it would turn your head a full 360 degrees when you seen what it was capable of doing. lol lol lol.



Same thing happens to me if I quit out of a game via the XMB on my 27 inch little cheap LCD. I wouldn't worry about it man, i think its what you said just like some refreshing or just a screen that comes up while the PS3 is figuring out what its doing and switching modes from gaming to the XMB or whatever.



PSN ID= bigdaddymoo

 

MSI GT725-074 owner..... TRUE BEAST.. COD4 is a different game on PC.