Quantcast
Sony has trademarked names for two new IP's.

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has trademarked names for two new IP's.

Imaginedvl said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
logic56 said:
Sony can't afford to make games

/thread


Yeah....sure, its called heart. Anyway, its better to have a company focused on new and old ip's rather than a company that lives off of old IP's (obviously not bad ones) and another whose first party isnt on par and depends on third party.


And why exactly is this better? you seem to imply that "new" IP = more enjoyable or fun for gamers.

Mario, the Masterchief and those games from EA, Ubisoft and Activision (third party) are not inferior by any means to any "other" first party. To me. But this my own oppinion :)


Im not saying this. Sony has their characters too, but they have the drive to make more because the variety what gives gamers choice. This is where Sony is miles ahead.



Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
I'm going to hope one of them is The Last Guardian.


I think the PS3 is going to go out with a good sum of games (Including TLG), but these might be next gen titles.



S.T.A.G.E. said:
Solid-Stark said:
I'm going to hope one of them is The Last Guardian.


I think the PS3 is going to go out with a good sum of games (Including TLG), but these might be next gen titles.


This I really doubt. The lost the trademark rights for the name. This game will definetly kill Team Ico



S.T.A.G.E. said:
Imaginedvl said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
logic56 said:
Sony can't afford to make games

/thread


Yeah....sure, its called heart. Anyway, its better to have a company focused on new and old ip's rather than a company that lives off of old IP's (obviously not bad ones) and another whose first party isnt on par and depends on third party.


And why exactly is this better? you seem to imply that "new" IP = more enjoyable or fun for gamers.

Mario, the Masterchief and those games from EA, Ubisoft and Activision (third party) are not inferior by any means to any "other" first party. To me. But this my own oppinion :)


Im not saying this. Sony has their characters too, but they have the drive to make more because the variety what gives gamers choice. This is where Sony is miles ahead.

Def. not going to arg with you about that fact : Sony is trying hard to please gamers with different type of game.

The part where I disagree is about that being better in general (for the company itself and for the gamers). The opposite may also be true, having Nintendo/Microsft focusing on beloved IPs is actually as good or even better to me. At the end it really depends on us, I prefer MS to work and spend my money on Halo 4, 5 and 6 than creating new IPs. Same for Nintendo with Mario and Co. 

So I would say that it is simply a different strategy and it may please one type of customer and not the other.



AndrewWK said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Solid-Stark said:
I'm going to hope one of them is The Last Guardian.


I think the PS3 is going to go out with a good sum of games (Including TLG), but these might be next gen titles.


This I really doubt. The lost the trademark rights for the name. This game will definetly kill Team Ico


Team Ico is working on this game in tandem with Sony Santamonica. Its still coming.



Around the Network

possibl



Imaginedvl said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Imaginedvl said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
logic56 said:
Sony can't afford to make games

/thread


Yeah....sure, its called heart. Anyway, its better to have a company focused on new and old ip's rather than a company that lives off of old IP's (obviously not bad ones) and another whose first party isnt on par and depends on third party.


And why exactly is this better? you seem to imply that "new" IP = more enjoyable or fun for gamers.

Mario, the Masterchief and those games from EA, Ubisoft and Activision (third party) are not inferior by any means to any "other" first party. To me. But this my own oppinion :)


Im not saying this. Sony has their characters too, but they have the drive to make more because the variety what gives gamers choice. This is where Sony is miles ahead.

Def. not going to arg with you about that fact : Sony is trying hard to please gamers with different type of game.

The part where I disagree is about that being better in general (for the company itself and for the gamers). The opposite may also be true, having Nintendo/Microsft focusing on beloved IPs is actually as good or even better to me. At the end it really depends on us, I prefer MS to work and spend my money on Halo 4, 5 and 6 than creating new IPs. Same for Nintendo with Mario and Co. 

So I would say that it is simply a different strategy and it may please one type of customer and not the other.


I side with the company that makes the most quality titles. Generally thats all based on opinion, but Sony's scores on their first party speak for themselves. Rarely anything lower than a 7 and a lot of their games are starting to have replay value beyond single player mode. In my opinion Microsoft is a great business company, not a great game company. They have changed gaming through OS, yes this is a fact, but other we could say that started with them helping Sega with the Dreamcast. Halo is a great shooter, but its all Microsofts got. So if Microsoft never bought Halo from under Apples nose would you play the game on a mac? Gears is finite and cannot be put on the same pedestal as Mario whom can have infinite games because the focus of the game is simplicity not a drawn out story. For sophisticated stories they must eventually all come to an end unless its tailor made to expand. The Halo world has a set universe and everyone thought it would end at 3, but I am guessing it will get to six. The halo universe will eventually run out of gas as well. Sony knows some of their games will run out of gas so why not make more experiences. When you watch the "Long Live Gaming" sequences you see what Sony is all about. Microsoft has admitted they dont take risks in making new IP's. Smart, but even then the tried 90% of the time they failed. Sony has quite a few games that have come out this gen that will be stuck in the minds of Playstation owners. Microsoft will still have Halo and Nintendo will relive the late 80's and 90's every gen until they create characters for a new generation. Again...all of their top games are top games for a reason, but when its all said and done Sonys always the last company to leave.



AndrewWK said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Solid-Stark said:
I'm going to hope one of them is The Last Guardian.


I think the PS3 is going to go out with a good sum of games (Including TLG), but these might be next gen titles.


This I really doubt. The lost the trademark rights for the name. This game will definetly kill Team Ico

nah it really is not that big of a deal...trademarks expire all the time (last year apparently versus trademark also expired). Someone here explained it really well..forgot who tho. Long story short, they have a certain amunt of time (I believe until next year) to prove they are still gonna use it in a meaningful way. No one can just buy the trademark just for the heck of it, they need to show valid reasons as well. So unless sony wants to change the name it's all good

besides sony confirmed the game is still in development post this news also



In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
AndrewWK said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Solid-Stark said:
I'm going to hope one of them is The Last Guardian.


I think the PS3 is going to go out with a good sum of games (Including TLG), but these might be next gen titles.


This I really doubt. The lost the trademark rights for the name. This game will definetly kill Team Ico

nah it really is not that big of a deal...trademarks expire all the time (last year apparently versus trademark also expired). Someone here explained it really well..forgot who tho. Long story short, they have a certain amunt of time (I believe until next year) to prove they are still gonna use it in a meaningful way. No one can just buy the trademark just for the heck of it, they need to show valid reasons as well. So unless sony wants to change the name it's all good

besides sony confirmed the game is still in development post this news also

And to reclaim the trademark rights Sony will have to pay for it again. And these are again unnecesary expanses.



AndrewWK said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
AndrewWK said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Solid-Stark said:
I'm going to hope one of them is The Last Guardian.


I think the PS3 is going to go out with a good sum of games (Including TLG), but these might be next gen titles.


This I really doubt. The lost the trademark rights for the name. This game will definetly kill Team Ico

nah it really is not that big of a deal...trademarks expire all the time (last year apparently versus trademark also expired). Someone here explained it really well..forgot who tho. Long story short, they have a certain amunt of time (I believe until next year) to prove they are still gonna use it in a meaningful way. No one can just buy the trademark just for the heck of it, they need to show valid reasons as well. So unless sony wants to change the name it's all good

besides sony confirmed the game is still in development post this news also

And to reclaim the trademark rights Sony will have to pay for it again. And these are again unnecesary expanses.

I don't think the expenses related to something like this is significant enough for sony to worry :D Team Ico will be around in the future as well I think. Sony japan needs some big changes. Sony understands this too, hence why they sent that guy who was in charge of santa monica over to Japan studios. So I'm hopeful. IF Team Ico can expand, and bring out games every 3 years or so, it will be a huge strength to sony.



In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!