Quantcast
The WWII Thread

Forums - General Discussion - The WWII Thread

Which country do you find the most interesting during the WW2 era??

USA 15 15.96%
 
Russia 19 20.21%
 
England 7 7.45%
 
Germany 44 46.81%
 
Japan 1 1.06%
 
Italy 0 0.00%
 
France 2 2.13%
 
Australia 2 2.13%
 
Canada 1 1.06%
 
Finland 3 3.19%
 
Total:94

I have been reading Tom Brokaw: The Greatest Generation Speaks and it is filled with tons of sometimes heartbreaking stories covering all aspects of people's lives during WW2. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys reading about WW2.



Around the Network

nazi germany the best dressed killers in history

i have to tip my hat to the germans,it takes real balls to try and take europe,not like the french and english beating up people with spears and no clothes

i never understood why hitler didn't finish off england when he had the chance,they say it was the air power but i think he liked us really deep down,he really didn't like the russians and made the historical mistake

germany and japan countries with real balls,i'm mean hitting the usa,gulp

still the germans back on top now in europe with the french pretending they are and the english grumbling on the side all wondering what the hell the italians are up to

some things never change in europe



                                                                                                                                        Above & Beyond

   

chris.m95 said:
Kantor said:
Pemalite said:
homer said:
@Pemalite
And yet in the end, we were the first to have it and use it saving thousands of Japanese and Americans.


Saving? The war was nearing it's conclusion anyhow.
Germany had already surrended.

Japan was crippled having been pushed back by the allies and having very little industry left to rebuild it's war machines.
Not to mention the Allies had a blockade on Japan... So having food, medicines and fuel stopped from being imported would have probaly caused a surrender in the end anyhow.
Then the USA dropped the 2 bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki killing up-to around a quarter of a million people with effects from the radiation harming generations to come (This includes innocent women and children).

Not to mention the Soviets entry into the War on Japan with 1.6 million+ troops and the fall of  the Axis powers probably caused a larger impact on Japan's decision to surrender than the bombs themselves.

Japan was not about to surrender. It was far too proud. Even knowing that they couldn't possibly win, the Japanese government kept fighting. Hell, they kept fighting after the first atomic bomb. The only alternative would be an enormous full-scale invasion of Japan which would have resulted in far more casualties on both sides.

The japanesee population werent at breaking point even they quite literally were planning house to house combat using noting more than common kitchen utinsels etc they were insanley intent on fighting

The Japanese were scared of the Soviets, While it would take Americans MONTHS to take a single piece of land, The Russians would barge through with 100,000 men and 1,000 T34's. Russia didnt care how many troops it lost, America did, So Russia could of invaded Japan and taken it. Plus the Russians are WAY more brutal than the Japanese are..

 



Britain will do as a name,i never liked the great

i like Albion myself which the greeks called us

it should come to an end soon as the Scots should force through independance sometime,hopefully

if i was in charge i'd have a referendum of two choices we all come together as one country called Albion

capital London,same sports teams etc etc or we all go our separate ways for good

i'm pretty sure no one would vote for Albion though apart from me



                                                                                                                                        Above & Beyond

   

Russia's involvement was by far the biggest factor in the allies winning the war and the country with the most casualties by far, so I'm going with them. The sad thing is their leader was as much of an asshole as the German one...

The UK was, at one point, fighting against Nazi Germany and conquered Europe on her own. Also commendable stuff.

The U.S.'s impact on the outcome of the war is waay overrated, too many Hollywood movies make it seem like they won the war on their own and saved Europe, when their enemy the USSR had much more of an impact. Of course, the Europeans were happy to raise the Americans' self-esteem and gladly licked their butts a bit for some much needed money, so all is good.

Japan was pretty interesting, too. My fiancées grandma was trained with bamboo to fight the Americans, lol.



No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:

Russia's involvement was by far the biggest factor in the allies winning the war and the country with the most casualties by far, so I'm going with them. The sad thing is their leader was as much of an asshole as the German one...

The UK was, at one point, fighting against Nazi Germany and conquered Europe on her own. Also commendable stuff.

The U.S.'s impact on the outcome of the war is waay overrated, too many Hollywood movies make it seem like they won the war on their own and saved Europe, when their enemy the USSR had much more of an impact. Of course, the Europeans were happy to raise the Americans' self-esteem and gladly licked their butts a bit for some much needed money, so all is good.

Japan was pretty interesting, too. My fiancées grandma was trained with bamboo to fight the Americans, lol.

USA helped a decent amount against Germany.  However, Russia took a huge beating at first before they could turn things around.  US helped a lot with supplies, troops, air power, etc in Europe.  I wouldn't say their contributions are vastly overrated (maybe in some Hollywood films).  Most documentaries and History Channel specials make it obviously clear that Russia helped the most against Germany.  US contributions against Japan are probably the most with England, Australia, New Zealand helping a decent amount also against Japan.

 "The origins of the T-34 stretched back to early 1930s, when Red Army planners supported a prototype tank designed by the American J. Walter Christie, its innovative suspension siring a series of Soviet BTs, or "Fast Tanks."  Industrial legend has it that Christie's designs embodied most of the advances that later made the T-34 such a superior machine, but Soviet engineers vastly improved everything."  - Soul of the Sword 

Just thought to throw the last paragraph out there.  While the T-34 can't be entirely credited to J. Walter Christie he did show them in the right direction.  Russians are always good at copying, stealing, and improving on other countries weapon designs (airplanes, tanks, etc). 





sethnintendo said:
Troll_Whisperer said:

Russia's involvement was by far the biggest factor in the allies winning the war and the country with the most casualties by far, so I'm going with them. The sad thing is their leader was as much of an asshole as the German one...

The UK was, at one point, fighting against Nazi Germany and conquered Europe on her own. Also commendable stuff.

The U.S.'s impact on the outcome of the war is waay overrated, too many Hollywood movies make it seem like they won the war on their own and saved Europe, when their enemy the USSR had much more of an impact. Of course, the Europeans were happy to raise the Americans' self-esteem and gladly licked their butts a bit for some much needed money, so all is good.

Japan was pretty interesting, too. My fiancées grandma was trained with bamboo to fight the Americans, lol.

USA helped a decent amount against Germany.  However, Russia took a huge beating at first before they could turn things around.  US helped a lot with supplies, troops, air power, etc in Europe.  I wouldn't say their contributions are vastly overrated (maybe in some Hollywood films).  Most documentaries and History Channel specials make it obviously clear that Russia helped the most against Germany.  US contributions against Japan are probably the most with England, Australia, New Zealand helping a decent amount also against Japan.

 "The origins of the T-34 stretched back to early 1930s, when Red Army planners supported a prototype tank designed by the American J. Walter Christie, its innovative suspension siring a series of Soviet BTs, or "Fast Tanks."  Industrial legend has it that Christie's designs embodied most of the advances that later made the T-34 such a superior machine, but Soviet engineers vastly improved everything."  - Soul of the Sword 

Just thought to throw the last paragraph out there.  While the T-34 can't be entirely credited to J. Walter Christie he did show them in the right direction.  Russians are always good at copying, stealing, and improving on other countries weapon designs (airplanes, tanks, etc). 



I didn't want to imply that the US didn't have a big impact, which it did, especially in the Pacific front. Just that so many movies and games make it seemed like it was US v everything. Of course, someone who's very informed of WWII as you is not going to have that image, I'm talking about people who's only source of information in this matter are movies, games, etc.

To be perfectly honest I'm not a big expert in WWII (though I know how it played out in general terms and what role the parts played), and especially don't know much about the weapons used during the war, so I didn't know about the T-34, thanks for that. However, I have the feeling that, despite people making it seem like the US and USSR were equal powers during the cold war, the American economy and engineering was always much better (despite Russia having more nuclear weapons, launching to space first, etc), so you're probably right.



No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Troll_Whisperer said:

I didn't want to imply that the US didn't have a big impact, which it did, especially in the Pacific front. Just that so many movies and games make it seemed like it was US v everything. Of course, someone who's very informed of WWII as you is not going to have that image, I'm talking about people who's only source of information in this matter are movies, games, etc.

To be perfectly honest I'm not a big expert in WWII (though I know how it played out in general terms and what role the parts played), and especially don't know much about the weapons used during the war, so I didn't know about the T-34, thanks for that. However, I have the feeling that, despite people making it seem like the US and USSR were equal powers during the cold war, the American economy and engineering was always much better (despite Russia having more nuclear weapons, launching to space first, etc), so you're probably right.

I was actually trying to find an original weapon made by the Russians and I came up with the AK-47.  After looking at the Wiki page on the AK-47 it can be pulled from there that they really were just copying the assault rifle idea mainly from Germany with their StG44.  Since the Russians had plenty of experience towards the end of the war with Germany infantry being equipped with StG44 they obviously saw the value in the assault rifle.  Anyways, the AK-47 was and still is an amazing gun and has proven reliability.  I am sure there are plenty of original weapons ideas that the Russians have come up with but I just can't find any that are completely original.  However, it can be said that most weapons are just improvements based off of previous weapons. 



i don't think the UK would have survived the germans without canada,usa,aus etc

so its a funny old game indeed



                                                                                                                                        Above & Beyond

   

homer said:
I find it interesting how Switzerland remained fairly neutral in the war. Did they assist anyone in any way? I know they housed a lot of Nazi members money in their banks, but did they do anything else?


They supplied the germans with raw materials, money etc so thet they wouldnt invade them



Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt