Quantcast
Just got Uncharted

Forums - Sony Discussion - Just got Uncharted

@ RocketPig

I actually like Uncharted's cover system better than in Gears, although we've seen this approach in games before (Bleszinski said that the inspiration for the cover system came when he saw Kill.Switch, a PS2 title that applied cover shooting strategies back in 2003), I thought this was Gears' strong point. I surely would rank Uncharted much MUCH higher with regard to production values such as acting, story telling, gameplay scripting, much more and better diversity (just compare the meh annoying lightgun tank section is Gears with the super impressive jeep section in Uncharted), etc.

Where Uncharted also shines is the attention to detail, great lighting, lip sync while talking in-game, water effects, animations and such.

IMO Uncharted is truly awesome!



Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

I think Gears of War's cover system is more robust because you're able to crouch and stuff at will. With Uncharted's cover system, Drake will only crouch if the spot he's going into cover is only like waist high. However, I do like how in Uncharted, I didn't feel like I was glued to the wall when I went into cover as much as I did in Gears of War. The game's mechanics may have been seen in other games, but it's still good implementation despite it not being perfect. Honestly, I'd rather not have Uncharted's jumping puzzles be as difficult as a game like Tomb Raider: Anniversairy (mainly with large amounts of deaths if you missed a little bit).

I also disliked the automatic rifles (and pistol) in the game as well. They were good when the story twist happens, but I've found the automatic weapons were pretty much only useful when you shot in singles rather than burst or full automatic. Bursts sometimes worked, but I'd usually waste shots because the enemies move around a lot so instead I stuck with the 9mm pistols (especially when the one with larger clips came around) and a shotgun. That way, I could wipe out anybody who gets close to me with the shotgun and the pistol would guarantee to only use one bullet every time I pressed R1 and I usually always tried to line up headshots.



grandmaster192 said:
rocketpig said:
 

I expect a Game of the Year (in some peoples' eyes here) to offer some new and intriguing gameplay or story, that's all.

Uncharted doesn't offer that.

I'll never understand that. Innovation is something that only comes 1-5 per generation. You can't possibly expect innovation in every great game that comes out. There has not been a single innovative game this generation.


Well, just this year, SMG, BioShock, and Assassin's Creed all offered something new and different in gameplay or storytelling. Even Mass Effect had some cool new stuff.

Innovation doesn't have to mean the entire game is new and exciting, just that it offers something new. 




Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

MikeB said:
@ RocketPig

I actually like Uncharted's cover system better than in Gears, although we've seen this approach in games before (Bleszinski said that the inspiration for the cover system came when he saw Kill.Switch, a PS2 title that applied cover shooting strategies back in 2003), I thought this was Gears' strong point. I surely would rank Uncharted much MUCH higher with regard to production values such as acting, story telling, gameplay scripting, much more and better diversity (just compare the meh annoying lightgun tank section is Gears with the super impressive jeep section in Uncharted), etc.

Where Uncharted also shines is the attention to detail, great lighting, lip sync while talking in-game, water effects, animations and such.

IMO Uncharted is truly awesome!

See, I disagree. I think Gears' cover system is vastly superior to Uncharted.

But I will agree that the attention to detail, lighting, lip-syncing, water effects, and animations are very good. The writing is also very good, though the voice acting lets it down every now and again. 




Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@ IllegalPaladin

I think Gears of War's cover system is more robust because you're able to crouch and stuff at will.


I would say the cover system is more bulky instead or more robust. In Uncharted you climb on top of objects and actually jump. IMO Gears' movement feels more restricted. I dislike it that the (unrealistic) crouched running is mapped to the same button as taking cover.

With Uncharted's cover system, Drake will only crouch if the spot he's going into cover is only like waist high.


I would say the cover system in Uncharted is more advanced, you can for instance hang onto an edge and to shoot you temporary pull yourself up a little and take aim and go back into cover while hanging from the ledge.



Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ IllegalPaladin

I think Gears of War's cover system is more robust because you're able to crouch and stuff at will.


I would say the cover system is more bulky instead or more robust. In Uncharted you climb on top of objects and actually jump. IMO Gears' movement feels more restricted. I dislike it that the (unrealistic) crouched running is mapped to the same button as taking cover.

With Uncharted's cover system, Drake will only crouch if the spot he's going into cover is only like waist high.


I would say the cover system in Uncharted is more advanced, you can for instance hang onto an edge and to shoot you temporary pull yourself up a little and take aim and go back into cover while hanging from the ledge.

True, but the vertical element is completely missing from Gears, which was an intentional move by Epic. The extra stuff in Uncharted is needed because it has different gameplay elements.

My big problem with the cover system in Uncharted is the inability to take cover on many walls, the inability to duck, and most annoyingly, the inability to traverse from cover-to-cover, whether it be forward or across a doorway or span of open territory. This is where Gears excels and Uncharted falls on its face. 




Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@ rocketpig

and most annoyingly, the inability to traverse from cover-to-cover, whether it be forward or across a doorway or span of open territory


I'm sorry if I misunderstand you, but do you mean like jumping from one cover position into another? If so, that's possible in Uncharted...



Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ rocketpig

and most annoyingly, the inability to traverse from cover-to-cover, whether it be forward or across a doorway or span of open territory


I'm sorry if I misunderstand you, but do you mean like jumping from one cover position into another? If so, that's possible in Uncharted...

It works... Sometimes. Most of the time, it's hit-or-miss. You have the ability to move forward in cover somewhat smoothly but the lateral movement is nonexistant from what I have seen in the game.

Even the forward cover movement is broken. It works sometimes but other times, you just expose yourself. It's definitely not as polished as Gears. 




Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@ RocketPig

inability to take cover on many walls, the inability to duck

On some walls it doesn't make sense to take cover as you would be in direct line of fire, I think everywhere where it makes sense to put yourself against a wall it's possible.

If memory serves me well there wasn't a duck button in Gears? Just the crouched running mapped to the same button as rolling and cover? Drake does sometimes duck a little when shot at or lean forward when running up stairs, but the former more due to shock reactions. IMO Drake (as well as Elena) feel and act human, I don't even remember the name of the main "hero" in Gears (I completed the game though, waiting to be really blown away by something impressive, but IMO the Beserker was as good as it gets on the 360 and the endgame boss IMO sucks, Boomers make me feel I was shooting big aliens with the IQ of a Toddler...) but the guys feel robotic, lacking feelings and intelligence.

Boy I know it sounds like I really hate the game, but that's not really the case, I just bought the game with wrong expectations (due to reviews). I can easily imagine the game appealing to for instance B.A. or WWF loving teens, but I am more the Indiana Jones, James Bond or Die Hard-style liking type of guy and Uncharted is thus far more suitable for me.



Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ rocketpig

but the lateral movement is nonexistant from what I have seen in the game.


For me it works well, for instance taking cover at the side of an entrance, just aim the analog stick towards the other side where you want to go and hit the cover button and Drake will take cover at the other side. This always works for me, same with boxes, pillars, walls, etc.

Even the forward cover movement is broken.


Maybe you have trouble aiming well? I do remember that Gears felt more sticky when taking cover, for some this may be a plus and others it's not...

A nice touch I like is walking + aiming, you can easily change the point of view having Drake placed on either the right or left side of the screen by pushing the analog stick.



Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales