Quantcast
Could PS VITA OUTSELL 3DS In Lifetime Sales? Or Will Nintendo Keep Its IRON GRIP On the Handheld Market?!

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could PS VITA OUTSELL 3DS In Lifetime Sales? Or Will Nintendo Keep Its IRON GRIP On the Handheld Market?!

Who will win the handheld gaming system battle?

Playstation Vita 135 36.68%
 
Nintendo 3DS 212 57.61%
 
Nintendo will win the bat... 13 3.53%
 
SONY will win the battle,... 8 2.17%
 
Total:368
thismeintiel said:
I think with the price announcement, Sony has proven they aren't playing around this time. I think they are going to make sure that they will always have some good titles just around the corner, without any droughts. And it looks like they are going to have very good 1st and 3rd party support for the Vita from the start, something Sony had in the PS1 and PS2 days. And an exclusive COD, as well as other FPS franchises, with proper controls may help push some big sales in the US. In Japan, Sony is going to be helped by the momentum from support for their current systems of late.

Also, while a price cut for the 3DS around this holiday season would be a smart move, I think Nintendo is going to try and have at least one holiday at full price. Besides, cutting the price of the 3DS before its even a year old would look like a FUD move. It would give people the impression that Nintendo isn't confident in their HW. If there is a price cut, it would most likely come sometime mid-late 2012, and be ~$50. Which Sony will probably answer with a ~$25 cut of their own just before Holiday 2012, still making it look like the better value, overall. Anyway, this year Vita and 3DS are going toe to toe at the same price. Something that will benefit the Vita, greatly.

This sounds about right, and I hope you're right!  Go Vita!



Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
By the time the PS Vita will be released in all regions and its post-launch game drought will be comming to an end the 3DS will have seen a price reduction, will potentially have a re-design that adresses most of the issues people have with the hardware, Nintendo and third party publishers will regularly be releasing interesting core titles, and Nintendo will start releasing market-expanding titles on regular intervals.

At about this time, DS interest will begin to drop off rapidly and people will be looking to upgrade to the next generation, and backwards compatiblitiy, the lower price point, a larger library, and the steady release of titles that interest DS owners will enable Nintendo to recapture the bulk of these users.

This could pretty much end the thread IMO if people were interested in discussing well-founded predictions for a future timeframe of reasonably small proportions. 
But most people are focused on the misty far future and/or wearing fanboy goggles so it got completely ignored. 

(Admittedly the misty far future is exactly the subject of the OP so there you go.) 



Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Absolutely not, the 3DS will win it out in the long run. They will put out a new Pokemon on store shelves and that thing will explode.



its simple: 3ds

- the headstart is a no pressure way to gain a free lead. Bad launch lineup? who cares when ur competitor isnt out yet?

- PS Vita missing a Europe christmas? bad move

- Proven fact that handheld releases of popular ps3 franchises (lbp, modnation, etc) sell far less then ps3 counterparts.

- Nintendo has mario kart and mario 3d coming out this year.....games that each sold over 20 million on the ds.

- most sensible gamers are waiting for the price cut/slim 3ds like nintendo ALWAYS does with handhelds.



___________

Older and wiser. Still bias and proud though ;)

I think Vita will put up a good fight in the first year, trading blows with 3DS depending on game releases. But once Pokemon comes out, I think 3DS will pull ahead.

Sony will be losing money with every Vita sold WW so they wouldn't be able to drop the price, I honestly don't know how long Sony can continue to sell consoles at a loss, since it's a handheld it probably won't sell as many games as PS3 to make up the difference. Originally they said they wanted to sell Vita at a profit, but clearly the decision to drop the price screams to me "we are scared and can't compete with 3DS at a profitable price point".



Around the Network
Seece said:

No, Nintendo will win, but not by the sheer amount the DS has.

The vita looks great and is ticking all the boxes for US, but yet again Vita just isn't going to appeal to the casual market like the 3DS eventually will, and so they'll lose.


/Thread



Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile


sales2099 said:
its simple: 3ds

- the headstart is a no pressure way to gain a free lead. Bad launch lineup? who cares when ur competitor isnt out yet?

- PS Vita missing a Europe christmas? bad move

- Proven fact that handheld releases of popular ps3 franchises (lbp, modnation, etc) sell far less then ps3 counterparts.

- Nintendo has mario kart and mario 3d coming out this year.....games that each sold over 20 million on the ds.

- most sensible gamers are waiting for the price cut/slim 3ds like nintendo ALWAYS does with handhelds.

Only Mario Kart sold over 20 millions.



Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
sales2099 said:
its simple: 3ds

- the headstart is a no pressure way to gain a free lead. Bad launch lineup? who cares when ur competitor isnt out yet?

- PS Vita missing a Europe christmas? bad move

- Proven fact that handheld releases of popular ps3 franchises (lbp, modnation, etc) sell far less then ps3 counterparts.

- Nintendo has mario kart and mario 3d coming out this year.....games that each sold over 20 million on the ds.

- most sensible gamers are waiting for the price cut/slim 3ds like nintendo ALWAYS does with handhelds.

Only Mario Kart sold over 20 millions.

NSMB sold over 25 million and is the best selling game on the DS.



"I don't understand how someone could like Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, but not like Twilight!!!"

"Last book I read was Brokeback Mountain, I just don't have the patience for them unless it's softcore porn."

                                                                               (The Voice of a Generation and Seece)

"If you cant stand the sound of your own voice than dont become a singer !!!!!"

                                                                               (pizzahut451)

sapphi_snake said:
Beuli2 said:
sales2099 said:
its simple: 3ds

- the headstart is a no pressure way to gain a free lead. Bad launch lineup? who cares when ur competitor isnt out yet?

- PS Vita missing a Europe christmas? bad move

- Proven fact that handheld releases of popular ps3 franchises (lbp, modnation, etc) sell far less then ps3 counterparts.

- Nintendo has mario kart and mario 3d coming out this year.....games that each sold over 20 million on the ds.

- most sensible gamers are waiting for the price cut/slim 3ds like nintendo ALWAYS does with handhelds.

Only Mario Kart sold over 20 millions.

NSMB sold over 25 million and is the best selling game on the DS.

Apparently, you want to compare a 2D Mario sales to a 3d's one, what is as hilarious as it can get.



Above: still the best game of the year.

Beuli2 said:
sapphi_snake said:
Beuli2 said:
sales2099 said:
its simple: 3ds

- the headstart is a no pressure way to gain a free lead. Bad launch lineup? who cares when ur competitor isnt out yet?

- PS Vita missing a Europe christmas? bad move

- Proven fact that handheld releases of popular ps3 franchises (lbp, modnation, etc) sell far less then ps3 counterparts.

- Nintendo has mario kart and mario 3d coming out this year.....games that each sold over 20 million on the ds.

- most sensible gamers are waiting for the price cut/slim 3ds like nintendo ALWAYS does with handhelds.

Only Mario Kart sold over 20 millions.

NSMB sold over 25 million and is the best selling game on the DS.

Apparently, you want to compare a 2D Mario sales to a 3d's one, what is as hilarious as it can get.

Well, I believe he's the one who made that comparison, not me.



"I don't understand how someone could like Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, but not like Twilight!!!"

"Last book I read was Brokeback Mountain, I just don't have the patience for them unless it's softcore porn."

                                                                               (The Voice of a Generation and Seece)

"If you cant stand the sound of your own voice than dont become a singer !!!!!"

                                                                               (pizzahut451)